ACCEL

A Will & Testament

so i got to thinkn' (it happens:blink:) so like when i'm going down for the big sleep, who in God's name is getting all my RC vehicles? well, yes, sure my three grandsons could have a few but i do not want them going to the dumps. when i was about 10 i went with my grandpa to the dumps, so as usual i always was looking for adventure and stuff, low and behold in the original box mind you, looked new to me, cox engine was oily but the P40 was intact a really neat line controlled air plane, had it for years never fired it up, later my mom gave it away. well i do not want that to happen to my RC's (not to just anybody)so i'm going down to my lawyers office at the end of this month and see what legal and fit way of dispersing such hobbies about for Tamiyan Citizens around the world when my LIPO runs out. certain factors have to be curtailed and certain practices of legality to be sorted (i'm complicated) he's not going to be happy doing this (remember Brewsters Millions with Richard Pryor?) well that's me no not Brewster, the old man "Nobody was in that closet helping me smoke those cigars" :lol: so in turn i just figured i'm going to have fun before i go, oh you'll never know who, you'll never when,

but i know this will be fun.

i'll name three people to be my executor of course i have to have their permission so as to get addresses to send these dang things, don't worry, it wouldn't be fun if shipping was't included.

never did understand that Win a prize and pay fargin taxes on it. geez i feel like  i did not win a darn thing😵

this isn't happening over night, i just want some one that knows how to work on them to enjoy them, that's what i thought when i gave my Frog to my nephew and does not have it any more, just received one the other day after all these years. what better place in RCdom than here? exactly...........................................................................

so on that note grab life by the horns.

• Like 1

I always thought if I died young (and for a while there, it looked like more of a sure thing), I would encourage my family members to sell my RC gear on this forum. I am unaffiliated with any other RC club, and outside of an occasional drone pilot might be the only RC enthusiast within a several-kilometre radius!

So long as they remembered to specify PayPal Gift or else cover fees, everything would be fine :P But now that things are looking better, I hope this would not be a thing until MUCH later.

• Like 3

Near death when you watch the ceiling of a hospital room you won't care abut the things that you collected... you will care about the time that you spent with your loved ones. The time that you spent in nature. The times when you had fun. 

So have fun with your RC's. Drive them, let children to drive them, let your friends to drive them. If you have a lot of RC's make races. Live, laugh...

Thats what I learned in the past few years. These cars are after all just things. I don't believe in shelf queens any more. 

So in the end I would give them to kids, no matter what they do with them. If these so many cars only would care only one kid and make him/her a happy Tamiya fan then it worth doing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There's a good probability I'll die before my wife and kids.  I suspect my son will grab a few of his favorites, my daughter won't care, and my wife will liquidate the collection after a few years of dusting them.  I probably need to write down some hints, like my Tamiyaclub login and password, so she can direct the collection to fellow enthusiasts.  Hopefully that's another 20-30 years out!

• Like 2

I've been in some very dark places over the past few years (doing better now though :) ) and wanted to make sure that I made everything as simple to take care of as possible. So I compiled a couple of documents which had all my various accounts - bank, utilities, insurance policies, pensions, assets, any regular payments, standing orders, direct debits, useful contacts - personnel dept, manager, accountant. Another thing was to explain how to do certain things that I took care of - this was highlighted to me when my dad was in hospital for a long time and my mum had no idea how to pay wages or bills and I saw how incredibly stressful it was for her. I also catalogued everything I had in terms of valuables - RC cars, collectables, books, heirlooms, bikes, giving them all a concise description, including condition and what I would expect them to be worth. Again, added TC as a good place to put them up for sale. On top of that I suggested people that could either be of use in helping sell them or might be able to help with any specific things (names of builders and plumbers we used in the past etc.) I then popped these documents on my google drive so they are accessible from any of my devices.

Now, I sincerely intend for these never to be used for the purpose they were intended, but I've kept them and told Mrs. Jon about them so she knows (and I know) that if anything should happen to me or I'm out of action she knows exactly who to contact, what to do, what stuff is etc, which - although it came from a dark place - I think is a very useful thing to do anyhow.

• Like 4

It could be tomorrow, it could be next year. What happens to my RC is up to the Mrs, if she goes 1st then I’ll take all her knitting needles to the charity shop they came from, that’s for sure ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, J@mes said:

It could be tomorrow, it could be next year. What happens to my RC is up to the Mrs, if she goes 1st then I’ll take all her knitting needles to the charity shop they came from, that’s for sure ;) 

You just brought up a really good point; my wife is deep into her sewing and quilting hobby, and a few times I've thought about what I'd do with her stuff if she passed away first.  What I'd likely do is keep her finished quilts, give away most of her fabric, thread, patterns, and templates to her closest friends, but keep her sewing machines and specialty tools in case I needed to do something myself.

I can imagine she might do something similar -- keep some finished cars for memory's sake, offer a lot of parts, pieces, and supplies to my closest RC friends, and keep any tools she finds interesting or useful for her own hobbies.

Whichever one of us goes first, it'll be devastating to the other.  We're totally and completely in love with each other, even after 25 years of marriage!

• Like 5

It's just stuff. I couldn't care less what happens to it after I'm gone. We don't have kids, and none of my stuff is particularly valuable anyway. My hope would be that, if my wife didn't need to sell anything for money, she would just give things away to anyone who expressed a genuine interest in them. Ths goes for my RC stuff, my plastic model collection, guitars, MG... all of it. If it goes to appreciative new owners, that's all I care about.

• Like 1

Since my first RC almost 40yrs (😳) ago, they've never really been into shelf queens, did dabble in ones for the shelf, but ended up stuffing in brushless and lipos and running them anyway, before selling them, as the enjoyment is tainted with, hope it doesn't get damaged.

I'd like all mine to see track time (purpose built, or garden/park) for the rest of the cars usable life, then like me, once it's time has come, the useable parts used to keep others seeing track time and being enjoyed.

I see facebook posts of perfectly good cars that have been pulled out of rubbish dumps , which means there's plenty that are in land fill, just litterally wasting away 😥.

Hope you're around for a long time yet @ACCEL ,enjoy them all, then hopefully there's only parts to be sold on anyway.😎

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

The best part is you’re not around when she finds out how much you’ve spent ...

My wife would find a way to hunt me down if she found out how much l’d spent...

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Whichever one of us goes first, it'll be devastating to the other.  We're totally and completely in love with each other, even after 25 years of marriage!

And that is what we live for, as someone who has been on the brink of divorce, separated for 1.5 years, and just holding on to what's left by the skin of my teeth, I long for someone to feel the same way to me as I do about them. 

I've stopped collecting vintage Rc's, and slowly letting go of those that are no longer used or sit on the shelf, because at the end of the day, they don't really matter, and I would hate for someone to try figure out what's what, and what goes with what, and what something's worth when I'm gone.

The only thing that matters, is my little nearly3 yo boy, who is now fully engroseed in the hobby, gets to enjoy it as much as possible with his old man.🚗

• Like 4

I kinda expected someone here to outline their plans for a mausoleum so they can be buried with their NIB Tamiyas.  I'm disappointed, guys.  :D

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Blista said:

I kinda expected someone here to outline their plans for a mausoleum so they can be buried with their NIB Tamiyas.  I'm disappointed, guys.  :D

Next best thing?  :D

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

The best part is you’re not around when she finds out how much you’ve spent ...

i do not have to worry about that anymore (her that is), Speedy knows.

I know this vessel was never here forever all the more to give a **** where it's going, it's what i do, my three adult children are not into it, friends of mine have other interests and the grand kids well lets just say Great grandma loves them very very much.

on that note i'll just have fun building whether at work or here it's all i have and The Almighty.

5 hours ago, Blista said:

Been wondering how long it'd take to be discovered I'm missing, buried by a toppled pile of kit boxes in the mancave. Or just a single 3spd rolling off a high shelf could be lethal too. 

Meh.

• Haha 4

On 02/21/2020 at 10:00 PM, WillyChang said:

Been wondering how long it'd take to be discovered I'm missing, buried by a toppled pile of kit boxes in the mancave. Or just a single 3spd rolling off a high shelf could be lethal too. 

Meh.

Hey, they don't call it the "Bruiser" for nothing...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

Hey, they don't call it the "Bruiser" for nothing...

If given the choice, I'd rather it be a Super Sabre or something less painful. Perhaps a Wild Dagger. Definitely not a Clod Buster.

• Haha 3

On 2/21/2020 at 2:50 AM, Grastens said:

I would encourage my family members to sell my RC gear on this forum.

I've actually done this, and based on the responses I got, they are most certainly not going to. 😂 In all likelihood they'll try to sell all of it as one huge lot at an estate sale, and the remainder will go in the dumpster with everything else I own. Which quite frankly fine with. My collection means a whole lot to me but obviously meaningless once I'm gone. All of the bits and pieces would be a burden for my surviving family to deal with, and I feel like it's unrealistic to expect them to try and sift through it all. I mean sure, it would be fantastic if my hoard collection were distributed here on the forum, but I kinda don't see that happening. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not really thought about it TBH.  A few years back I'd have hoped my wife would employ the help of some of my RC-related friends to disseminate amongst themselves and arrange selling on of the rest, but the local friends that she knows have largely moved away from the hobby.  My RC friends are mostly now on the other end of the internet somewhere, she doesn't even known their names, less how to get in touch with them.  But I'm not really bothered - I don't own anything particularly rare or special.  She might choose to keep the one RC that she helped me build when we got together, otherwise I'd hope that they get sold on somewhere on the appropriate channels (even as a job-lot, as these can be huge boons to other people in the hobby) and not just dumped, but ultimately it won't matter to me.

It would be lovely if my kid/s wanted to keep some for themselves but my daughter is too young to care and we're still waiting for the quantum wave function to collapse on child 2.

I spent a lot more time wondering about what would happen with all the unfinished stories and music on my hard drives.  I've often thought that my wife would go through my Stories and Novels folder and pick out the stuff that was finished or almost finished and keep it for posterity.  Maybe even someone would read it and say "hey, this is actually quite good, let's posthumously publish it."  But I guess that's just a fantasy.  Likewise I wonder if my old partner in music would take on my laptop, dig out all the music I never got around to releasing and put it out on his record label as digital-only pre-release bonus material.  It somehow feels like a great loss that it would otherwise be left on a hard drive until it deteriorated to nothing, or erased, or junked or recycled.  But maybe I'm just being far too vain.  If my music is worth listening to, I should be distributing it while I'm still alive.