Badcrumble

Badcrumble’s M05-RA

A hop-up for the next step

34AA3F5F-8999-4B23-98CA-FF7CBA5E2EAE.jpg

@Busdriver, I have actually changed my mind and am going box art...just not the 2CV Rally box art...

• Like 2

Well, my first g/f had a red and white Dolly so I suppose I should do a replica but...no. You’ll have to wait and see.

Was the issue with gearbox halves that the holes were not moulded properly? Glad you got it resolved but never seen that before!

Step 9. More sponge tape...

B163F46F-8F31-43FE-B8D1-43851928D037.jpg

Just the one hole for the shorter gearbox shaft @Superluminal. I wasn’t expecting it so I was convinced that I had done something wrong! The replacement slotted in perfectly.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

The full hop-up steering set installed in all its glory.

That is admirable commitment to Tamiya originality. I considered such a setup for mine, but just couldn't get over the eye watering cost of the Tamiya parts compared to their perhaps not quite as well-made but similarly effective Yeah Racing equivalents.

• Like 1

I like it...but no...

As for the hop-ups, I was lucky that a bunch came up for sale - building this chassis wasn't even on the radar, I had just wanted the shell, wheels, tyres and ESC.

I have, however, subsequently fallen farther down the the hop-up rabbit hole...

• Like 2

Hop ups are dangerous, to me anyways, and very time consuming.

i'll take two they're small:lol:

• Haha 1

@ACCEL, I know what you mean! Though buying hop-ups means that I resist buying more cars I don’t have room for / won’t finish or ever run!

Step 12

DA53F7FE-88E4-4884-B1ED-FC1791AD674E.jpg

Motor installed with added hop-up screws!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

@ACCEL, I know what you mean! Though buying hop-ups means that I resist buying more cars I don’t have room for / won’t finish or ever run!

What's this now? Buy hop ups INSTEAD of new cars??

sounds like you got Cerrazzyvirus man! Go isolate yourself and think about what you said before you spread those dumb ideas to others on here!

• Haha 4

Not exactly skipping a step - I will build the dampers - I sealed the edges of my hop-up damper stays.

ABFD1D81-E714-49F4-81EE-7A7AF3527DAE.jpg

• Like 2

Glad to see you are making progress, and the hop-ups hoard is going to good use !

No recent progress, unfortunately. The car is in the office and I am working from home. Hoping I can get back in there soon for at least some of the time or retrieve it.
I also need to order the body and wheels.

Itching to get back into this build!

So now I have the chassis back home from the office I thought I could start making some progress.

I’d had plans to cap this with a finished body - the yellow Suzuki Swift - as they were c.£30 on eBay. Unfortunately, stocks have disappeared over lockdown so I’m back to having to cut, paint and decal my own - something I was hoping to avoid as I just wanted to get this out and running.

So I have ordered a GoPro Swift shell and wheels. Except that you can’t easily get the blue ones anymore and I have managed to order the wrong white ones. Oops.

Leafing through the manual I had a revelation - you can have this chassis as short, medium or long. I have a knackered old Mini Cooper shell somewhere in the garage. So now I have a decision to make. Knackered old Mini or shiny new Swift...?

• Like 1

I'd vote for the shiny new Swift. The chassis is better behaved in MWB format. SWB can be very twitchy. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2020 at 11:36 AM, Badcrumble said:

Step 11, minus the page of the manual.

D69BC834-78D7-4632-980E-AC4C7440CD77.jpg

I think I'm down a worse rabbit hole than you are! At the time I had a rare bit of extra money.... I wanted to get a M05 Kit - on purpose!! :P Of COURSE at the time, it seemed like there were NONE available in the U.S.!! 

So I got the crazy idea to build one PIECEMEAL! :rolleyes: Because money IS tight, most of my hopups have been Yeah Racing.

Hit a snag... Cash ran out - STILL need Parts Trees D and F, and Parts Bag A. :(

I'm doing the CRX Body. Likely Brushless, because I'm a nutty Old Fart!! :P

If anyone's got spare parts...

Also, what Pitch of Pinion do I need? I'd appreciate any help I can get.

DEFINITELY watching this Build!! Looking forward to seeing what you end up with for the Body! B)

Hi @Carmine A, here's the excerpt from the manual if that helps

Screenshot_20200608-1156412.png

I like your body choice, please post it up when you get your build going. I'm still going with the Suzuki Swift but the Go Pro livery.

• Thanks 1

@Badcrumble I'm afraid I can't see the image. All I've got for web access is an old Android Phone... If that makes any difference.

The Swift will be SWEET! I'll be posting a build thread as soon as I can get parts Trees D and F, so I can actually get started...

Since I'm piecing this together, I've decided to use all Hex Head Screws. I guess that's a bit of an upgrade!! ;)

@Carmine A, sorry posted my link badly - have another look! Going full hex is definitely an upgrade. Watch out for the servo mount screws - the part was amended and an insert to the manual provided - I'll see if I can find it!

• Thanks 1

@Badcrumble Thanks!! I found that suppliment bag with the spacer and longer Screws in the Parts Tree B I bought. Now I know why.

The picture is helpful, but I need to know what Pitch the Pinion Gear is. .06? .05? 32p?

32 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

@Badcrumble Thanks!! I found that suppliment bag with the spacer and longer Screws in the Parts Tree B I bought. Now I know why.

The picture is helpful, but I need to know what Pitch the Pinion Gear is. .06? .05? 32p?

Aha! Obscured in my previous photo - 0.6 pitch.

• Thanks 1