TurnipJF

"FOR THE MOGS!" - TT-02 charity build

8 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Have the drive shafts / axles arrived yet?

They didn't arrive in yesterday's post, but they may have arrived today - I'll let you know when I get home.

• Thanks 1

So I arrived home last night to find Willow looking after a parcel from @Superluminal and Colin:

2020-02-26_08-46-03

Inside was a brand new set of TT-02 C parts containing the axles, dogbones and outdrives:

2020-02-26_08-57-11

The dogbones look virtually identical to the ones from the TT-01, but are about 1.5mm shorter. The axles and outdrives have very different-looking cups with angled inner edges and different profiles at the bases of the slots. 

• Like 2

With the correct drivetrain parts in place, the uprights fit without anything binding:

2020-02-26_10-13-58

• Like 1

This allows the dampers to be fitted too, along with the bumper:

2020-02-26_11-15-10

2020-02-26_11-14-44

The dampers are new CVAs from my TT02 Type S kit, a lot better than the stock pogo sticks and hopefully making the car a bit more desirable. 

• Like 1

I fitted the optional receiver box, which hides a lot of the cosmetic marking to the chassis tub and negates the need for an antenna holder:

2020-02-26_11-14-22

Inside is an Acoms 27MHz receiver from my wife's stash:

2020-02-26_11-14-32

• Like 1

With wheels fitted, it is starting to look very much like a car:

2020-02-26_12-23-49

These are the zero-offset wheels that came with my TT-02 Type S, which are probably not going to be the final ones for the project as they give a very narrow track width:

2020-02-26_12-24-02

We'll probably want something different to better fill the arches of whatever body we end up using. 

• Like 2

After a discussion with my wife during which it was decided that my TL-01LA should be wearing a CLK GTR shell, it was decided that it's current shell could be donated to the charity build. So, unless anyone fancies donating anything better, the car will be wearing this:

2020-02-27_12-12-29

I think it will look rather good adorned with some custom cat-themed vinyl stickers. 

• Like 6

I figure that the chances of anyone having any spares of the D parts that we need are pretty slim as they are used on every TT-02 variant, so since my plans to attend a Tune & Test session at Force Raceway have been scuppered again, I decided to use the entry fee to buy a D parts sprue instead. Hopefully in the next few days we'll see a bit more progress, with the spur gear cover and propshaft bearing holder going on.

• Like 2

It looks like we might also need to buy the other sprues containing the last few bits to finish this build, so in order to fund this, as well as hopefully a few upgrades to our own cars, my wife and I have decided to sell our RC boats. If anyone is interested, here is a link to the ad:

I don't really have much of an online presence apart from here on the Tamiyaclub forum - I don't do Farcebook or anything like that - so if anyone fancies spreading the word to any non-forum-regulars who might be interested, that would also be appreciated!

• Like 1

A big box arrived today:

2020-03-09_09-38-38

All of which was for but a single sprue:

2020-03-09_09-39-17

However this means that the chassis now has a propshaft bearing holder:

2020-03-09_09-39-40

As well as a spur gear cover:

2020-03-09_09-40-18

This is just resting in place for now. It will be screwed down once we have a motor installed.

• Like 2

Brilliant stuff - glad to see it get this far.

Was that sprue donated or did you end up having to make a purchase?

Theres some parts on the tt02 where its really annoying they arent available as individual spares - body mounts particularly as you need to get two whole sprues full of loads of uneccessary parts just for them.

We ended up having to purchase this sprue. I suspect that we may need to purchase a few more too before the project is done. Body posts and servo mounts just don't seem to be the sorts of things people have unwanted spares of. It would be nice to be able to buy them separately, I agree. 

Just to let everyone know that this project is on hold until after the Coronapocalypse.

The idea was to raffle it via the local Cats Protection charity shop as an entry into the exciting world of club level RC racing, which according to the latest BRCA notification will not be happening for the foreseeable future. 

But fear not - if we survive, the project will continue when the world gets a bit closer to normality. 

• Like 5

Hi TJF,

I found a set of WW2 body posts, which you are welcome to if they are of any use to you.

ATB

Simon 

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately they use a different fitment to the TT-02 ones, so won't work on this build. The thought is appreciated though!

Hey TurnipJF, did you ever finish this build?  I'm helping a friend with a TT-02 rally bitsa project.  Like you I had a ton of spares left over from various projects/hop-ups.  We were short B and C sprues along with a bumper.  I think we're all sorted out now but those darn C sprues are out of stock like EVERYWHERE.  Must be people are taking all this time off to wrench on their R/Cs.  :O

The build is almost complete, but the last few bits were proving very difficult to source. It still needs body posts and servo mounts. I could probably bodge something for the servo mounts using TL-01 parts and spacers, but the body posts are stalling things. Added to that, our plan for raffling it off involved co-operation with the local Cats Protection charity office, which is closed for lockdown.

However the almost-complete chassis and spare parts are safely stored, waiting for some semblance of normality to return to society. (And for some kind person to donate some body posts!)

• Like 1

@TurnipJF, are there any of our resident 3D printing geniu...genii... experts who could put these into production?

Whoever puts them into their Shapeways store ought to make some money back (I think that’s how it works!) and TCers could bulk buy to off-set postage.

I have a few of the M04 posts from @VagabondStarJXF which certainly seem to be up to the job (not that they have been used in anger yet).

A real shame if this is (nearly) the only thing holding back the build. 

• Like 2

If the posts could be 3D printed somebody could do well out of it. TT02 posts are like hens teeth and I think you end up with even more spares as they are on a mixed spree. May even have to buy two to get full set. I resorted to extension posts fitted to some very short ones to reuse them as they had been cut to use on with another body.

With the world slowly returning to some sort of normality, I think it is time to get this build going again.

With Tamiya announcing the release of alloy servo mounts for the TT-02, I will be getting some for my TT-02 Type S as soon as they come into stock, freeing up the plastic ones currently fitted for this build.

I have also purchased a nice new bodyset and wheels for my TL-01LA, freeing up the Scooby shell and wheels shown a few posts back.

All of which means that the only parts that lie between us and a complete auction-able car is a set of body posts!

A long shot I know, especially at this point in time, but I don't suppose anyone out there has some going spare?

• Like 2

Hey @TurnipJF I reckon i might be able to help, I seem to have loads of spare TT02 bits knocking about.
Let me know what part numbers you need and I’ll go through the boxes 👍

• Like 1

Excellent! Thanks!

The parts still needed are the front and rear body posts and their little spacers, parts 4, 5 and 6 on the B sprue, P/N 51528.

This is the same sprue that carries the suspension arms, so I am hoping that someone bought it in order to get some spare arms, and has no need for the posts that come with them.

• Like 1

So I sifted through the piles of plastic TT02 spares this morning and alas no body posts, I've used them all. Sorry about that :(

I do have spare servo mounts though, having built my RR with an Eagle Racing alloy servo mount. Do you want them, rather than waiting for the Tamiya aluminium ones to be released?

IMG_6616.jpeg.2150031419836cc240af411da6339a6f.jpeg

IMG_6614.jpeg.07de2a4da8832042cd32feebf9c07b2b.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Juhunio said:

So I sifted through the piles of plastic TT02 spares this morning and alas no body posts, I've used them all. Sorry about that :(

I do have spare servo mounts though, having built my RR with an Eagle Racing alloy servo mount. Do you want them, rather than waiting for the Tamiya aluminium ones to be released?

IMG_6616.jpeg.2150031419836cc240af411da6339a6f.jpeg

IMG_6614.jpeg.07de2a4da8832042cd32feebf9c07b2b.jpeg

Ooh yes please!! I'll PM you my address.

• Like 2