Spike

Round case LiPo for vintage chassis

I've just tried fitting my ancient Yeah Racing round hard case LiPo pack in my TA03 chassis and there's no way it's going to fit without some serious plastic chopping.

I've seen some other guys using the Yuki round hard case Brainergy packs but they're pricey. Has anyone found a cheaper pack that'll fit in a chassis that was originally designed for NiCd/NiMh stick packs? I know there are a couple on eBay but when I asked the seller he doesn't know if they'll fit in a vintage car.

Thanks

• Like 1

Check out Reedy Wolfpack batteries.  They're the same size as a NiMh stick pack, but they're Lipos.  Hardcases too.

Venom makes some non-hardcase stick packs that are the same size as Nimh as well.

Core RC rounded LiPo batteries are also a good match for old-school NiMH battery bays. They fit all my cars, old and new.

• Like 3

@TurnipJF is that this one?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-4000mahr-7-4v-30-60c-2s-lipo/rc-car-products/388538

I have a round gensace which fits my Boomerang and Top Force but is too long for the F103.  If this one fits the F103 then I'll grab one, especially since my NiMH have started packing up after 3 years of abuse.

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-4000mahr-7-4v-30-60c-2s-lipo/rc-car-products/388538

I have a round gensace which fits my Boomerang and Top Force but is too long for the F103.  If this one fits the F103 then I'll grab one, especially since my NiMH have started packing up after 3 years of abuse.

It is that one. I have two. It is a bit longer than a regular Nimh though. Worth checking dimensions. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Yes, that is the one. It is tight but it fits the F103. The plastic case is the right length, but the rubber grommet around the wires is quite thick and makes it a bit tricky to get the battery clip back on, so I find it easier to put the battery into the chassis wire end first, then put the clip on the non-wire end. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 4:50 PM, 78Triumph said:

Check out Reedy Wolfpack batteries.  They're the same size as a NiMh stick pack, but they're Lipos.  Hardcases too.

Venom makes some non-hardcase stick packs that are the same size as Nimh as well.

I have been using the Venom packs for some years now. They are not hard case but they are wrapped in foam and shrink wrapped. Not the best cells in the world but more than adequate for low powered Tamiya cars.

3 hours ago, Otis311 said:

I have been using the Venom packs for some years now. They are not hard case but they are wrapped in foam and shrink wrapped. Not the best cells in the world but more than adequate for low powered Tamiya cars.

Yep, my Venom pack is still going strong after two years of use. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the late response but thanks for the suggestions guys.

I took a chance on a rounded LiPo budget pack off of eBay from a UK seller (Vapextech) and bought a 3300mAh rated pack for £20.95 delivered. I got lucky - sort of. The pack fits snuggly in the standard plastic TA03 chassis but is a few mm longer than a NiCad or NiMh packs so the battery stopper won't fit in the chassis anymore. Fortunately the battery is a good fit and won't fall out easily and I've used part of an old body post in the battery stopper hole in the chassis to secure it.

Hopefully Mr Tamiya will modify the chassis moulding to accommodate modern batteries in the re-release version of the TA03 when it's released later this year :)    

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 1:27 AM, Spike said:

Sorry for the late response but thanks for the suggestions guys.

I took a chance on a rounded LiPo budget pack off of eBay from a UK seller (Vapextech) and bought a 3300mAh rated pack for £20.95 delivered. I got lucky - sort of. The pack fits snuggly in the standard plastic TA03 chassis but is a few mm longer than a NiCad or NiMh packs so the battery stopper won't fit in the chassis anymore. Fortunately the battery is a good fit and won't fall out easily and I've used part of an old body post in the battery stopper hole in the chassis to secure it.

Hopefully Mr Tamiya will modify the chassis moulding to accommodate modern batteries in the re-release version of the TA03 when it's released later this year :)    

I did not know TA03 is being re.released. i hope they include the TA03F Lancer and oh I remember the David Jun TRF chassis.  Its been a long long time. Today I looked at my 7.2 NiCDs and NiMHs and boy they are heavy and some pricey back then. Trinity, Orion, and the yellow Sanyo packs.wow memories.

I am going to get a few round packs. THANKS!