AQUABATH

What do I buy ?

Okay. New boy on the street. I’ve just ordered a Lancia Delta Intergrale TT-02. Having read various threads and blogs it seems the XV-01 chassis is better, so I intend to order that too, as I going to have one for show and one for go. I used to race these little beast back in the 80’s when I was a lad, and decided to start again, although more for the building than racing.

My question is, as far as the car brand it was only ever going to be Tamiya, but what radio gear / servos / chargers do I go for? Or are the all pretty similar at a similar price. When I was a kid we had a choice of three!

Thank you.

• Like 2

the purists here will say brushed, i just received the XV-01 and no holds barred for me, i'm a HobbyWing nut for their esc's i have about 60 and 0 has ever given me a problem boats included motors are fargin endless, for Rally between 17turns and 27T you could go lower but why?.

radio gear is subjective there's a lot of no name brands that work quite well and RX's are inexpensive. just remember watch your gearing, heat is the killer, and it come s as Puff the Magic Dragon:lol:

any ol' how welcome to the funnest place on earth next chocolate chip cookies.

• Like 1

Radio gear? It's hard to go wrong with Flysky. I have an FS i6 stick radio converted to car use (it's a plane radio so it needs some fiddling with to make it work with cars) and i have just got a GT5 wheel radio. Both are great value, tonnes of features and multiple model memories. Receivers are a few quid so it's cheap when you buy new cars. 

Charger? Buy a smart charger that is lipo capable. It will save in the long run. I have an Overlander VSR Mini which is great. 

If you got a Tamiya TBLE02S ESC with your kits, it will run brushless down to 13.5 turn comfortably, which is plenty fast! If you search on ebay for "high efficiency brushless" you will find lots of blue motors of various turns for about 20 quid. They are great. For a bit more you will find Surpass Rocket V3. These are one generation behind race motors, but they are still seriously fast. I use the 17.5 versions in my racecars and i don't want them any faster now they are geared correctly! 

If you are running your xv01 brushless you will need to look at gearing as the stock setup won't be geared high enough and kit pinion gears are notoriously soft. Look in the back of your manual, but i have a road/rally car on 13.5 and it is plenty fast enough on 5.5 final drive ratio (FDR). Ask more questions about that nearer the time. 

• Like 1

The first question is what is your budget?

Chargers, I like the SkyRC range. If I was starting again I would buy thr Q200 quad charger but thats because my son and I race and I get by with 2 chargers but 4 would be better. Look at the S60, D100 and Q200. All are AC and easy to use and do everything.

Servos. Savox are my goto for race cars, specifically the 1258TG. Mid range the Trackstar TS D99X is good value for money. Cheap and cheerful is the JX PDI 4409, it works well but don't believe the specs. Luckily the specs are far more thsn you need so its fine.

Radio gear. You really get what you pay for. I have flysky, futaba and sanwa. My favourite is my sanwa but its also one of their better models. My futaba sets are the lower end (3PV and 3PKRA and 2HR) but the quality is excellent. The flysky is cheap, works well, just doesn't feel as nice in the hand. I would get one with multiple model memories and EPA adjustment. If budget allows look at the Futaba 4PV or 4PM. Its their mid-high range,  will do everything you'll ever need and Futaba receivers are cheaper than sanwa. They cost an arm rather than an arm and a leg.

Another vote for Savox servos. I use the low profile 1251 across all my cars and its brilliant, but I just upgraded my race buggy to a 1258 and its even better! A decent steering servo will benefit any car.

You can get flysky Rx (or ones that look exactly the same) for under £10 on eBay.

Tx go with what you like. Start with a £25 set and move up as you get more into it again.

i use GoolRC ESC and brushless combos because they are mega cheap and thus disposable (not that I’ve had any go wrong yet)

I do have the likes of hobbywing and speed passion but can normally get 4 or 5 Gool combos for the price of 1 hobbywing combo.

JJ

can yo still get the Orange RX's they're always out of stock at hobby king?

i just purchased two AGF servos  not overly priced, servos are like brussel sprouts won't know until you try them.

every time i see a servo of a brand i do not recognize i buy it, some are sleepers with out the high price tag like Solar or JX.

Thank you for the mind blowing amount of info, greatly appreciated. My parcel has arrived and the box is a lot smaller than the 80’s ! and the instructions are mind bending. Going to go with Futaba 3pv and Savox servos, and a Sky RC charger. ALL THE GEAR NO IDEA ! I’m a plumber!

Is the speed controller that comes with the car okay as I think I might buy a whizzy motor to go into it ? Also after looking at the mind bending instructions I can see that I am only going to build this once, so was thinking of lots of shiny aluminium in suspension arm and so on, Fastrax seem to get a bit of a negative, who else does the same thing but better.

Many thanks

• Like 1

The TBLE-02S is a versatile ESC as it runs either brushed or brushless motors. It can run 2S lipo too but doesn't have a low voltage cutoff for lipo, so check the voltage as you to get an idea of how long you can run it, or buy a cheap lipo alarm off ebay.

You can run pretty slow brushed motors, a Sport Tuned is safe. My friend runs the Super Stock 23T motors which are out of spec but he has no issues. I have had one shutdown running a Super Stock motor. The ESC was fine, I just had to swap it out for another that could handle the motor.

It will run brushless down to 10.5T but can overheat without a fan. Its a general consensus on here that 13.5T brushless motors are the sweet spot for most Tamiya's and the TBLE-02S will run those fine. Make sure the motor you buy is sensored and that you get a sensor cable.

No idea about aluminium bits sorry

Aw yes the aluminum bling bling, some good some bad some happy some sad, well it's Asiatees with GPM or direct,  RCMart for Yeah racing and STRC is almost every where, once in awhile Exotek,  Integy is alright, their items some are off the shelf some i just toss, remember it seems each company only makes certain parts for each and every car so you'll be mixing it up at times, it's really weird. watch out also and it's hit or miss but some parts are compatible with other models, now that's where the shopping fun begins.

i try to purchase Tamiya's when they can be had, Ebay's a great place just keep in mind where it's coming from and just how long it will take.some aluminum parts are some times not as great as they appear.

and do not forget better bearings, i still do not know why Tamiya doesn't put good bearings in their kits, they work and personally i just have so many bearings all over because i have fun purchasing expensive balls, i Love Fast Eddy's because he's not far away and he provides many bearings in different car kits that we purchase that we'll never know about, and ACER is down right crazy but i crave their ceramics, AVID because they have great stickers with theirs, purchased some blue rubber sealed ABEC5's on ebay for a song they were so nice i had to purchase another set.

so on that note plastics are fine when they break you'll know it, Aluminum can bend and you'll be scratching your head for awhile, what happened?

CF where and when possible.

all parts have their place, what material they're made of is truly in the eye of the beholder. 

Okay a little more help may be required. Ive built the car and painted and stickered to go with my business, see attached. I finally bought a Sky Rc charger which is so confusing it’s unimaginable but I did get to to charge my batteries. I Also bought a Sanwa MT-S controller which appears to be fine, but I now have some school boy questions to ask! I am using the standard Tamiya ESC that came with my TT-02 kit. I have managed to connect all the radio gear up and the steering servo is fine, but the acceleration is full on unless I trim it back to 100% is this right? Also in the good old days I used a stick shift controller so I was surprised with the trigger wheel that you push the trigger forward to go, and back to brake, as I write it, it makes sense, but is that correct or not.

Sorry to pester, went down to my local circuit but nobody was around.

069D86B4-0FB4-4350-B025-8462DE290357.jpeg

764C2323-0D36-4F0B-8C0D-7A66CB1F81B7.jpeg

F28DA290-EC14-4254-A69C-5B5489CE4A4D.jpeg

55BD31C3-E937-4DE9-8855-4C4B5D167A15.jpeg

6A9448C5-8F34-4A69-B3D6-287420014770.jpeg

• Like 4

Okay a little more help may be required. Ive built the car and painted and stickered to go with my business, see attached. I finally bought a Sky Rc charger which is so confusing it’s unimaginable but I did get to to charge my batteries. I Also bought a Sanwa MT-S controller which appears to be fine, but I now have some school boy questions to ask! I am using the standard Tamiya ESC that came with my TT-02 kit. I have managed to connect all the radio gear up and the steering servo is fine, but the acceleration is full on unless I trim it back to 100% is this right? Also in the good old days I used a stick shift controller so I was surprised with the trigger wheel that you push the trigger forward to go, and back to brake, as I write it, it makes sense, but is that correct or not.

Sorry to pester, went down to my local circuit but nobody was around.

I think you may need to reverse the throttle channel on your transmitter. Thr car should go forward when you squeeze the trigger back towards you, like firing a gun, and when you push it forward that should be brake.

I don't understand the thing about trimming it back to 100%. EPA should be set to 100% all when you calibrate as thats normal operation. If the throttle channel is reveresed then theres a good chance your reverse will be faster than forward as reverse is usually 50% of forward speed, if that makes sense 

The MTS is a great transmitter, its the go to for a lot of people i know who use it to race. Which SkyRC charger did you buy?

Throttle should be controllable like a car throttle - infinite positions instead of the 3 forward and 3 reverse like mechanical controllers 

pull trigger to go

push other way to brake 

once stopped you press it again to get reverse (this took me ages to get the hang of)

car might be faster in reverse - so may need to swap motor wires?

the ESC has a number of settings though so read the instructions 

brushed motor / brushless

no reverse / no braking (cant remember - there are 3 I think)

20 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I think you may need to reverse the throttle channel on your transmitter. Thr car should go forward when you squeeze the trigger back towards you, like firing a gun, and when you push it forward that should be brake.

I don't understand the thing about trimming it back to 100%. EPA should be set to 100% all when you calibrate as thats normal operation. If the throttle channel is reveresed then theres a good chance your reverse will be faster than forward as reverse is usually 50% of forward speed, if that makes sense 

The MTS is a great transmitter, its the go to for a lot of people i know who use it to race. Which SkyRC charger did you buy?

Hi Jonathon, I bought a SkyRC t200 Duo, I think I’ve got the hang of it now. I’ve just set the charge current to 4.5Amp for 5000 Mah NiMh batteries, and all seems fine they charge and don’t get hot during the process, not sure how long a full charge should take, but will go with the flow for now. Do you know what the difference between charge and auto charge are?

The radio gear is a bit of a mine field, I’ve managed to reverse the servo for the ESC in the settings so trigger now works in the right orientation, but there are so many variables, I’m working on the principle that it goes forwards and backwards, left and right, when I ask it too, and for now that will do I’ll look at all the other stuff later.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Problemchild said:

once stopped you press it again to get reverse (this took me ages to get the hang of)

Me too!!!

So this evening I’ve had my first run....... Instantly felt like I was a teenager again, and instantly felt great. Hideous noise and intermittent drive to start with, but found out I had the motor mount in the wrong way round, fixed it and happy days. No reverse for some reason but ill get into that later, still getting my head around the Sanwa mine field. I think I need to go to my local club and have a chat with the club “Yoda” every club has one!!

• Like 1