ALEXKYRIAK

1/18 scale shocks

Hi all, I am looking out for shocks that are essentially the same size / type as the Hornet rear shocks, just not as long. I need shocks at about 60-70mm length eye to eye but a smaller outer diameter on the shock itself. Basically I am looking for a ‘small’ short shock to fit on 1/10 scale cars like Hornets, Grasshoppers, etc. 

I read in one or two places on the web that 1/ 18 scale shocks might be a good solution, but I don’t really know what to look for in the world of 1 / 18 scale cars. Can anyone recommend a possible solution or advice on what to go for?

Basically I need a ‘short, Hornet rear shock’ to fit to the front of a Hornet and similar type cars. I want to mod the front of my hornet but don’t want to use a standard CVA shock at 60-65 mm, I want an oil shock, but want it to look similar scale to the Hornet front shock, if that makes sense! :)   

Thanks. 

Look for shocks for the losi mini-t or the RC18t

3 racing make some and they are okay, but best are the Losi shocks. Other thah that the shocks from the carisma gt14b are very good.

• Thanks 1

Grasshopper 2 arms allow for a lower shock mount that may be helpful as well.

I'll be interested to see what you find.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, matisse said:

Look for shocks for the losi mini-t or the RC18t

3 racing make some and they are okay, but best are the Losi shocks. Other thah that the shocks from the carisma gt14b are very good.

Ah awesome mate thanks a lot, much appreciated. Am looking at these Losi 314004. A lot of the shocks mentioned above seem to be out of stock. Do you run 18 scale? Or did you fit something similar to a 10th scale? Thanks again 👍

9 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Ah awesome mate thanks a lot, much appreciated. Am looking at these Losi 314004. A lot of the shocks mentioned above seem to be out of stock. Do you run 18 scale? Or did you fit something similar to a 10th scale? Thanks again 👍

i used to run a lot of 18th scale, so this was my wheel house. Losi have released the Mini-T 2 so shocks will be easy to find. The GTB14 shocks are great it you can find them, but bigger bore, more like M chassis shocks.

So I got hold of some Losi 314005  rear aluminium shocks to use on the front of a Hornet. Main issue I have right now is finding a way to fit the 1mm diameter bottom ball socket of the Losi shock with a standard lower arm 3mm diameter hinge pin hole. 

My current theories are:

a) find  a lower socket eye with a 3mm hole but a 1mm thread to replace the existing one on the shock, or,

b) find some way to thread 1mm bar into a 3mm diameter threaded spacer, to use the current shock eye with the a standard tamiya lower arm (am using Ampro 20mm offset arm)

Losi 413005

This is the Losi shock, note the tiny 1mm diameter ball stud located in the hole in the lower shock eye. I can’t get a 3mm screw or shaft through this, so I need a different shock eye that uses a 1mm thread to accept the 1mm diameter Losi piston rod, or, some way to use a 1mm threaded screw or shaft through the shock eye that will connect into the 3mm holes of the hornet suspension arm.

It’s a tricky one! :) 

(how do I get myself into these situations...?)

From memory it’s 2mm, I think. Can check tonight from home. I had looked (very quickly) around for ball studs at this size but couldn’t find anything as of yet.