Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

can someone explain the Yokomo 834b to me?

Can someone explain how the Yokomo 834b rose to prominence in off road racing? I'll be honest, I know zip about Yokomos in general. From looking at pictures, it looks incredibly crude (granted its somewhere around '83 when this thing hit). It was also very expensive to get into racing form from what little I've read. I'm surprised modified Hotshots didn't blow this thing out of the water when they arrived years later. I understand any excitement for the Hotshot would likely be short lived when the Optima hit though.

5 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Can someone explain how the Yokomo 834b rose to prominence in off road racing? I'll be honest, I know zip about Yokomos in general. From looking at pictures, it looks incredibly crude (granted its somewhere around '83 when this thing hit). It was also very expensive to get into racing form from what little I've read. I'm surprised modified Hotshots didn't blow this thing out of the water when they arrived years later. I understand any excitement for the Hotshot would likely be short lived when the Optima hit though.

https://www.rccaraction.com/the-25-most-important-rc-cars-of-all-time-x/

• Like 1

I don’t know about the Dogfighter’s early career in the Japanese racing scene, but in the rest of the world, it didn’t win anything major until Ranch Pit Shop made their modified version.

As you probably know, Ranch Pit Shop was the Losi-family’s RC-business before starting the company Team Losi, so the RPS Yokomo is kind of Losi’s first buggy. RPS heavily modified the Scorpion before that, but as far as I know, it wasn’t offered as a kit.

I don’t remember all the changes RPS did to the Yokomo, but among the most significant ones were the GRP-chassis plate as replacement for the soft (Kydex, I believe) chassis plate, replacement of the rear monoshock with one damper on each side, better tires, new rollbar to accommodate the two dampers and a new body. I believe it got a stronger chain too. I have a vague memory that the front oneway was replaced with a diff or got a diff in addition, but we are talking about something that happened almost 40 years ago, so I may recall incorrectly.

• Like 1