I'll start this one how all project start as first the idea of a modern Clod with a few subtle changes to add some influences from the same model of Hornet.

Namely the few challenges were how to get enough pink and purple on the axles and chassis without going overboard. I have a JW Hornet unbuilt with a few spares such as gearbox in purple, bumper and some other parts that I could use as samples to try and mix the right color. 

This begins my path down the rabbit hole

Somewhere I had read from a restoration thread that PS paints work well on abs parts and that they take the paint well, perhaps that it etched into the plastic a bit and left a reasonable shine. So that's what I tried on some test pieces only to find that PS purple is much too dark, too much blue and not bright enough. Eventually through some tests I found that where I had sprayed florescent pink and then purple next to it the transition color was very close. I next tried decanting PS spray using a a straw and a few videos as guidance. It worked but made an awful mess.

Some quick work in fusion and I had designed a reasonable nozzle for a press fit straw that worked well after printing it out.

The 3 pictures below are the roller I bought for parts, somewhere in the middle and recently.

Screenshot_20200115-002214.thumb.png.32f9f57959dcfe4cfb001cca3123ba07.pngIMG_20200114_235353.thumb.jpg.68ff9ff504d8a42cce7d6c01aa2f9045.jpgIMG_20200203_173448.thumb.jpg.3fc7d0c46ba82593b774b52a3cfac8a2.jpg

• Like 4

I still haven't picked which tires to run, the lighting kit is designed and built for the JConcepts Silverado body. I am deciding the best way to do the lights. I have small polycarb lenses I have printed that I think I will utilize. The grill itself is installed inside of the shell and I think looks realistic enough for what I was trying to accomplish while still offering some protection. I don't think that it needs it, maybe on a future version I will see how it works to actually cut out the opening for the grill and taillights to install flush. That is how they are designed but I don't believe it necessary. 

I do realize that actual monster trucks don't have lights but this is a Clod, and Clods look best with a detailed nose to me.  Here is the first vid below.Next one is recorded, should get edited relatively fast.

Feel free to comment or give me ideas for this or the next one. I sort of want to do another with at least a color flip or...

I like it.

Pink n purple Crazy friesian polka dot toy monster truck, sure why not. My thought is lose the chrome & get some colour on those ladders. Maybe a blacklight & a strobe too.

49513659921_51ce289898_b.jpg

Awesome - love the effort and attention to detail :)

3 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Awesome - love the effort and attention to detail :)

Thanks Ax. It was a bit tedious to get the matching of colors. The recipe for turning blue parts purple for instance turned out to be diluted hot pink RIT dyemore  until the right shade got picked up. Incidentally I still need to re -dye all those test parts for putting together the next truck. I am custom machining my own ally frame using stock clod dimensions.

If you have seen it in one of the FB pages, the tailgate has something special for my daughter. It's all masked, just awaiting some more ps-5.

Masking is TPU at 0.5 mm stuck with glue stuck to the lexan with glue stick. I used that for adhering it to my print bed for easy release with hot water.

IMG_20200208_121031.jpg

• Like 1

Run the Giant Tracs if they're usable. I love seeing those, even though I hated them back in the day