Tedtf

Plasma Edge TT-02B Hop Up Parts?

I just found my old Tamiya Hornet in a box in the garage and it has renewed my interest in building R/C again.  I purchased a Plasma Edge II and am considering a bunch of hop up parts for it, but not sure what I "need".  Any advice is appreciated.  Not looking to go brushless at this time.

Sealed bearing kit

Tamiya 53068 Sport tuned motor

Tamiya 54556 and 54557 - Front and rear damper stay set.  I also considered the Yeah Racing Aluminum essentials kit.  i think these would be redundant if I buy Yeah kit? ??

Tamiya 54501 Aluminum drive shaft

Tamiya 54574 Aluminum racing steering

Tamiya 54575 Aluminum steering bridge

Tamiya 54558 Aluminum motor mount

Tamiya 54815 (OP1815) TT-02B Reinforced Gear Cover & Lower Suspension Arms - I think these would be redundant if I buy Yeah racing kit. ???

Tamiya 54539 RC TT02B FULL TURNBUCKLE SET

95mm and 70mm alumnium adjustable spring dampers.  I think these are made by gpm

The reinforced gear cover helps reduce broken diff ring gears by reducing flex in that area. Personally I’d go down this road plus the Tamiya FRP or carbon shock towers instead of the yeah racing kit. The yeah racing kit will just add a lot of weight, those alloy parts will bend (and stay bent) instead of flex in a high speed crash as well as potentially transfer energy into other parts of the car. Breaking those as well. Generally arms and towers as alloy are not recommended. 

the stock shock towers are horrid flexy crappy things and the positions offered limit your ground clearance. The Tamiya FRP or carbon towers will eliminate the flex and give more options for shock mounting so you can squeeze a little more ground clearance out, especially once you add the DF03 damper kit.  

I would avoid GPM, 3racing or Yeah racing buggy dampers they are all pretty terrible and won’t really be much of an upgrade over the Tamiya plastics, and will probably be less reliable, it’ll just be wasted money. Visit my buggy damper thread for the lowdown on Tamiya dampers.

there is a Tamiya alloy steering kit for TT02 that comes with everything but the turnbuckles for TT02B (which is why it says it’s incompatible, it’s only those 2 turnbuckles that are not compatible the rest fits) 

the plastic dogbones work well, but they can limit steering and suspension travel so while not needing replacing immediately it’s something to put on the long term list. 

you might like to consider a 13.5t brushless sensored motor instead of the sport tuned. It won’t be that much more money, just keep in mind you need to reprogram the esc so don’t lose its instructions. (You can download them online). 

there is a number of nicely build TT02B’s buried in the build threads it may be worth looking at those as well. 

Juls

• Like 1

Do not add the fiberglass front shock towers, they are terrible and i broke 3 until i had no choice and went to aluminum. I got aluminum because tamiya had not released the carbon ones yet.

5 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

Do not add the fiberglass front shock towers, they are terrible and i broke 3 until i had no choice and went to aluminum. I got aluminum because tamiya had not released the carbon ones yet.

Whenever I have a car that eats frp or carbon towers I just buy 2 and glue/bolt them together. Never have a issue ever again. That being said I’ve had no issues with my frp ones, but I’m only running 13.5t and I’m not being too hard on that car.

2 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

How?!

I ran FRP towers for nearly 4 years and never had an issue.

What is the plan for the buggy? Hop ups get expensive really quickly and the TT02B isn't a race buggy and will never be a great performer.

If you just want to do it for the sake of it then go nuts.

If you are looking for a big gain in performance then spend the money elsewhere.  Either a race kit from someone else (Losi, Associated, HB etc), or something like the DB01 (getting hard to find now) or even a rerelease Top Force. The Top Force is a really nice kit and will outperform the TT02B out of the box.

1 hour ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

How?!

I ran FRP towers for nearly 4 years and never had an issue.

One was a rollover at a park going very slow actually must of been the way it hit. Another was driving in the woods, got stuck between a downed tree and branch it tore right off. The last was a crash by my daughter. The only one which i can see happening is the crash due to the high rate of speed. 
Besides the shock tower issue i can say the tt02b ms is very durable, nothing broke and since switching to the aluminum 3 yrs ago i havent had a problem. 

Hey, looks like a great project. Since it's been a while since you posted, I wondered how things were going?