KalEl63

Next Project

Now the CR01 finished my next project I want to do is a XV01.

what I am wondering do I wait until he longer damper kit comes out or just get a “normal” kit and get the parts to make it a long damper or is it not worth it?

also what are must haves for this chassis?

cheers for any ad ice in advance 

• Like 1

I was expecting a ReRe TS as your next project...

However I'm looking forward to seeing your spin on the XV01. B)

• Like 1

I'd wait until the long damper spec comes out, although you will have to buy a body separately.

If you get the long damper, you’ll prob want the sway bars to manage the weight up front better, the sway bar can be use to improve body control and weight transfer when you run longer suspension and softer springs. 

if you want longer/Upgrade shocks on the long damper, GF01 and CC01 alloy dampers are a perfect fit (same shocks diff color). TRF501 front spring kits seem to be soft enough, TRF201 front spring kit if you want a bit firmer.  DF03 springs way too hard unless your on smooth grippy surfaces just doing jumps. 

the plastic hinge pin balls can split in a hard hit, letting the whole arm come out. there is steel balls available, you might like to get the carriers in carbon reinforced or aluminium. I prefer the carbon as I like to grind them down a bit to maintain steering after increasing suspension travel/droop. 

slipper clutch, probably not needed. I have it on mine but unless your trying to race on a racetrack, the traction control it offers is probably not that helpful. On the other hand if your launching full tilt off curbs and landing on grippy bitumen then the clutch might be needed to protect the drivetrain. For slippery landings though I see no need. 

• Like 3

On 2/23/2020 at 10:08 PM, Falcon#5 said:

I was expecting a ReRe TS as your next project...

However I'm looking forward to seeing your spin on the XV01. B)

Thought about it but I have my original so not on the high priority list

Thanks for the info @Juls1 I’ll be basically always on dirt or gravel 

there is a small pure dirty BMX track near my home that the jumps are more like lumps and looks perfect for some rally driving 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KalEl63 said:

Thanks for the info @Juls1 I’ll be basically always on dirt or gravel 

there is a small pure dirty BMX track near my home that the jumps are more like lumps and looks perfect for some rally driving 

Because the XV01 is quite front heavy, it is great at scale sort of jumps, but what it doesn't do is jump like a buggy, so you can't really do massive jumps like you could with a DF03RA or some touring car based rally cars. 

You most likely will want to run fairly firm front suspension if your just running on smoother gravel surfaces. I run mine on fairly scale sort of suspension with huge amounts of droop and a relatively low ride height (about 12-14mm) so the wheels really drop down as you go over a jump or the car becomes light over a crest. 

It makes the sway bars critical as I can't rely on the spring tension alone to reduce the leaning through corners. It's unbelievably fun to drive though.. it's hard to believe how much more addictive it is to drive than my TT02S and TL01LA rally cars.

• Like 3

just received the long F&R CF damper stays for the conversion on the one i purchased, was going to get the new chassis kit but wanted the Lancia body.

it'll roll.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 12:17 AM, ACCEL said:

just received the long F&R CF damper stays for the conversion on the one i purchased, was going to get the new chassis kit but wanted the Lancia body.

it'll roll.

Yeah that’s the one I want so I guess I have to figure out the best way to do it... I’m still thing the longer damper set up is worth the time and money either way

i also have to figure out what motor I want to put in it. I still want to stay brushed and nothing silly but something better than the good old silver can

On 2/25/2020 at 10:09 AM, Juls1 said:

You most likely will want to run fairly firm front suspension if your just running on smoother gravel surfaces. I run mine on fairly scale sort of suspension with huge amounts of droop and a relatively low ride height (about 12-14mm) so the wheels really drop down as you go over a jump or the car becomes light over a crest. 

It makes the sway bars critical as I can't rely on the spring tension alone to reduce the leaning through corners. It's unbelievably fun to drive though.. it's hard to believe how much more addictive it is to drive than my TT02S and TL01LA rally cars.

Interesting info. How do you achieve the droop? Did you have to modify parts?

3 hours ago, njmlondon said:

Interesting info. How do you achieve the droop? Did you have to modify parts?

Lots of grinding, remove the droop stop tabs for a start, then up front you need to remove quite a bit of the front Hinge pin blocks,  it does I imagine reduce the strength of those hinge pin blocks but I’ve never broken the carbon reinforced part, I have broken the plastic ball that was inside it though so it’s not like I’m being gentle. 

• Like 1

this is the track I would be looking at using the XV01 on...if you could call it a BMX track 😂

• Like 1

XV01 would love it. I have T version and that track would be perfect

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Busdriver said:

XV01 would love it. I have T version and that track would be perfect

Yeah I’m thinking it will be but still deciding on if I get the long damper kit or the Lancia and figure out what parts I need to covert to long damper

Don’t know how the T version compares with the long damper model?

@Juls1 I have been meaning to ask what are the metal balls item number as I’m not sure what part you are talking about since I don’t have my car yet

secondly with the GF-01 can you get better fitting pistons than the black ones (I guess you could say machined pistons)

Tamiya 50994 or 9805739 for steel, 54747 for nylon.

There is also 53709 I’m not sure what material they are made from but it says fluorine coated, so I assume they are steel. 

the gf01 damper comes with the trf nylon pistons as standard. You don’t use the ones on the sprue. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Juls1 said:

Tamiya 50994 or 9805739 for steel, 54747 for nylon.

There is also 53709 I’m not sure what material they are made from but it says fluorine coated, so I assume they are steel. 

the gf01 damper comes with the trf nylon pistons as standard. You don’t use the ones on the sprue. 

Thank you so much for your help and I looked at a pic of the GF01 and you’re right (not that I doubted you) it comes with four 3 hole pistons

so you would run nylon balls if you had the ally suspension parts?

46 minutes ago, KalEl63 said:

so you would run nylon balls if you had the ally suspension parts?

I would think so, Ive never run the alloy parts, I only run the carbon reinforced parts as the fronts are severely ground down to keep the steering working properly when you run the longer travel settings.

the plastic pivot balls do break, they split and then the whole arm/hinge pin can fall out, I would have thought the nylon would be much stronger, obviously steel stronger again. 

Juls

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

I would think so, Ive never run the alloy parts, I only run the carbon reinforced parts as the fronts are severely ground down to keep the steering working properly when you run the longer travel settings.

the plastic pivot balls do break, they split and then the whole arm/hinge pin can fall out, I would have thought the nylon would be much stronger, obviously steel stronger again. 

Juls

Do you have any pics of that?

also a question for anyone who might know can you get black spoke wheels that the kit rally tyres fit

you just need to check if they are 26mm, if they say narrow or 24mm then the tires will be a bit bloated on the rim. 

in terms of rally style wheels try 19335550

• Like 1

Is it worth getting front one way #54517 along with the slipper clutch?

what does the the one way do?

so Ive been reading that the plastic internal gears are the weak point in the diffs so does 54471 fit the front also as it says rear