toyolien

Motor upgrade for Comical Grasshopper. Brushless?

I'm just about to start building up a Comical Grasshopper and can't decide on which motor to use. I'm defintiely not going to use the stock silver can as i want something a little quicker. The options that I already have are:

Tamiya 23t BZ with 1060 esc.

Hobbywing 10.5t Quicrun with 10BL120a esc (i think this will be a little too fast)

Hobbywing 10BL60a esc and buy a 13.5t motor.

I will be using nimh batteries in it also. I've never ran brushless on nimhs before. Do they work ok? I prefer the idea of a brushless motor that's more efficient and easier on maintenance etc...

What motors are you using in your Comicals?

A 60A ESC and 13.5t motor seems to be the sweet spot for many Tamiyas. That is what I have planned for my Farm King.

1 minute ago, TurnipJF said:

A 60A ESC and 13.5t motor seems to be the sweet spot for many Tamiyas. That is what I have planned for my Farm King.

That's what i was thinking. Just wondered how it would run on nimhs i guess. Probably smoother than brushed with slightly better tun times?

7 minutes ago, toyolien said:

will be using nimh batteries in it also. I've never ran brushless on nimhs before. Do they work ok? I prefer the idea of a brushless motor that's more efficient and easier on maintenance et

Yes they do. I have 3 that run on them, a 10.5T, 13.5T and a 4300KV.

As @TurnipJFsays 13.5T seems to run well on a lot of Tamiyas. Mine is in an Asterion and it is a big improvement over the supplied sport tuned motor. Also can be used with tble02 if one came with the kit. Saves having to get a new one

10.5T is too hot for the TBLE technically though I belive people do run them with fans etc. I would think 13.5 would be plenty for what your looking for.

The Blue can ones on ebay are good value. Come with a shortish sensor lead. Have found them quite clicky at low revs?

I'm gonna get either the Hobbywing Quicrun or SkyRC Ares. As i don't want the sensor lead coming out of the back. I'd rather it come out from the edge of the endbell if that makes sense.... Probably just me.

1 minute ago, Busdriver said:

I know what you mean, sometimes things just have to look right:wub:

Exactly. Clean and tidy wins the race :D