The Twingo Lord

Powering 2 ESCs with one battery

I've done it in boats loads of times. It allows you to Tank steer a boat by using Rudder and Aileron channels on a 4 channel set. If you have mixing on your set you can do a whole load of things. You need a y lead made up. Maybe get less run time etc though. Be careful how you connect to the reciever as you in effect have two BEC circuits feeding in to the receiver. You can disable one of them by removing one wire from the plug but for the life of me I cant remember which:(

Yes! 
This is how I built my first robots many moons ago (with tamiya dual gearbox) and I still use a lot of twin escs to power tank drive robots and rc platforms from 75g to 110kg. It all works the same in principle. 

You will just need either a 2 into 1 plug adaptor or to solder the power in wires together. You will need to remove, either unplugging or clipping the red wire from one ESC so you don't risk your RX.

Be warned, most RC car escs are unsuitable because of the non instant reverse, lower powered reverse rate and brake delay. Crawler ESCs do not have this issue. 

1 hour ago, Hobgoblin said:

Yes! 
This is how I built my first robots many moons ago (with tamiya dual gearbox) and I still use a lot of twin escs to power tank drive robots and rc platforms from 75g to 110kg. It all works the same in principle. 

You will just need either a 2 into 1 plug adaptor or to solder the power in wires together. You will need to remove, either unplugging or clipping the red wire from one ESC so you don't risk your RX.

Be warned, most RC car escs are unsuitable because of the non instant reverse, lower powered reverse rate and brake delay. Crawler ESCs do not have this issue. 

Do you know of any cheap crawler ESCs?

Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 has the ability to go directly to reverse with no brakes.

• Like 2

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-x-car-45a-brushed-car-esc.html?queryID=b0057bfab365b217b57faf8abd9b0fce&objectID=48605&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

Will work with programming, as will the 1060. 

However, if you are only using small motors (130) why waste big and bulky escs? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223787562024

I have ordered a few of these to test out for small robots, I'll double check they tick all the boxes. 

• Like 1

You could also recycle the circuit board out of servos... they're pretty much an ESC if you disconnect the pot. :) 

Better still just use the whole servo (lookup "360 mod") & you'll get a motor & gearbox too :D lots of mini skidsteers built from 2 servos. 

• Like 2

Deans Marine a model boat company makes a series of model boats that use servos in place of esc and motors. There is a kind of Tutorial on their site how to do it