futureworks

Tamiya FS12-LT refurb - what am I missing?

Hi there

I've just bought what I think is a FS12-LT. I think it is complete with the obvious exception that it has no pull starter. I’ve never stripped one of these engines down before, so wanted to check if I’m missing anything (at the pull starter end) that I won’t get if I purchase a new tamiya recoil starter. Second question is that whilst I think it’s a 12, there are no markings that I can see, so how would I know it’s a 12 and not 15? It’s a TM-4  muffler if that’s a clue by the way. 

I’d be grateful for some shared wisdom please!

6C44129D-9360-496E-83DB-06003870A1BB.jpeg

95379D2D-8E7D-4BB7-8C06-49640DB723BB.jpeg

Thanks Mike, thought as much. What I really need is the schematic sheet with all of the part numbers listed which came with these new - anyone got a scan to share for the FS12-LT..?

• Like 1

Hi,

If its an FS-12LT there should be a printed 12 on the exhaust side of the engine on the flat plate. However at first glance it does look like one. As mentioned above you are missing the starter shaft, backplate, backplate gasket, 4 screws for the backplate and then the one way bearing and the 4 screws that hold the recoil on.

This is what you need

spacer.png

Thanks for the scan Adam, and yes I did eventually find the ‘12’. I’ll have to see what turns up 2nd hand if this is going to be worth repairing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, futureworks said:

Thanks for the scan Adam, and yes I did eventually find the ‘12’. I’ll have to see what turns up 2nd hand if this is going to be worth repairing.

I can help with most bits I think, apart from the recoil. There is one on EBay now though. I will have a look this weekend 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 5:50 AM, acprc said:

I can help with most bits I think, apart from the recoil. There is one on EBay now though. I will have a look this weekend 

Any luck finding some of the parts?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, futureworks said:

Any luck finding some of the parts?

Not had a chance yet as away from home on an unexpected business trip for a few days. Back Thursday so will look then. I certainly have the screws as I buy them in bulk. I think I have the backplate gasket as well. I just need to confirm the backplate size etc.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 1:34 AM, acprc said:

Hi acprc,

Do you by chance have more info on this engine? Essentially I am looking for info on tuning the engine. But would settle for the manufacturer guide. Would I be asking too much for you to share what you have on this? 

Best regards

Troy

spacer.png

• Like 1