Sign in to follow this  
salvine

TA01 Hummer question

Kind of want to add one of these to the collection but would like to make it a bit more scale in its speed. What have people done to make this happen. I know gearing is pretty limited for these gearboxes. Would like to still have some speed out of it but also able to drive it more like a scale crawler if possible. Thoughts?

In my experience, it's not really suited for crawling, but that does not mean it's impossible.  

As @Superluminal said high turn motor would be a good option.  I think 35 turn should still have some speed. It will give you more control at lower speed, also you can set a limit on the top speed with EPA((End Point Adjustment).  When you want the speed, you can undo the limit. 

RC4WD brand motors say,

27t motor = 15000 rpm (Tamiya silvercan says 14500)  

35t motor = 12000 rpm

45t motor = 9500 rpm

• Like 1

I've run a bunch of different motors in my Hummers, but as you said gearing options are a bit limited.  They're really geared for speed, but you can definitley slow them down and crawl with them with some success.  Currently I'm running a 55t RC4WD and it's working well for crawling.  I've gone as high as 80t with the smallest pinion option, but it just stalls out on inclines.  I think 45-55t is the sweet spot for these.

There are a bunch of other things you can do to get them to be capable crawlers such as locking the diffs, raising the suspension a bit, better tires, etc.  The best thing you can do is make a custom plate chassis which gives a ton of extra ground clearance.  With this done it will do nearly as well as a 4-link truck when driven properly.  

Here are some photos of my plate chasis trucks, they work very well and takes a different skill set to drive them as opposed to traditional crawlers.  Fun little trucks.

IMG_4893.JPG

IMG_4894.JPG

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4209.JPG

IMG_4210.JPG

• Like 3

Good info. Doubt I will need to build special chassis though. I will likely try to figure out a way to put some type of gun mount on it.

I was looking at a new unused body set in Japan and then a partial build complete kit with box came up on ebay. Pulled the plug on that since by the time the body shipped and addit parts were sourced it made more sense. Have people found and correct scale accessories for these? This one screams to be modded with some weapons sys of some sort.