kwkenuf

Clod Buster Basher

It's a familiar story to us all... I always wanted one when I was younger, but never got one.  The Clod Buster and Kyosho USA-1 are mine.  I happened upon this one on a certain auction site.  Set a price, and happened to get it.  Here's some pics...

As you can see, it's not exactly pristine.  I didn't pay for pristine.

iD2Cu7Y.jpg?1

Chevrolet grille and tailgate!

9JZ7c0m.jpg

qq4ZKWa.jpg

Original msc.  And it came with a Futaba Magnum Junior radio, that doesn't work.

Fqe3VNA.jpg

2BYm7aB.jpg?1

I am going to stop the post here.  Mostly because this was all known when I made the purchase.  But there is more...

• Like 2

So I win the auction.  It happens to be in the same state as me, about 3 hours away.  Auction won Sunday, seller shipped out Monday, arrived at my shop Tuesday!  Sweet!  Like I showed earlier,  it is an original Clod with the Chevy grille and tailgate.  I start going through the box of stuff and I find three things that made me a very happy person...

HicW8V5.jpg

Yes, there was also another Chevy grille and tailgate (still on the sprures) and the original decals in the box!  The seller never mentioned them in the ad.  I consider that a big score!  And I think I know what I will be doing with them....

kWaQgZt.jpg

Another story mixed in is the fact that I already had a Black Clod on pre-order.  And it came the next Monday after this vintage one.  But, I am not going to get into that right now though, that might get it's own build thread.

• Like 1

The plans for it...  use it as a basher of course!  It was said that it works with a good remote.  So that's job one, make sure it works as is.  Once it works mechanically, do a couple of the basic and easy upgrades.  Then, or at the same time, strip the paint off the body and repaint it. 

Pretty simple first step, hook up a good radio and see if it works.  Guess what,  it does!

ueDz9jm.mp4

ueDz9jm.mp4

That's all the further I got.  Next I am going to open things up and see what it's like down in the guts of it.  Maybe put a different servo horn on.  I also have an esc that I can put in it.  Adjust some steering stuff.  I dunno, it will be an unplanned adventure of sorts.

Oh yeah, one other thing, Super Clod parts can be dyed...

F0ytDSc.jpg

Fab - I’m going through a rebuild of 2 clods at the moment side-by-side

i was going to just get a super clod but then lie doesnt do it for me 

awesome on the OEM stickers and extra grill and tailgate - gonna get a good chunk of your money back for them :)

JJ

Killer deal on that truck & the extras.  Thinking about selling the spare grille, tailgate, & decals?

12 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Fab - I’m going through a rebuild of 2 clods at the moment side-by-side

i was going to just get a super clod but then lie doesnt do it for me 

awesome on the OEM stickers and extra grill and tailgate - gonna get a good chunk of your money back for them :)

JJ

I have been following your builds.  Yours will progress faster than mine will so I for sure will be paying attention.

10 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Nice to know SuperClod parts can be dyed; I may want to consider that in the future...  Thanks!

I had been looking for the black parts specific to the chrome version of the Super Clod.  Can't find them anywhere.  My Black Clod is going to be all black!  No red parts.

8 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Killer deal on that truck & the extras.  Thinking about selling the spare grille, tailgate, & decals?

The grille for sure is going to go on the black one when I build it.  The tailgate and decals are up in the air right now.  Not considering selling them at the moment, tbh.

Don't blame you, I'd hang on to them myself :)    Good luck with the builds!

Some people say that the clodbuster is so big, it has its own moon.

And one tyre weighs more than 3 baby elephants.

All we know is that it's called the clod. :)

On 2/5/2020 at 6:28 PM, kwkenuf said:

kWaQgZt.jpg

Another story mixed in is the fact that I already had a Black Clod on pre-order.  And it came the next Monday after this vintage one.  But, I am not going to get into that right now though, that might get it's own build thread.

What's with the 1976 stepside kit, is parts of it used for a Clod or something? 

2 hours ago, Rainman said:

What's with the 1976 stepside kit, is parts of it used for a Clod or something? 

Inspiration for retro paint scheme?

@Rainman  @wolfdogstinkus   Neither actually!  That is the only picture of the Black Clod I have,  and the 1/24 model happened to be in it.  I received all that in the mail the same day.  I have a 1:1 Chevy squarebody,  but I had only been able to find the 1/24 models in GMC variants.  So,  when I saw this Chevy version,  I grabbed it!

I do have a couple of ideas bouncing around in my head for the paint on this basher Clod however.  By the time I get to that point I hope to have settled on something.

I took the electronics out of it last night, but no pics.  Putting in an ESC and a new radio.  I also am going to do some steering changes while I have access to it.  New servo should be here today.

• Like 1

I have a stock clod. So I will watch with interest. I am a bit apprehensive to start on the clod after poor Chuck Norris cried when I told him that my 8 year old's lunchbox is more powerful than he is. 

I think news of me upgrading the clodbuster would finish him. 😄