Sign in to follow this  
GTodd

Black Special Clod or TXT2?

I NEED a monster truck. I've wanted one since I saw the Clod in the 80s Tamiya Catalog.  The new Black Special Clod has caught my eye with it's OG red highlights, but I hear the TXT2 is a world's better runner. So if you can only have one and it's for only back yard duty, AND tough enough for handle whatever my son can dish out what would you recommend?

Consider what's important to you. Do you want something to perform "well" out of the box or do you enjoy modifying? How do you feel about parts support, both OEM and aftermarket?

The Clod Buster will be big bouncy fun out of the box. It will run just like you see it on the old promo videos. The kit is very much plastic but uses surprisingly little self tapping screws. Suspension travel is limited. It will steer reasonably tight for its size but the steering is imprecise stock. The body is nicely detailed. Despite its MOA drivetrain, it mimics a classic mid 80's monster truck quite well. The Clod is durable. Aside from small things like the tiny anti rotation brackets, not much breaks on a stock one. Parts are everywhere. The aftermarket is pretty big. Clods can be modified to perform amazingly depending on how deep your wallet is. Remember, you'll need twin brushless motors if you go that route. Most Triggerking pro-mod trucks are still based on the Clod.

The TXT2 is an impressive kit out of the box. Much more metal and reinforced plastics in the kit. It looks and performs more like a modern monster out of the box. It handles far better than the Clod in stock form. Parts, both OEM and aftermarket are not as plentiful. I personally have experienced wear in the diecast axle gears and others have reportedly broken the diff star shaft from time to time. Granted, this is with more power running through them. The truck is fairly slow in stock form, but will run off only one motor if you decide to go brushless. Honestly, you could just add more power to the stock truck and that would be enough to make it entertaining. The TXT2 is heavy. I find weight to be harder on parts. Most people want to shell out for Clod tires on the TXT, so that's an added expense. The steering is more precise with the axle mounted servo, but wider in my estimation. 

It seems like the heyday of the TXT truck in general has passed. They never overtook the Clod in popularity. The TXT will probably be a more entertaining build but the Clod will have the capability to go farther if you wish to upgrade down the line. With stock power, both trucks are suitable durable in stock form. Personally, if I knew what I know now and HAD to choose, I'd probably go Clod in the end, but that's just my opinion. Neither truck is "bad". 

• Like 1

I know what you feel, I'm going down the same road and have'nt decided yet eighter. I have the chance to by back my old Juggernaut 2 but I'm also thinking between the Clod and TXT2... 

I think that the Clod Buster is the best design of all trucks because of the MOA gearbox. There really are no weak points on these type of gearboxes... They are strong and keep the weight closer to the ground which is a big plus. The chassis is only for keeping the gearboxes together and carrying the electronics and body. 

In the TXT (Juggy) the power has to go a long way down from the gearbox through the propeller shafts and axles to reach the wheels. Thats a whole lot of week points. Tamiya prop shafts are prone to wear.

In the end the TXT is far more realistic but the Clod is far more forgiving and won't self destruct so easy. 

I think I'll go for the Clod Black edition. 

Have a good time deciding ;)

3 hours ago, TDanny said:

think I'll go for the Clod Black edition

I see how you talked yourself into that. Been there😁

10 hours ago, GTodd said:

I NEED a monster truck. I've wanted one since I

Been there, I bought a new Super kit a few years ago for the same reason, and now have both in a few levels of upgrade. The Clod in stock form is great fun and plenty entertaining the way it bounces around. Quick enough too with relatively light weight with silver cans and even a 5000 nimh for motivation. Superb all weather machine as well since it is still cold in most places.

Re: The TXT family, it does get more expensive after wheels and tires, I haven't rebodies mine yet, but do intend on the Bigfoot 18 theme.  One of the companies made a licensed sticker pack. The story is that the Agrios is that truck and licensing or ... fell through. 3s and silver cans is plenty quick and very scale. For a young driver it may mean some hurt ankles with an 11 pound land projectile speeding around the yard. Parts are out there for repairs, trucks are available new still

Presently I am in a bit of a monster truck  phase, you may have seen my pink n purple polka dot, also doing a custom chassis clod and a 4 link version as parts come in. Point is, you can go in nearly any direction and wind up with a good fun rig, really can't go wrong with either, though the clod wins at the current price point. Both require you to buy a bearing kit. Sealed for the knuckles and outer axle tube recommend. 

I think I'm leaning strongly toward the Clod. What I really want is a Jug, it's like the perfect combination of both, but I won't pay what people are asking these days. 

I’ve come to understand that on here & in these situations it’s alway both.

• Like 1

I love the looks of the Jugg, but if I look at it from durabilitys perspective I have to face it that the Juggernaut is a 20 years old truck and time is not forgiving on plastics. It is always better to buy a freshly manufactured RC car than an old one. For shelf queens they are ok but for bashing they are risky. 

J@mes: it would be nice to own both but I don't believe in shelf queens so I only buy trucks which I run. 

On 2/21/2020 at 3:38 PM, GTodd said:

I think I'm leaning strongly toward the Clod. What I really want is a Jug, it's like the perfect combination of both, but I won't pay what people are asking these days. 

I have a used 80s clod going spare - needs the shell doing but you could fit a jug shell

but then it would be a shame to lose the Chevy design aspects 

(goes off to look at TXTs)

JJ

Just ordered a super close buster from Tower. The Black was sold out so I ordered Red F parts as well.  I also ordered OG MCI decals as this will be a retro build. Im also going to order AMPRO GMC grill and badges .

• Like 1

Did the Black Edition ever actually come in stock at US retailers?  If so it went super quick!  I put in a backorder in today,  not sure why as I have an unbuilt Super Clod.  I guess a good reason to buy a race chassis!

On 2/23/2020 at 3:06 PM, Problemchild said:

How much did that come to?

JJ

The Super Clod was 288 , used their $40 off coupon. The Red parts were $16 from Crawford. I'm blanking out on the MCI decals and Grill. 

I will add Crawford's four link kit as well as (8) Top Force Hicaps that I currently have waiting in the wings. I first want to experience what a stock Clod is like. It'll be here Friday! Stoked!

• Like 1

Oh man, it has arrived! WOW the box is HUGE!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GTodd said:

Oh man, it has arrived! WOW the box is HUGE!!!!

Open the box and pull out the tires!  Even though the box is huge, I'm still always impressed when seeing a Clod tire for the first time in a while.

1 hour ago, tamiya3speed said:

Open the box and pull out the tires!  Even though the box is huge, I'm still always impressed when seeing a Clod tire for the first time in a while.

Hahaha, seriously the first thing I did. I then promptly compared it to my seven year olds head. Man those tired are massive!

• Like 1

Ordered mine today... can't wait to hold that giant box in my hands :D :D :D