This has probably been done already, but a browse through the incredible collection of @mackerb03 got me wondering about my favourite vintage box art. Bit different to favourite model, this is solely about the front of the box.

For me, Clive, it's the Wild Willy:

spacer.png

Up until then, Tamiya had always gone 'left-front angle' or 'right-front angle', with the occasional raised viewpoint when they felt like pushing the boat out:

spacer.png

The red and black stripe behind the Super Champ was the very first hint of excitement, and then suddenly there was the Wild Willy, in side-on profile and wheelie-ing away. There was mud splattering out behind the wheels, there was a ridiculous driver, it just looked amazing. Then, clearly, whoever was responsible got sacked for this transgression, and we were back to boxes showing cars looking like they were mid-way through a three-point turn in a Sainsbury's car park:

spacer.png

The Frog and the Grasshopper, with their vaguely military stripes and airborne postures, at least tried, then the Hornet kicked off the excellent 'cornering at high speed' phase of boxes, of which the crowning glory is clearly the Wild One:

spacer.png

As I said, nothing to do with favourite model - I don't own a Wild Willy, and I don't particularly want one, but the box art is just brilliant. What about you? Maybe you love the Blackfoot, because the helmet-less bloke driving it looks like he might be on his way home from work:

spacer.png

Or maybe you're not into the whole landscape thing, and for you it's all about the Road Wizard:

spacer.png

No wrong answers here, (so long as no one starts going on about the worst box (because that's clearly the Porsche 959...))

• Like 1

From a strictly nostalgic point of view I am very fond of the Grasshopper original box art and of course the Clod.  Blackfoot is great too.  Now that I think about it, they're all pretty cool...

• Like 1

Love the Hornet kicking up that dirt....and will always remember the Hotshot. That box art stuck with me more than anything, it was the rc car I couldn't have during childhood.

I think they are all brilliant hot one better than the other! but for me and pure nostalgia because it was my first "proper" rc has to be the Ford ranger my parents didn't have to pennies to rub together but saved all year to buy me a deal from Beattie's when it first hit the shops..........very fond memories:wub: the only other one I will mention is the thunder shot simply because I always thought it was the only one that looked better on the box art than the actual model itself? Just my opinion:D

Tamiya-Ford-F150-Ranger-XLT-1.jpg

• Like 1

I always loved Tamiya's boxes. Not sure if it was the actual box, or just seeing that big broad image of the car you are about to build that awaits inside. But, I loved setting that big box on the kitchen table, looking down on it just before I opened it to reveal a bunch of parts, screws, etc and anticipating building it. I really enjoyed that back in the 80s. I loved running them of course, but to be honest, I enjoyed building them just as much, if not more. But that said, my personal favorite box is the Wild Willy. Maybe I am biased, as that was always my favorite car, but I also think it's the coolest box art because it was drawn in a little different style than the rest. It is more of a charactachure of the car, with that *******ed off face of the Wild Willy himself, than a more technical image the rest were. It just had the most impact IMHO.

• Like 2

Super Champ was my 2nd, Not but a week or two after I bought my Wild Willy. That said, I LOVE that "NOW IN STOCK" poster.. 

Slightly off topic but for years I always thought the Ford ranger driver figure reminded me of something/someone but I could never put my finger on it then it hit me!.......Michael Myers from the Halloween movie's

michael-myers-2.png

tamiya-ford-ranger-vintage-driver-blackfoot-sand-scorcher.jpg

• Haha 1

Always like a repeat run topic + everyone is (subjectively) right 

What interests me is less what people think looks good - more why the effort / art that went into each box facia differentiates from another ?

Anyone can pick a favourite - but why is the detail, perspective, insets, dynamism, tone, contrast and uniqueness the best Tamiya produced ?

So - to pick my bid ... the 959 is the most iconic, detailed and pivotal piece of box art ever 

Nothing else held similar global branding, cut away finesse or rally dynamism leaping into your chest from a model shop shelf

And with that - over to anyone who thinks differently 😂

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 11:24 PM, Bwaaatch said:

Interesting choices. But the correct answer is this ...

C9F9EE72-4D84-43FC-BB02-F774824ABB42.jpeg

I'm still waiting for an avante empty box on ebay to replace the one my wife destroyed when she put the iron on the shelf next to my avante box and the iron fell against it and emptied the entire content of water on the shelf then the box slowly soaked it all up! To say I was a bit miffed was the understatement of the last million years!

angry-frustrated-man-with-funny-stress-face-expression-C1P638.jpg

10 hours ago, moffman said:

I'm still waiting for an avante empty box on ebay to replace the one my wife destroyed when she put the iron on the shelf next to my avante box and the iron fell against it and emptied the entire content of water on the shelf then the box slowly soaked it all up! To say I was a bit miffed was the understatement of the last million years!

angry-frustrated-man-with-funny-stress-face-expression-C1P638.jpg

Well, at least you have retained enough perspective to replace the box, not the wife. Tough call, probably the right one.

• Like 1

TBH I probably won't survive without my wife!  but that was a very trying moment and it's only a box and on the bright side the box front is now on my wall in my man cave so it's not all lost!

Shout out for one of the best pieces of box art being used on one of the most universally despised buggies 

Tamiya-57002-Box.jpg

The feeling of motion and action is incredible and the weirdness of the car works perfectly. Shame the model is fairly anaemic in the flesh.