Raman36

Subaru Brat 4X4 / Crawler Project

I’m doing a build of CC01 with Subaru Brat body.. figured I’d make it a proper 4WD.  For nostalgic reasons I want to use the Sand Blaster 915 tyres. I ran into a snag with the kit Brat rims.  CC01 axles are too short.  

So I was searching and found these frm

I’m doing a build of CC01 with Subaru Brat body.. figured I’d make it a proper 4WD.  For nostalgic reasons I want to use the Sand Blaster 915 tyres. I ran into a snag with the kit Brat rims.  CC01 axles are too short.  

So I was searching and found these from RC4WD.. 

https://store.rc4wd.com/OEM-6-Lug-Stamped-Steel-155-Beadlock-Wheels-White_p_7608.html

So my question is, are the Sand Blaster 915 true 1.55s? Will I have any issue mounting them? 

• Like 1

They fit but you need to trim the center ring of the wheels. I mounted my 915's on aluminum wheels and they are a bit wider than the wheels. I will take photos in the morning.

I have older version of rc4wd 1.55 steel wheels , I can fit a 915 on it to test if you want.

Another thing you can do is use a set of Tamiya Brat rear wheels and trim the back to accept pins. I did that and they fit any axle perfectly and have narrower track width. I will take photos of them too in the morning.

Here's a photo of 915's on the earliest version of rc4wd 1.55 steel wheels;

If the centre ring needs trimming won’t be an issue. Just wanted to make sure they are true 1.55.

The Brat rooms would be ideal.. they look like they need quite a bit of modding in a lathe.... I’d appreciate to see what you did 

On 2/20/2020 at 1:28 AM, Raman36 said:

If the centre ring needs trimming won’t be an issue. Just wanted to make sure they are true 1.55.

The Brat rooms would be ideal.. they look like they need quite a bit of modding in a lathe.... I’d appreciate to see what you did 

I found out that center ring doesn't need trimming because it's already too short to fit the tire. Maybe original Brat ring can be used to prevent tire from slipping.

I modified the back of brat rear wheels by just using dremel and a drill bit. I've done it around 10 years ago so not the cleanest work. If you're going to do this make sure that CC axle shafts are long enough to mount them on because brat wheel centers are thicker than rc4wd wheels. Or you can trim that chamfered middle part in the font too. Another option is to make your own hexes that fit directly to the wheel screws but it would add to track width.

915's are true 1.55 but the rubber is thick. Take a look at the photos that show the space on the tire lip. 

The sidewall sticks out by 1.5mm on both sides because the wheel is too thin.

I see, so the tyre will cover the lip of the rim... not necessarily a bad thing.. will help protect the rim.

On the Brat rims.. do you only trimmed the back star flat and carved the slot for the pin?   You didn’t remove anything from the front side.. eg the “cone” to make room for axle?

23 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

I see, so the tyre will cover the lip of the rim... not necessarily a bad thing.. will help protect the rim.

On the Brat rims.. do you only trimmed the back star flat and carved the slot for the pin?   You didn’t remove anything from the front side.. eg the “cone” to make room for axle?

Yes, trimmed the star and carved for pin. I didn't need to trim the cone because they fit RC4WD k44 axles fine. I think Tamiya axles are shorter.

Found a photo of modified Brat wheels with trimmed front cone mounted on Losi MRC axles running reduced Tomahawk tires. Not mine.

16e8e8f3.jpg

Well issue number 2 has come up.. While the Brat Body does fit the CC01 chassis.. the front tub / wall of the CC01 chassis is not covered by the Brat body.  Make is look really odd.  So I think I need to consider another chassis.  I don't want anything expensive, so perhaps CC02?  I am open to non Tamiya as well.  

Wheel / Tyre in picture as temporary place holders while I sort my Sand Blaster 915s.

IMG_6823.jpg

IMG_6824.jpg

3 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Well issue number 2 has come up.. While the Brat Body does fit the CC01 chassis.. the front tub / wall of the CC01 chassis is not covered by the Brat body.  Make is look really odd.  So I think I need to consider another chassis.  I don't want anything expensive, so perhaps CC02?  I am open to non Tamiya as well.  

Wheel / Tyre in picture as temporary place holders while I sort my Sand Blaster 915s.

IMG_6823.jpg

IMG_6824.jpg

Looking at the picture, you can customize a mount that will hold the body. A carbon fiber board perhaps or 3D print something.

I’m not worried about the body mounts.. it’s that hunk of plastic that’s part of the tub lol.. 

Great project! I want to do a similar build with that Brat body. I'll be watching with interest! 

With regards to the CC01 chassis and the front section - would you consider trimming off the 'brick'? 

• Like 1

@rc_ox has the right idea - do a search for "CC01 cut brick" - there are loads of articles covering how to do this.  You will have to make a sump guard from something like sheet aluminium and possibly some brackets from delrin or nylon (at least that's how I did mine, you might be able to screw into the plastic tub).  Not only will it look better, it will also perform better on the trails because it doesn't have that brick to get hung up on.

I was working on a complete 3D printed front-end to replace the brick area of the chassis but I put it on hold due to other stuff.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Raman36 said:

So I think I need to consider another chassis.  I don't want anything expensive, so perhaps CC02?  I am open to non Tamiya as well.  

I used MST CMX and MST CFX chassis for my Subaru Brat 4WD crawler projects. Imo the shortest wheelbase 242mm fits the Subaru shell perfectly.

RIMG3564.JPG.ae572ee50b576193c6d20cf03c68fb85.JPG

RIMG4028.JPG.1e17389f14ec244f19fb66a685eeac39.JPG

• Like 9

@a.w.k. very nice I needed.  Both looK great. I think I’m leaning towards using a different chassis. The MST CMX seems reasonably priced.  Are parts easy to come by? 

14 hours ago, Raman36 said:

@a.w.k. very nice I needed.  Both looK great. I think I’m leaning towards using a different chassis. The MST CMX seems reasonably priced.  Are parts easy to come by? 

i am located on europe, MST parts availability is plenty here, i don't know about the US. But i own 3 CMX and one CFX and have to break my first part until now....since two years of competition use 

I put my CC01 on eBay and already recouped what I paid for it with 4 days left. Crazy!  

I found a place that is selling the MST CMX for $189.. not bad!  I would need to pick up a motor / esc.   The CC02 from Tower would cost me $225 and I would need bearings, which would be another $20.. but then I could sell the body and tyres for maybe $40.  So almost the same.  Difference being Tamiya familiarity versus a much better build rig 

59 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

I found a place that is selling the MST CMX for $189.. not bad!  I would need to pick up a motor / esc.

CMX needs ball bearings too, it only has metal bushings out of the box

Thank you for that ... decisions decisions 

I have both in the cart .. can’t make up my mind lol

So I opted for the MST CMX.. for once I figured I wouldn’t be a Tamiya fan boy ;)..

My CC01 auction continues to get bids.. I’m a bit surprised.. but hey I’ll take it.. more play $

• Like 2

Looks like I'm a bit late to the party, but I modified my CC01 wheelbase and slapped the Lexan version on it no problem. Just shortened the upper and lower links. At one point I was considering doing an ABS body because even with the lower bed height it fit really well. Unfortunately TMPS* took hold and I decided the Lexan was good enough lol.

* Too Many Projects Syndrome

BTW, those CMX Brats look fantastic. Great home for one of Tamiya's masterpieces 👍

spacer.png

• Like 2

i like your lowered windows!  Brilliant 

I noticed the decals are hard to come by presently. guess will have order from MCI

@a.w.k. how did you mount the ABS body? Magnetic mounts? 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

I noticed the decals are hard to come by presently. guess will have order from MCI

Dang, that's a shame. Less than a week ago I saw complete Lexan body sets going for $35 shipped 😕

17 hours ago, Raman36 said:

@a.w.k. how did you mount the ABS body? Magnetic mounts? 

First i had the body mounted with 4 magnets only, but during a competition the body separated from the chassis because of heavy bumps on the track.

RIMG3573.JPG.1671d2aed245d688a3ff04b0ea1a34b9.JPG

RIMG3578.JPG.a04f27dc6c268de272479ce7367a44e1.JPG

I then glued a square pieces of styrene into the body on both sides that hook under the backrest of the Hilux interior, securing the body solid to the chassis. The Hilux interior is screwed to the battery tray.

bump2.thumb.jpg.93a5e3fa6456fd97b3df8e3e2bc34610.jpg

bump1.thumb.jpg.b5491964fa9b534d633123871678ac78.jpg

I hope one can see it on the pictures.......

At the moment the cars look like this: roll bar removed for better center of gravity, TFL twin motor winch, trailer hitch and a lot of scratches..........

WT191226001.thumb.jpg.bf57f74a9533cbe859d85f2e83fa9b74.jpg

cm191228001.thumb.jpg.6225552d56669b68bbde40bbd92b4055.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2