CoolHands

Has anyone ever tried to get tyres made?

For vintage models with no tyre availability (I’m thinking mostly Marui here, but also some tamiya) how comes no one has ever (that I have read) got new tyres made themselves? Eg from a mold of new old stock. There are thousands of cheap crappy toys out there with unique tyres made for them, so surely it must be possible?

It is certainly possible, but at present the most accessible means to the hobbyist (particularly on TamiyaClub) is 3D-printing. While more of us have compatible printers or printing services than even just a few years ago, the ideal filaments/materials get expensive, and the printing itself gets laborious. I seem to remember a TC member 3D-printing tires for a Volkswagen Beetle Rally build, which looked great but were stiff compared to the typical rubber compound used for RC car tires.

The moulding route could produce a better tire, or at least a cheaper one, but the prospect of moulding rubber anywhere outside a professional shop must be a bit daunting. It could be done at a home shop; however, the odours would be prohibitive...

I think reproduction tires, while in demand, would be too costly for a cottage industry to take up. That could change if/when 3D-printing advances even further; moulding has less technological potential in the context of increased accessibility. I mean, reproduction wheels were unthinkable a few years ago, but here we are!

In the meantime, expense must be a factor - it certainly was for me when I asked the same question. Despite everything I wrote, demand might be one, too, for a run of reproduction tires would be just that, while continuous production is likely required to justify the time and capital invested. As much as I would like to believe hundreds of us would like reproduction Michelin TRXs for our Lancia Rallys, Opel Asconas, and Audi Quattros, the reality is probably only a dozen or so - and that is before we even figure out the price...

To my understanding, this is why not a lot of individuals have had reproduction tires made for their old models. That being said, it should not make doing so impossible ;)

• Like 2

Tens of thousands at least in setup costs. Plus material, plus manufacturing cost, freight, import fees, storage and then retail and shipping to the customer. And that's being fairly generous. 

If you're going to be shifting many many thousands of repro tires then its a possibility but the market simply is not there in my opinion. However for the volume that the demand is there for, 3d printing is the way to go, the technology is 90% there it just comes with a cost. That is "industrial" printed rubber, less so the hobby grade stuff. 

It might be better to look at producing flexible printed moulds for polyurethane casting tires. It will be an uphill struggle and come with a lot of inherent stickiness and cleanup but that's the way I'd do it if i was dead set on reproduction over replacement. 

You could try sending Marwan a request from his website/store as he makes a bunch of excellent quality repro tires:  https://marwanrc.com/

Marwan is a member here but I don't think he frequents this site much and probably wouldn't see this thread.

And who knows, he may not want to discuss the tire making process at all or get into costs.  Dunno.

• Like 1

a friend of mine and I looked at making Marui Big Bear tires. We would have roto-moulded them. In this method you only mould the outside, pour your rubber into the mould and rotate it so that the rubber is forced to around inside, forming the tire. It makes the moulding process a lot cheaper. Still we were looking at costs of about $150 AUD per set to do on a short run. If I ever get around to it, I'll resin form some RC car bodies the same way.

I was going to say, some one tried this recently, but it was almost 8yrs ago!?!?! 😳

Not sure how they got on.

8 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I was going to say, some one tried this recently, but it was almost 8yrs ago!?!?! 😳

Not sure how they got on.

We’ll soon be dead! Lol

• Haha 1

On 2/20/2020 at 3:32 PM, CoolHands said:

..how comes no one has ever (that I have read) got new tyres made themselves?

Someone has...
TC member RA1028 has made some repro Wild Willy / Blazing Blazer tires  (I believe he had some Rough Rider front tires and Hilux 4x4 tires made also (?). I have several sets of his WW tires - which are better than the originals.
There are several threads on this in these forums, like this one: