Tudorp

ESC question.

I just received my Sand Scorcher today, and had a pleasant surprisee. It has an ESC included in the box, even though I did not order it with an ESC (Thanks Amazon). ;)  Anyway, it is a brush-less motor ESC, however the motor that comes with the Sand Scorcher is the old skool type brushed motor. I never ran a brush-less, so not sure about those, but can you run a brushed motor with a brush-less ESC? I know the brush-less has 3 wires, but the brushed has only two. So, how would you connect the 2 motor wires to the 3 ESC wires? Omit one? or can you even do that?

Disregard. Actually reading the instructions to the ESC, it does add in there how to program it to use with a brushed motor.. ;)  Who knew to read the instructions FIRST? 

I always tell the wife when she tells me to use them, that instructions are only to read when things fall apart, so you can look up to see what you did wrong. lol

TBLE instructions are handy to work out if it's in brushed or brushless mode. :P In the wrong mode vs motor connected it's no workee.

If a TBLE-02 is included in a new kit, they are generally speaking set to "brushed".

43 minutes ago, Bromley said:

If a TBLE-02 is included in a new kit, they are generally speaking set to "brushed".

Generally yes :) but I've had at least kit-supplied one that wasn't... dunno if it either got flipped at factory or someone has fiddled with it afterwards before I got it. Possibility is there. Definitely need to reread the destructions for the flipping sequence.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 11:32 AM, WillyChang said:

Generally yes :) but I've had at least kit-supplied one that wasn't... dunno if it either got flipped at factory or someone has fiddled with it afterwards before I got it. Possibility is there. Definitely need to reread the destructions for the flipping sequence.

A friend told me that they changed in the DT03 kits. In the first kits, they all were set to brushless, which made problems to all the newbies out there. So from a certain time on, the kits are now delivered with the TBLE in brushed mode. But I can´t really tell the switching time. And I only can tell about the DT03 kits. For the money, this ESC is really cool, as it can handle some decent brushless motors. I ran my restored Vanquish last year with one and a Speed Passion 13,5t sportsman motor I bought for 19,90€, and it was a very cheap, but fun to drive Setup, just enough power to do some jumps on the track but not being silly fast for such an old plastic tub. The only drawbacks of this ESC are for me the low voltage cutoff, which is designed for the LiFePo batteries used in Japan, and that programming could be easier on this.