Badcrumble

Badcrumble’s M05-RA

I never meant to have an M05-RA. I happened upon a Tamico sale before Christmas and snapped up a 2CV Rally, primarily for the body and wheels.

8113C292-9B3F-4CF6-980B-B0C0F95DD43A.jpg

Then @Percymon put some M05 hop-ups up for sale. All of a sudden, a new project was born...

Step One

78308F40-710D-4A09-BC97-244D8E68F908.jpg

First step, first hop-up. Alloy servo mount.

Step Two

29578C62-D420-4AE7-A60B-39B0D922E304.jpg

Includes alloy motor plate.

• Like 7

Step Three

42C2C4FE-234A-42C6-B26B-89C7DD96F186.jpg

Woah! I now have a very stiff diff when turned by hand. I think I have put way too much in though I didn’t use that much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Arent the gears the wrong way round? ie bevel in not out!!!

Well spotted! They were, it was soon rectified but I forgot to take another photo. If only I could follow simple instructions....

• Haha 3

it used to bother me the details that my camera would pick up after i posted a pic, then i'd have to go back to correct or touch up. so it's a blessing in disguise.:)

• Like 2

It was not expensive to go for the M05ver2 chassis parts tree. In order to fit Lipo batteries. Thats what I did and ended up with a spare M05 hah

mine is waiting for steering hop ups. 

Step Four

DDA785F7-B243-4BC0-B6EE-7FFD02938383.jpg

Small step, no hop-ups.

@Fabia130vRS, I only have NiMH batteries at the moment and I think the alu motor plate doesn’t work with the ver2 chassis.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

@Fabia130vRS, I only have NiMH batteries at the moment and I think the alu motor plate doesn’t work with the ver2 chassis.

I believe you are right, but that means I bought the alu motor mount for the ver2. Also suspension arms are different and king pins instead of screws. 

interested how the build will go on.

Step Five

320051F8-E516-4E6B-A4DE-3CB5D54AC5E7.jpg

Step Six

2003CB94-BAF4-4E48-8D75-D5DACE5EC839.jpg

And this is where things start to go wrong...

49B9CFCD-590C-406C-B059-0971FD057D6E.jpg

The gear shaft of the smaller gear will not seat in the chassis half, meaning I can’t get the chassis halves together. I have tried both the kit and the hop-up shafts, same issue.

Anyone with previous M05 experience offer any guidance?!

I can't say I had any issues with this win building my M-05. However it is highly unlikely that there would be the same production issue with both a kit and a hop-up shaft, which suggests that the issue lies with the chassis. I am guessing that you have checked for things such as moulding errors or moulding flash/debris caught in one of the shaft holes?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the chassis, I was expecting a few mm of the shaft to ‘seat’ in the recess.

09CE3432-0C0E-4D69-8562-364AEA9E6B42.jpg

Thinking I might need to take a file to it to open it out? 

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

This is the chassis, I was expecting a few mm of the shaft to ‘seat’ in the recess.

09CE3432-0C0E-4D69-8562-364AEA9E6B42.jpg

Thinking I might need to take a file to it to open it out? 

If it isn't seating, yes. The end of the shaft should be right up against the bottom of the recess. 

Just now, TurnipJF said:

If it isn't seating, yes. The end of the shaft should be right up against the bottom of the recess. 

Thanks, that’s what I thought. I’ll get my calipers on it tomorrow to see how much needs removing and grab my reamer / files. Worst case, I’ll order another chassis (cue M05 number two...) or the lovely Renault 5 for a full set of spares and a shelfer body I’ll never display!!!

• Haha 2

Oh dear, not a great start. Was hoping to see a long thread of hop ups ;);)

I’m waiting on Tamico while they liaise with their supplier. On the plus side, it allows more parts to arrive...there will be plenty of hop ups @Percymon 😏

Any update?  I would have hoped Tamico would have sent out replacement cases the next day !

Nothing yet. If I haven’t received the chassis by the end of next week I will get in touch with Tamico again. 

Replacement chassis received! It had been  with a neighbour since Sunday but I was unaware. Off on a work trip now so hopefully re-start the build on Friday.

• Like 3

Good news, hopefully the replacement is correct and you can get back to enjoying the build 

Have you decided what you are going to do with the body. Box art or something else?

Sorry just realised you answered sort of earlier in the thread

Edited by Busdriver
Didnt read all posts carefully