smirk-racing

XV-01 - sloppy?

I have two xv-01, both used. One was a bit rough, but the other had only ever been test driven and then stored on a shelf. That one had been built by a very experienced hobbyist. 

Both vehicles have pretty significant slop in the suspension arms, bearing holders etc. There is a fair amount of back and forth movement of the suspension arms (when there should be almost none). 

Is this normal for xv-01s? 

I intend to buy a brand new kit and build it for myself, but until then I am curious about your experiences.

Thanks!

I have yet to build an XV-01, but from my experiences building similar higher level kits such as the TB-03 and FF-03, I'd say that is normal. Like the XV-01 both feature high quality plastics and both benefited from a couple of shims here and there to eliminate unwanted play. I guess Tamiya consider play better than binding, and I would tend to agree. Adding or removing shims is easy and reversible. Modifying parts to eliminate binding, not so much. 

• Like 1

Yeah, my xv01 is the sames. 

In fact most of my cars are to a degree without shims - the only one that isnt is the tt02-types S, but that kit comes with shims.

• Like 1

I shimmed mine from standard, drove it in the dirt once, then took it home and removed all the shims. A little bit of slop seemed to be necessary to cope with 1/1 scale dirt. 

that being said I’ve got less than a mm slop without shims so not sure quite how much slop you have there. 

my FF03 and TT02S both have a little bit of slop. Not enough I’m going to get upset about it. 

• Like 1

I have an XV01-T and it’s very taut out of the box. I only used the spacers etc suggested in the manual. As mine is used on all sorts of surfaces any very slight slack seems to be beneficial. In fact if anything I would say it has less slop than the TT02-S I’ve just built though I am still playing around with the rear geometry!

• Like 1

A car with minimal slack is noticably more precise and responsive, but requires frequent cleaning to remain nice and free. The dirtier the conditions that you run in, the more slack the car should have to prevent binding. Carpet cars- almost no slop, 1/8 outdoor nitro- almost worn out. Bound up cars drive far worse than not-quite-razor-sharp ones. Still, I'd check for proper assembly and settings, just to be sure.

• Like 1

Tamiya gets a bad wrap often about its slop.. yes some kits have much more than others, M chassis in particular. I will tell you that even Xray has some slop. 

Slop equates to a forgiving car during incidents. So for general use on tarmac etc it’s more than fine.

when you decide to race, slip becomes more of an issue but still is ok to have some as crashing is imminent.

• Like 1