TurnipJF

"FOR THE MOGS!" - TT-02 charity build

We don't have a brushless motor, spur gear cover or propshaft bearing holder yet, so I am skipping a few steps and pressing on with the suspension.

Upper arms are in place:

20200217_091943

• Like 2

The steering assembly is in place, with adjustable rods on brass balls in place of the fixed length plastic stock items:

2020-02-17_03-22-02

They are unlikely to make a difference to a casual basher, but if the car ends up being bought/won by someone with entry level club racing aspirations, hopefully they will be appreciated, along with the other little planned improvements such as full bearings, CVAs and hopefully a 17.5t motor that will set this car above a bone stock build. 

• Like 3

"Houston, we have a problem."

20200217_145255

Having tried all of the above axles, dogbones and diff outdrives in different combinations, I can't get to an arrangement that doesn't bind. Either the dogbones are too long, or the recesses in the axles and outdrives are too shallow. 

The parts tried are those that were donated, along with some from my own DT-02, DT-03, DF-02, TT-02B and TT-01, which appear to be slightly different to the ones used on a vanilla TT-02.

At a guess, since several aftermarket dogbones are sold as fitting both the TT-01 and TT-02, the difference probably lies in the outdrives and/or axles. Does anyone have a spare set of vanilla TT-02 axles and outdrives they are willing to donate?

If you have no luck with these and want to crack on I will add a tt02 c parts onto an an order im about to place - theyre not pricy by any means.

Or on the other hand I thoughf it might be nice to see if it could be upgraded to the type s metal dog bones and drive shafts /cups etc but there seems to be sod all in stock anywhere. Theres a few little running bits recently that I took for granted would always be in stock somewhere that now cant get. Hopefully doesnt indicate anything serious.

If your happy to wait for other bits to be available I will donate some metal outdrives but not sure when the 42mm dogbones will be available.

• Like 2

I have a bunch of TT01 parts, along with doubles of TT02 parts you already have. I have a set of wheels and tires for you if you want, along with 4 nylon lock nuts. I'm sure I can scrounge up a bunch of body clips and other generic parts... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

If you have no luck with these and want to crack on I will add a tt02 c parts onto an an order im about to place - theyre not pricy by any means.

Thanks, that would be great!

I was thinking about trying to get the metal drivetrain upgrades, but then I remembered that some clubs disallow them in their beginner classes, so I think that the stock C parts would broaden its appeal. 

44 minutes ago, GooneyBird said:

I have a bunch of TT01 parts, along with doubles of TT02 parts you already have. I have a set of wheels and tires for you if you want, along with 4 nylon lock nuts. I'm sure I can scrounge up a bunch of body clips and other generic parts... 

Sounds great, thanks!

When looking for suitable axles earlier, I found far more TT-01 parts than I thought I had in my stash, so maybe we can build a charity TT-01 too?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Sounds great, thanks!

When looking for suitable axles earlier, I found far more TT-01 parts than I thought I had in my stash, so maybe we can build a charity TT-01 too?

I’m happy to contribute to charity build two TJF 👍

• Thanks 1

Great job so far @TurnipJF. Sorry about the outdrives, they were from my TT-02B I'd assumed they'd have been the same as a regular TT-02. I'll have another dig about just in case I missed anything.

Think a second TT-01 is a great idea if we can. 

• Like 2

No worries - if this becomes the first of a series of charity builds, I'm sure they will find a use. 👍

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone who has pledged and/or posted parts for the build so far - things are looking good!

My wife (who also loves cats) has also come on-board with the build, having just ordered us a foam bumper for the project.

The list of things we still need donors for is looking pleasingly short now, reading as follows:

• Servo mounts A12 x 2
  • Body posts B5 & B6 x 2
  • Propshaft bearing holder D2
  • Spur gear cover D3
  • Aerial mount D12
  • Bodyshell

Can anybody spare any of the above?

24 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Got the c-parts with drive cups, dog bones and axles. Will pop them in the post to you tomorrow

Resized_20200220_200349_3439.jpeg

Excellent! Please pass on our thanks to Colin. 🐱

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

What kind of wheels and tires are you going to use?

I'm not sure yet. A lot depends on what sort of bodyshell we manage to get for the project, and what offset will go with it. I have a few sets in my stash that I'd be willing to part with if they work, and of course if anyone has anything better that they'd like to donate, that would be most welcome. 

I have the set that came with my tt02-s pretty standard 5 spoke 0 offset with slicks. If you want them let me know by pm address etc.

9 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I have the set that came with my tt02-s pretty standard 5 spoke 0 offset with slicks. If you want them let me know by pm address etc.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted. 

We have a bumper, courtesy of Mrs Turnip:

2020-02-22_07-17-34

It is the short one from the drift spec kit, which gives us maximum freedom for bodyshell choice as it should fit under all but the shortest front overhangs. 

• Like 3

Thanks to @Grumpy pants, we have a lovely new battery, a brushed speed controller, a Tamiya connector to return it to the stock arrangement and some spare servo mounts. 

2020-02-25_08-30-20

All are bound to come in handy, especially if we try to build a TT-01 next.

• Like 3