DGunn1

Avante and egress diffs ??

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been raised and answered before, had a quick search but please redirect where necessary.

I've almost enough spares to build an egress/avante hybrid, ie egress chassis and locked centre diff parts but not the front or rear ball diffs, however I do have a pair of avante gear diffs.

Questions are:

1. Will they work in harmony or will the egress locked centre diff result in early wear/destruction of the avante gear diffs?

2. Any thoughts/experience of how well this combo will run or is it better to wait and source egress ball diffs?

3. Centre diff options, what's better and why- avante ball, egress locked or one way torque splitter?

Thanks in advance

Think of it like this, the setup you're suggesting is no different to the transmission most 4wds cars run now. The avante \ egress line have a center ball diff / one way roller to aid cornering and help prevent understeer, but I don't think it will adversely affect it running the locked centre diff. When I had a Vanquish I used run that with the centre diff tightened right up.

I agree with @MadInventor.

1. Avante planetary gear diffs are plenty durable from what I know. Furthermore, the center ball diff isn't a slipper so it wasn't designed with protecting the drivetrain in mind anyway. Although I could see ball diffs providing some type of "cushion", its not really what they are made for.

2. Shouldn't really run any different than a stock Manta Ray or Thundershot, etc. from a drivetrain standpoint.

3. Honestly, I've read good things about triple ball diffs on TC, i.e. Avante center ball diff paired with Egress front and rear ball diffs. I'm not an expert on racing these chassis by any means however.

As all said. Locked center Egress without the one-way will drive like a classic gear diff Tamiya. I'm my opinion the ideal is a (3) ball differential set up, it's what I run in my Egress. Add some putty to the Avante gear differentials to add some resistance so they don't diff out.  I just discovered differential putty, it's fantastic!

It'll be totally fine. My runners have all sorts of combinations. My 5p - load up the front diff with Tamiya Anti Wear grease to stiffen it up, and put less in the rear. That'll help quell the chronic oversteer the chassis can display. :-)