Blissard

Recommend me a speed controller

I am looking for a super simple speed controller with Tamiya plug that works right out of the box, works flawless and does not require programming or anything complicated. It should also be able to switch between front and reverse without stopping, like police cars in american movies, and not brake when I move the stick to neutral.

I have novak, kopropo and aqua craft esc's. I can't get any of them to work, they sometimes blink, sometimes run at full speed after 100th try and they don't have reverse. I hate them all.

My electronic knowledge comes from plugging my phone charger into wall so I won't understand any numbers or terms. Just an ebay link would be great.

• Like 1

I feel really sorry for the gearbox of the vehicle that you want to put this speed controller in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

I feel really sorry for the gearbox of the vehicle that you want to put this speed controller in.

I am going to use it on my Kyosho surfer mostly along with Bruiser and Rough Rider. I don't intend to drive forward-reverse and drive reckless if that's what you mean, I just don't like holding the car in neutral for a few seconds before being able to change the direction. Also I would like to use reverse as a brake immediately to prevent from crashing or going downhill by itself.

Few years ago I bought Kyosho surfer 3 and it came with a Team Onion esc and it was perfect, I just remembered that. I lost that surfer though.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Wow, I didn't know that they made a surfer!  

Kyosho Surfer is the most fun I ever had with any rc. I lost my first one in SF because of an electronic problem and than bought 2 more.

• Like 1

That looks like a ton of fun.

As far as an ESC I guess I would recommend a Hobbywing Quicrun 1060.

11 hours ago, Otis311 said:

That looks like a ton of fun.

As far as an ESC I guess I would recommend a Hobbywing Quicrun 1060.

Thank you, from the photos it looks just like the team onion esc that came with the surfer. Could it be same product but different brands ? If they are the same specs, which I don't know anything about, then it is exactly what I need.

I have 2 questions;

-Can same esc be used in both boats and trucks ? It says watercrafts on a website.

-Can I cut the wire that goes into receiver to swap with an old style wire to fit my vintage receivers ?

Fwd/Rev with no brake is called "crawler" mode.

Quicrun 1080 is popular with crawler guys; don't know if 1060 can be switched to crawler function. 

These days ESCs are so efficient they barely get warm; old ESCs meant for boats might have provision for water cooling their heatsink in the hulk where they don't get airflow. 

Servo signal from RX is 3 wires... red +ve, black/white -ve and blue/yellow/etc for signal. Long as you rewire the correct wire to the correct terminal you won't release the magic smoke.

36 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

Fwd/Rev with no brake is called "crawler" mode.

Quicrun 1080 is popular with crawler guys; don't know if 1060 can be switched to crawler function. 

These days ESCs are so efficient they barely get warm; old ESCs meant for boats might have provision for water cooling their heatsink in the hulk where they don't get airflow. 

Servo signal from RX is 3 wires... red +ve, black/white -ve and blue/yellow/etc for signal. Long as you rewire the correct wire to the correct terminal you won't release the magic smoke.

Thank you for the information. From what I see 1080 looks very complicated and requires programming. I have a novak duster esc with programming and I can't get it to run, car drives reverse only.

Go for the 1080. It is perfect for your applications and is easy to program since it comes with a programming card. 

The 1060 has crawler mode. You just move the jumper on the ESC. About as easy to program as possible.

The 1060 is the cheap and cheerful option,  but, the fwd/rev jumper does give a drag brake in neutral. 

In Fwd/Br/Rev jumper setting, you can, double tap, reverse and they go fairly quickly into reverse, but the brakes are quite poor. 

I use the fwd/rev jumper setting in all my 1060 equipped cars, and alter the reverse strength on the transmitter to give really good ,adjustable ,brakes.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Blissard said:

I will go with 1060 since it's simplier and cheaper. I didn't know simple stuff still existed.

Pretty much the goto brushed Esc the world over.

Runs down to a 12t motor on 2s or 18t on 3s, with Lipo cut off, simple , cheap and does everything you'll need! 👍

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

The 1060 is the cheap and cheerful option,  but, the fwd/rev jumper does give a drag brake in neutral. 

Ah ok, thanks for confirmation :) was mucking about with 1060 on bench wondering if it'll drive a winch, felt as though it was jamming up when in neutral when trying to pull out the winch cable. 

4 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

Ah ok, thanks for confirmation :) was mucking about with 1060 on bench wondering if it'll drive a winch, felt as though it was jamming up when in neutral when trying to pull out the winch cable. 

Yeah, from trying different ways,  I've found the drag brake to be stronger in fwd/Rev than in fwd/Br/Rev! 

Try swapping to that jumper setting and see if it's any better.

Nah was wanting no drag brake for the little winch... think I gave up, jumped online and ordered some cheap winch controller instead - can't remember if it's key fob remote controlled or RX controlled switch (because in the 4-6wks it takes to arrived I've gotten distracted elsewhere; arrived parcel gets added the interesting gizmos pile that I'll get around to installing one day... if that winch is still operational anyway because some kid has been using it as a battering ram.)

That was way back when "too cheap to be believed" 1060s appeared on fleaBay and we all got conned. ;) remember those? 

• Haha 1

Bit late to the party but why not try Mtroniks marine esc. All fully submergable (i have experience) easy to set up and not too expensive. Because they are marine esc's they go from forwards to reverse imediately as thats how you stop a boat, no brakes!!!

https://www.mtroniks.net/