Sign in to follow this  
Jontea

Hobbywing motor/esc connection

Am I right in assuming that these are mini bullet connectors? Solder to a/b/c leads from esc, plug into brass caps a/b/c on end bell of motor.

IMG_20200211_181532.jpg

Those look like they might be adaptors to allow smaller male bullets to fit larger female ones?

• Thanks 1

Gonna put everything in place (dry run- no sticky tape), then solder esc wires direct to the motor. Bout time I reassessed my soldering skills anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Those look like adaptors to allow smaller male bullets to fit larger female ones. 

aren't they just the "springs" to corally plugs? (never seen them sold separate before though)

Otherwise once you get them in the tube... they'll wanna grip tight & good luck getting them out again

16 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

aren't they just the "springs" to corally plugs? (never seen them sold separate before though)

Otherwise once you get them in the tube... they'll wanna grip tight & good luck getting them out again

Good point. Perhaps they are spares to replace those that come fitted to the motor when they wear out?

2 minutes ago, Jontea said:

They came with the motor. Pic of what I've got.

IMG_20200212_182704.jpg

Err no... think you're meant to solder each wire into the "valley" of each of those plugs on the motor. The notch is there so you can solder straight-inline or lay it down perpendicular, whichever suits your install better. 

Spring doesn't go there. 

Then once you've soldered it... you'll amazingly discover the 3 Orange/yellow/blue knobs are actually plugs :) yes they'll unplug, just pull them straight off. They are corally style tubes.

The corally style male/terminals stay on the motor's circuit board tab. The springs are part of the terminal. 

Have never seen spare springs supplied before. Sometimes Hobbywing has supplied a 3set of extra plugs with motor combo, even though there's a set already on the motor (that many don't realise it's a plug). 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Good point. Perhaps they are spares to replace those that come fitted to the motor when they wear out?

Perhaps! They do break a few strands after some use, never tried seeing they'll dismantle. The springy collar is free to spin on the male prong's shaft... held in by the knob on the end.

Maybe that unScrews...?! :ph34r::lol::rolleyes:

Well done! Just checked, and the coloured bits are plugs. Thank you very much. Must be spares.

Now that you know - Best not to do your soldering with those plugs on the motor, take them off first. Especially if you're inexperienced and may take more than 5-10s of heating to make a good joint. 

Otherwise the corally prong will soak up all your heat, it might unsolder off the circuitboard. Plus if you're really unlucky the heat will flow inside the motor and start unsoldering stuff inside too. :) Fat high-current wiring also conducts heat efficiently. 

You'll need a decently powerful soldering iron; one with decently beefy "heat mass" is better still. Wattage helps it get up to temp faster, but you also want enough metal mass to bank up enough heat to get the job done fast. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2020 at 12:35 PM, Jontea said:

Am I right in assuming that these are mini bullet connectors? Solder to a/b/c leads from esc, plug into brass caps a/b/c on end bell of motor.

IMG_20200211_181532.jpg

Yeah, I dated a gal years ago where I had to use those.. ;)

That would mean either she was "slack", or you have a rather tiny willy (the anatomically correct word gets ****** out). Best not to dwell on it.