Sign in to follow this  
goth brooks

new to the world of 1/10 scale rc

for my 35th birthday i balled out and got a nib tamiya honda crv kit to build up and paint just like the one i own in real life.

i plan on it being a runner, not a shelf queen, and a few other places ive poked around for info on the innernet say to replace the stock bearings immediately. ive done that, but what else should i replace before i start building the chassis and airbrushing the body. 

im an embroiderer by trade so i already have plans to sew a custom spare tire cover and ditch the hard plastic one. 

i cant wait to dive head first into this. 

• Like 4

Welcome!

In addition to the obligatory bearings, a ballraced steering rack is a very good idea, as is a steel pinion to replace the soft alloy one. A metal motor mount also helps with cooling. And then there are the rear links - JunFac's 4-link kit is probably one of the best out there. 

The CC-01 chassis is a classic. There is a ton of info on the web to check out. One thing off the top of my head is to shim the gears in the rear axle. The gears mesh too loosely when built according to the instruction manual.

And I second the recommendation to replace the stock steering setup.

• Thanks 1

CRV is nice, rarest CC01 these days :) 

Bearings is the only essential hopup. Everything else is just nice2have. 

Think my CRV kit might've come with an MSC, don't use that run an ESC instead.

so im assembling this kit and having a blast but im not quite finished with it yet. how sparingly should one use the little tube of ceramic grease that comes with the kit? use a lot? use a little? maybe this should be moved to another part of the forum, but its my thread and ill do what i like. 

C355966F-4E95-4584-B942-128FA8BECEA5.jpeg

46DDB523-45D9-4075-B44F-550CD654EEE6.jpeg

I quite like how mine handles the rough stuff with the rear diff locked and the front slowed with AW grease. The ceramic stuff I use sparingly on the gears in the gearbox and rear axle where they are protected from dirt, but the exposed bits such as dogbones and suspension pivots I leave dry.

On 2/11/2020 at 6:45 PM, Otis311 said:

One thing off the top of my head is to shim the gears in the rear axle. The gears mesh too loosely when built according to the instruction manual.

u3GoYFZ.jpg

To elaborate on what @Otis311 said, the gear mesh is not supported securely.  So the gears spread apart under load. 

The teeth will meet at the tips only.  You'd end up hearing clicking noises.  When you open it up, you'll find that the teeth are destroyed.  

(below is from a different axle. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time this problem appeared in Tamiya axles.)  

G0z2HFz.jpg

To prevent that, a lot of people just add bushings.  That pushes the diff gear toward the smaller bevel gear.  

Gears don't spread apart, and the problem is averted.  

tfFnzgk.jpg

• Like 2