The Twingo Lord

Am I the only one who likes long antennas?

Title  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was thinking of sticking one on my Hotshot again to protect the body.

• Like 1

Yes, yes you are. lol.

They add that vintage look which is nice, especially the metal rod type.

I do not miss feeding the wire through the tube.

I do not miss guiding the tube through the body hole.

I do not miss breaking the tube on my lunch box every time it rolls over.

I do not like thinking about all the times my cars took off due to the long antenna receivers that didn't have fail safe technology.

1 hour ago, FoxShot said:

I was thinking of sticking one on my Hotshot again to protect the body.

They certainly protect the Frogs wing

I've got one on my clod. I think it looks better with the long aerial.

It's not even a proper aerial, just a piece of red bell wire poked up the plastic tube. Colour coordinated to the red tamiya sticker on the tail gate.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The Twingo Lord said:

Where to get one of said metal rod type antennas?

They are included with The Frog. Those specific rods mount with a screw from the side, they do not just push in a hole like a typical plastic tube.

They sure look good with a white antenna wire spiraled around.

14 minutes ago, Novamadcars said:

I think it looks cool this is my ta01

I do like the look of spiral wire. Takes me back to the 80's

• Like 1

That's the one thing I really don't miss from the old days, actually... the new antenna-less 2.4 receivers are the best thing to happen to this hobby maybe ever. I always hated dealing with an extra mile of antenna wire, and feeding it through a hole in the chassis, the up a little tube... forget it. I don't miss that at all.

The only ones I ever liked were the rigid fiberglass "rollover antennas" on the old 1/12 scale pan cars. But those were really useful in keeping the car on its wheels.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

That's the one thing I really don't miss from the old days, actually... the new antenna-less 2.4 receivers are the best thing to happen to this hobby maybe ever. I always hated dealing with an extra mile of antenna wire, and feeding it through a hole in the chassis, the up a little tube... forget it. I don't miss that at all.

The only ones I ever liked were the rigid fiberglass "rollover antennas" on the old 1/12 scale pan cars. But those were really useful in keeping the car on its wheels.

I don’t like the reciever antennas either, but I like the look of the antenna tubes

I get where you are going with the purely for looks aspect. On an old school racing buggy I do like the look. On a scale vehicle like an on-road car or especially a crawler it definitely takes away from the appearance.

Another practical purpose is that you can see where your car is when you go over a hill in the distance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Otis311 said:

I get where you are going with the purely for looks aspect. On an old school racing buggy I do like the look. On a scale vehicle like an on-road car or especially a crawler it definitely takes away from the appearance. 

Agreed

4 hours ago, The Twingo Lord said:

Where to get one of said metal rod type antennas?

Another variant is used on the Hot Shot buggies I believe. The bottom of the rod is threaded to accept a machine screw. They were commonly referred to as rollover antennas back in the day IIRC, because they saved the body from damage (though sometimes damaged the chassis at the mount).

Oh, and BTW, of the 75 or so vehicles in my collection, only 3 don't have antennas, so, your not the only one.

Like most people, I don't miss the Ritual of the Threading of the Antenna, a piece of culture that we have gladly said goodbye to as we have stepped away from the religion of FM radios and into the scientific age of the 2.4GHz.

I always hated the look, too.  That colourless plastic tube that over time went yellow with UV damage, waving and flapping around and ultimately cracking off at the base, ever getting shorter and shorter until it was no longer fit for purpose.  I recall having a blue plastic drinking straw selotaped over what was left of my kit-issue straw when it got too short to be any good.

These are one of the first things I throw out every time I open a kit, although disturbingly I keep finding them lurking in dusty corners of my workshop.

In the mid-00s I used to abandon the antenna tube and run the antenna down the inside of the body, between front and rear body posts.  Range was probably compromised but I never really noticed.

OTOH, I do quite like the look of the twin metal antennas on old Hotshots.  In some ways they even look a little bit scale, like the kind of CB antenna people used to use in the 80s for keep in touch with the pit crew during the Baja 1000.  Although probably not that big (scale-wise).

The Globe Liner also has a flexible CB-type antenna mounted right in the middle of its roof.  Fitting it is optional (if you have a 2.4GHz radio, that is) but if you don't fit it you have an ugly hole and boss on the roof which is hard to remove without a lot of grinding and sanding.  I have considered cutting the standard antenna down and fitting it as a scale CB antenna.

However, I don't always like the little stubby antennas on 2.4GHz Rxs.  They aren't long enough to tuck anywhere but they're long enough to get caught up in exposed gears or poke out under the body.  Annoying things they are.  Some Rxs manage not to have them at all, which I find unusual.

I don’t like long ones 

all of mine are cut in half

oDwSjgL.jpg

new vs retro 

all my receivers come with a wire still - am I missing something?

JJ

1 minute ago, Problemchild said:

I don’t like long ones 

all of mine are cut in half

JJ

I just like the look of long antennas on rere cars, I wouldn’t do it on for example, a Traxxas or Arrma or something like that, but I do it with my lunchbox

Just now, The Twingo Lord said:

I just like the look of long antennas on rere cars, I wouldn’t do it on for example, a Traxxas or Arrma or something like that, but I do it with my lunchbox

It seems you are going through my profile

15 hours ago, Problemchild said:

For the most part they all still have antennas. I just stuff them under the body. I have never had any problems with reception doing this. In my crawlers I have started buying receivers that have internal antennas. I wouldn't trust them for long distance but in crawlers that's not a problem. In any case the actual antennas on 2.4Ghz systems are really just a ~1 inch exposed wire at the end of a length of coaxial cable. For best performance you would want it as high as possibly and vertical in orientation. Like I said though I have never had issues having them under the body at and odd angle.

16 hours ago, The Twingo Lord said:

i like long antenna 

49491750023_08e9135841_k.jpg