futureworks

How do I edit my nickname on the main TC site?

When I go into editing my profile page, the nickname (mine being futureworks) is locked, so I can’t change it. It’s only a minor thing, but on the main site my nickname should start with a lower case f, when it’s uppercase at the mo...(no doubt my error to begin with, but t’would be nice to have it corrected, along with my joining date which shows that I joined 2 years before the club started, rather than mid-2006 👍)

I too would like to know if this is possible (assuming it doesn't cause the admin too much trouble). I had wondered if I should just make a new ID and resubscribe under that once the current year is up.

On 2/19/2020 at 8:13 AM, futureworks said:

When I go into editing my profile page, the nickname (mine being futureworks) is locked, so I can’t change it. It’s only a minor thing, but on the main site my nickname should start with a lower case f, when it’s uppercase at the mo...(no doubt my error to begin with, but t’would be nice to have it corrected, along with my joining date which shows that I joined 2 years before the club started, rather than mid-2006 👍)

I just had a look and its locked for me as well. @netsmithUK can you advise?

15 minutes ago, futureworks said:

?

Locked as in, I can't change it as a moderator. @netsmithUK is the only one who can change it.

On 2/19/2020 at 8:13 AM, futureworks said:

@netsmithUK can you offer some help to me and the others who raised the same thing in this thread please..? Thanks.

I took away the ability to edit usernames literally a decade ago. Four main reasons,

1. Editing them to something not suitable. I fully accept thats 'not suitable' to my standards which I make no apologies for. Always tried to keep this a family friendly place and have manually vetted every signup since day one. You really would not believe what some people think is acceptable (and this is no judgement on them, just not what I want on a club I am responsible for) I don't have a mechanism or time for checking them again everytime someone wants to edit theirs.

2 People were using them to be 'funny' and changing them to effectively get little messages to appear on various parts of the site they were not supposed to, eg changing their name to something that should really be something for the forum. I don't really have the time to monitior and react to that sort of thing.

3. Old code, some of the older parts of the system used username to link various bits of data (I know a terrible idea but it was a long time ago) so changing names can make bad things happen to the system. I'm gradually removing these bits of code, but its a slow, low priority job I'm afraid.

4. Main site and forum are effectively two separate systems so the usernames are set in both at sign up, but as with passwords, not linked after that and I don't want them getting out of sync.

Sorry no easy answer on this one.

Chris

@netsmithUK thanks Chris.

This started with me realising that I’d signed up on the main site as Futureworks rather than what it should be, i.e.  futureworks with a lower case f as I have here on the forum.  Are you saying you can’t change an upper case F to a lower case one for me?

And as mentioned before, can you revise my joining date on my TC member page as it shows 1st Jan 2000, 2 years before the club started. Should be June 2006.

And finally,  I hope you got my PM with my avatar pic for the forum for uploading..?

Many thanks and nice touch offering the 10 free subs BTW 👍

yes - that means I won't be able to change the F to a f unfortunately. I know that looks simple but its just a lot more complicated that a simple change behind the scenes. At some point in the future it might be an option buts its quite a way down the priority list at the moment. Above it is how you managed to change it in the forum to something different in the first place as that shouldn't be possible and could explain some issues I've had with the site.

Join date fix is on the list as is the avatar.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 2:59 PM, netsmithUK said:

Join date fix is on the list as is the avatar.

Any closer to being done? Must be a very long list!