Saito2

Bigwig or Terra Scorcher re-re runner

Trying to decide between getting one of these for a runner. I've been on fence on getting a Bigwig for some time now and had almost committed until I saw the Terra Scorcher will be in the same price range. While I have a couple Hotshot series runners, the Bigwig is just so...well, Bigwig! The big wide chassis that I fully intend on equipping with a 8.4v battery to the rack and pinion steering and unique look all at a relatively good price point have been tempting me. I also have some spares tucked away for Hotshot buggies too.

The Terra Scorcher is no slouch either. I ran a Thundershot re-re years back and it was quite light, nimble and quick. I don't have any spares for T-shot buggies. 

Both kinda represent the top for each respective buggy line. So, I turn my internal debate over to you, TC'ers.

I agree, dude get both.

I have the bigwig and it is really cool. The GT tuned motor, the detailed engine and exhaust pipes, rack and pinion steering, etc. makes for one of the better cars I've driven. The paint and decals takes paitence, skill, and proper Tamiya tools/tapes/paints. The bigwig was the celebration for Tamiya 10 years. Body designed by some famous dude. The Terra Scorcher while cool can't claim any of this.

I have a very strict rule. I do not use re-re decals. I use original decals....

IMG_5526.jpg

IMG_5559.jpg

• Like 2

I had a Bigwig as a kid. With the Technigold motor it was fast, but the steering was a disaster with the weak and slow servos of that time. In addition the overall high weight of the Bigwig made it sluggish. Especially compared to the Kyosho Optima or Rocky, which were in the neighborhood. But nowadays the Bigwig can be made very attractive with modern components. Good steering behaviour, reduced overall weight, agile handling... the disadvantages of the Bigwig from the past can be eliminated. This buggy is really fun. The new terra scorcher certainly is too! To choose between both is a difficult decision.

IMG_20200205_103644.jpg

• Like 1

If its for running / bashing the Terra will be the MUCH better buggy.

If its for shelf its your choice.

If its for the build as you have some HS already do the Terra to see all the changes from the HS chassis. . 

Pro's for the BigWig re-re

Comes with GT motor as stock

Pro's for the TS re-re                                   

Next generation chassis with almost no carry over parts (the centre drive shaft is common) as such a different build for you.

Lighter buggy with less parts 

easier to upgrade than the BigWig (see some of what @ThunderDragonCy has done to his ThunderDragon)

Better steering and handling.

IF you go this way and the A5 is unchanged build it with the A5 metal brace in front or do one of the Super A5 parts with pins.

easier paint job (no different colours)

I have all the buggies from both families as had one (Boomerang & Thundershot) from each back in the day, I have rebuilt/restored, NIB re-re built all of them in the last few years.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Baddon said:

If its for running / bashing the Terra will be the MUCH better buggy.

I have been wondering about this. I dont have a Thundershot chassis buggy but have the Boomerang and Top Force and the difference is night and day between those 2. The Top Force is very close to a modern race buggy in terms of performance on the backyard track (not saying it would compete with modern race kits in a club race, but it is much much closer to a modern buggy than the Boomerang, Novafox or Monster Beetle which all have similar performance).

I take it the Thundershot would sit in between in performance terms - is it closer to DF01 or Hotshot?

I guess that DF01 was about the time when the design was pretty much settled and so buggies have become homogenous since then?

• Like 2

I have a Bigwig which I race sometimes at my local track,  which is mixed AstroTurf and pretty bumpy. It goes well for what it is,  but as its a fairly small twisty track the lack of steering lock does not help. I am using a Savox 1258tg servo which has plenty of power. The only solution would probably be to try some heavy mods and install a twin bellcrank system similar to modern race chassis. I don't know the steering layout of the Scorcher though,  but from pics I have seen I would guess it would work better on track. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 2:58 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

I take it the Thundershot would sit in between in performance terms - is it closer to DF01 or Hotshot?

Its been many years since I drove my Thundershot, but its definitely closer to the DF01 IMHO. The Hothot series is good for what they are. They have a certain heft or bulk to them that affects how they respond. I actually find this endearing. Their ball jointed front suspension/steering design is obviously dated. The Thundershot feels far lighter and less complex to build. The only thing really old school about it is the monoshock (moot point for the Terra Scorcher) and the high ground clearance. It definitely works on older, rougher tracks. I'd say it feels fast, but a bit more "on edge" than the DF01 handling-wise. Personally, I since I don't compete, I find this more engaging. The DF01 can be boring at times for me but not the T-Shot and definitely not the Hotshot series.  

On 2/5/2020 at 3:05 PM, StueyS said:

It goes well for what it is,  but as its a fairly small twisty track the lack of steering lock does not help. I am using a Savox 1258tg servo which has plenty of power.

This is something that concerns me. My Bigwig shelfer displays this lack of lock. I want it to be at least as maneuverable as the Boomerang. I first thought Bigwig, now I'm leaning to a Terra Scorcher with appropriate spares (knuckles, possibly gearcases, etc.). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I have been wondering about this. I dont have a Thundershot chassis buggy but have the Boomerang and Top Force and the difference is night and day between those 2. The Top Force is very close to a modern race buggy in terms of performance on the backyard track (not saying it would compete with modern race kits in a club race, but it is much much closer to a modern buggy than the Boomerang, Novafox or Monster Beetle which all have similar performance).

I guess that DF01 was about the time when the design was pretty much settled and so buggies have become homogenous since then?

I only have a brief feel for DF01s and i can barely remember what a stock Thundershot chassis feels like, but my instinct is the Terra Scorcher has a more vintage feel. Although the steering arrangement is quite modern, the steering angle available is still a bit limited, but it does work really well compared to a boomerang. They also proper vintage ride height, but pop some 3mm spacers in all the shocks to lower them down and bit and they move well. I had half an idea to buy a scorcher to have a stock chassis, but my modified one is so good and there's a reason i made all the changes.

Other thing in favour of the bigwig is proper sized wheels with narrower fronts. The weird thundershot size wheels and rear width front wheels don't help handling balance. You'll need something with more common sizing if you are going to run it a good amount. That said, get some cheap 2.2" runner wheels with appropriate tyres and ditch the rear sway bar and the Scorcher will be a fine thing to drive. 

• Like 2

This is a conundrum (light hearted one!) But never the less! Both are cool rc's so which ever you pick you probably won't be disappointed! I was always underwhelmed in the bigwig back in the original days considering at the time it was the top one in the hotshot range my boomerang would run rings around it and like many people have said the steering although cool in its design in race conditions not so cool, after my boomerang I had a terra scorcher but by then all the other manufacturers had upped their game so I was then always on the back foot! Putting early race days behind and now I just think it's what takes your liking and purely on how cool it looks the bigwig just peeps the terra scorcher at the post but this is where I contradict myself the terra scorcher is a better designed racer! 

20180125_121705.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/6/2020 at 11:54 PM, stockae92 said:

So what if I also throw Top Force into the mix? TS vs BigWig vs Top Force as runner? 

If for JUST back yard duty either. If you are heading to the track go for the top Force. And I disagree with an above comment. The top Force will do ok against modern hardware with the some reliability mods. They handle great and other than a slipper clutch which can be worked around with modern esc and throttle curves. 

• Like 1

I already have a Top Force runner but I'll probably never get up the courage to go to a track. Technically, I have some running experience with all three chassis types. Its been 10 years or more since I drove my Thundershot which is now restored on a shelf. I have a Bigwig shelfer and drive my Hotshot cars a good bit, but have never wheeled the Bigwig which was suppose to be Tamiya's ultimate take on that platform.

• Like 1

I got the Bigwig. Oddly enough, I just had it out for its maiden run today. I ran it old-school with an 8.4v pack but I did use one of my more powerful servos. It was interesting. The Bigwig is heavy in this configuration but its also very fast. The lack of steering lock did worry me when building it but I don't think it was too much of an issue running it. I'd say it falls in between Boomerang and Hot Shot/Super Shot steering performance. The Boomer was very neutral in steering and the HS was quite understeery. The Bigwig would understeer going into a turn at full blast. However, if I backed off the throttle just a bit, the front would grab and it would pull tightly (for a HS series buggy anyway) through the turn. The big 7 cell transverse mounted battery certainly played a part in handling dynamics. There was alot of visible lean through turns and on high bite surfaces, it would roll. My Hot Shots never stop understeering long enough to even start to roll, lol. All in all, an impressive and fun ride. 

• Like 2