slimleeroy

Remove permanent marker from lexan

I have recently got hold of an old firedragon chassis which has a terra scorcher shell with it.  It looks like it has been painted with a combination of paint and permanent marker.  I have used tamiyas polycarbonate cleaner to remove the paint no problem however it won't touch the marker pen.  This will have been on there a long time and was wondering what will bring it off?  Any thoughts ?  Thanks

Alcohol wipes did a good job on fresh marker pen. 

Can't say if it will work on the stubborn.

Just test an area to make sure it doesn't melt or scratch the lexan.

Not sure if this product is available where you are, but Goo-Gone has worked perfectly for me.  Normally used for removing adhesive residue, a little bit on a paper towel dissolves and captures Sharpie marker dye effectively.  Then wash the shell in soap/water.

https://googone.com/shop-categories#original

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bromley said:

Nail varnish remover or white spirit should shift it.

I would also try with nail varnish remover. But it should be without acetone.

A white board marker over the top of a permanent marker will remove it from white boards, maybe worth a try? Run the white board marker over the permanent, then wipe off with a cloth

• Like 2

Be careful with the nail polish remover, it may haze the body or make it brittle. Make sure test it first.

i have had good success with zippo lighter fluid. It worked well and did not affect the body.

• Like 1

I've used regular alcohol based hand sanitizer gel to remove permanent marker from clothes. Read it on line and was sceptical but it removed every last trace of it like magic! Worth a try....

I found Denatured Alcohol worked well (not on porous surfaces so much) but some reason can not purchase said product in sun shiny state anymore.

oh well for me back to belt sanding things off, that'll getm':lol:

On 2/14/2020 at 9:48 PM, mtbkym01 said:

A white board marker over the top of a permanent marker will remove it from white boards, maybe worth a try? Run the white board marker over the permanent, then wipe off with a cloth

This is good advice 

stubborn ones use another perm marker to “soften” the old stuff and wipe quickly with aftershave or any of the other techniques 

wd40 often works 

I always have some old aftershave on hand though for things like this 

JJ