c64orinoco

Vintage tires and rims mix'n'match for Sand Rover

Sand Rover question again; I need new rear tires. The 80's originals I have are bald and hard, the car is pretty much uncontrollable as a result.

I can identify new (re-release new) wheels - any of the Tamiya 5-spoke rear wheels, eg Frog, Brat, Buggy Champ, etc. will work; but what tires?

Back inthe 80's I had a set of Rough Rider (Buggy Champ) rear wheels, and I can still get Buggy Champ rear tires, but will the Buggy Champ rears fit on, say, Grasshopper / Hornet rear rims?

I'm trying to save a little bit of money by just buying rear rims; I don't want to buy the complete set of Buggy Champ rims when I only need the rears.

Although if anyone has a set of original Sand Rover rears I'd be interested!

You can fit the following wheel/tire combinations on your Sand Rover:

- Sand Scorcher/Grasshopper

- Rough Rider/Subaru Brat

- Super Champ/Frog/Hornet

Back in the early 80s you could get optional rear tires for the original Tamiya rims from MRP, they're too expensive nowadays. Also, I do remember racers using the RC10 buggies used to fit Sand Rover rears on those, so perhaps you can find RC10 buggy tires for your rear Sand Rover wheels. I hope someone will be able to confirm this.

Have a good one! :)

10 minutes ago, mongoose1983 said:

Also, I do remember racers using the RC10 buggies used to fit Sand Rover rears on those, so perhaps you can find RC10 buggy tires for your rear Sand Rover wheels. I hope someone will be able to confirm this.

Correct. The Tamiya Holiday Buggy rear tire (also Sand Rover) was a popular tire for the RC10. I believe they fit on the RC10 rims with possibly some minor bead trimming IIRC. I don't know if they are still around, but Proline did the tires for the RC10 Classic awhile back. 

Buggy Champ tires won't fit Grasshopper wheels. You can use FAV wheels for a similar look.