BBC news saying that GM are getting rid if the Holden brand. Sad times.

Any chance of a domestic buyout to keep it alive even if at a much smaller scale?

• Sad 1

Sad times, this has been on the cards since the Holden Commodores died. The sales of the rebadged Insignia didn't appeal to the Oz market. Also Holden were heavily subsided by the Government and when that stopped the money and protected market ended.

I'm a big fan of the V8 supercars and this will mean that it may become Ford Vs Chevrolet as they will bring in the Camaro or similar. I noticed that Ryan Walkinshaw HSV business do right hand conversions of the Chevy Camaro. But they need to change the control chassis rules to adapt better to two door cars.

Several years ago I visited some relatives in Oz - my uncle was a toolmaker at the Holden plant near Adelaide and my cousins other half worked on the assembly line building bodyshells.

Uncle was a Ford guy ( Falcon wagon ),  cousins other half was a Holden guy and drove a Kingswood wagon.  

8 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Any chance of a domestic buyout to keep it alive even if at a much smaller scale?

What for? There's just no $$ to be made in tiny RHD market. The big boss said it flat outright himself "it's throwing good money after bad" :( 

Kangaroos (bushfire), meat pies (gone plant-based) and now Holden cars (-$$)... bye bye. 

On 5/3/2020 at 4:57 PM, Toolmaker72 said:

Didn’t Ford pull out of Australia back in 2013?  

Ford stopped manufacturing vehicles in Australia in 2016.

They still sell imported vehicles here.

Holden stopped manufacturing vehicles in 2017.

Oh right, in the U.K. I asked to relocate to Ford Australia and was told no as they were pulling out manufacturing wise but that was 2013.  I ended up in Ford Bridgend engine plant South Wales but now that’s also shutting this September.   I tried to relocate to Ford Ohio in Feb this year then the covid19 pandemic hit 🙄.  I’ve now decided to take redundancy from Ford.  No more toolmaking for me.

It's a shame.

One of the first I've seen, but ,with the roads quiet, and the forecast for good weather, a guy in work took his out of its ,climate controlled cocoon ,to bring in for my appreciation today.

2018, Vauxhall VXR8 GTS-R,.one of only 15 in the UK, 

2020-05-07_10-09-53

(I still prefer his old Manta i400 though....😏)  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

It's a shame.

One of the first I've seen, but ,with the roads quiet, and the forecast for good weather, a guy in work took his out of its ,climate controlled cocoon ,to bring in for my appreciation today.

2018, Vauxhall VXR8 GTS-R,.one of only 15 in the UK, 

2020-05-07_10-09-53

(I still prefer his old Manta i400 though....😏)  

I didn't know they were rebadged as Vauxhalls?

Learn something new every day.

5 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

I didn't know they were rebadged as Vauxhalls?

Learn something new every day.

Yeah, GM are Vauxhalls in the UK ,Opel in Europe, although the Monaro is a Chevrolet Lumnia over there I think?

What's not to love about a 6.2 ,supercharged V8! 🚀🎶🎵

(Apart from the £75k price tag.....😳

Lotus Carlton is the Griffin I would like to own.  I missed the boat on those when prices were reasonable 

Did Australia get a version?