acprc

3045 Kyosho Nitro Mitsubishi Nikon Pajero Rally

So as ever I usually have around 8 or 9 projects on the go. As the David Jun TNX and the Kyosho Turbo Burns near completion I have been wondering which kits to do next. I picked this up from Japan recently and thought it would be good to do next.

img4-127202070917-1-1100.jpg

The Pajero along with the Citroen ZX is one of the rarer nitro cars from this family. Most people would of heard about the RS200 and the Peugeot 405. I have an RS200 to restore and I have already done the 405. The Citroen ZX body I have just needs a chassis.

img4-07122013124758-1-1100.jpg

So the Pajero has a badly cracked body, to bad for me to want to use it so I have used some body tape to hold it together and it will get sold off. The Pajero does look good though

img4-127202070917-2-1100.jpg

The chassis is pretty much complete but needs some love

img4-127202070917-3-1100.jpg

Having looked it over there are a few plastic parts missing and I have already ordered them, mainly some mounts, the aerial holder etc. The parts aren't too rusty and I am hoping I can recover the tyres and wheels with some care. A few plastic parts are bent (body mounts) but they should straighten up. Most parts from these chassis are still available in the Kyosho FD- range.

I already have a new body so that will be painted for this restoration by @jonboy1

img4-21042016160938-1.jpg

The engine on this is the Kyosho GS-11R and it is seized solid. Its also missing the carb but that was easy enough to find.

s-l1600-1.jpg

The rest of the engine restoration will be documented. Next steps will be to strip the car down, time to get dirty again!

• Like 6

Remarkably the servos have tested ok! Full range of movement and no nasty sounds.

IMG-5848.jpg

Took the head off the engine to have a look. seized solid and a load of dust inside.....this one will be tough to get moving again!

IMG-5849.jpg

Full strip of the chassis tomorrow night. Can then do a sort of what needs cleaning, what need restoring and what needs replacing. I am expecting plastic parts to generally be ok, the screws to be a mixed bag but will plan to restore the Kyosho ones where I can and the metal parts to need a full restore. Pics to follow soon.

• Like 2

So made some progress and got the chassis stripped and sorted

Plastic parts to be cleaned along with the shocks, chassis plate, wheels and tyres

IMG-6442.jpg

Screws to be ultrasonic cleaned and refurbished

IMG-6443.jpg

Metal parts to be restored, the biggest job in this restoration

IMG-6444.jpg

Initial parts to throw away, more to follow I'm sure

IMG-6445.jpg

The engine parts

IMG-6446.jpg

The servos

IMG-6447.jpg

some new parts already arrived, these are to replace the missing screws

IMG-6448.jpg

and then this popped up in Japan.! Won it for £39. I do need a chassis for my Citroen so this will be perfect!

i-img1200x900-1581821392xbdgsc426563.jpg

Lots of work to do now!

Observations are that some parts are rusty but might be recoverable, we shall see. As expected all the ball ends are brittle. Not sure what it is about Kyosho plastic on these but they just dont last like old Tamiya parts.

Also ordered a full bearing set to replace the awful bushings.

• Like 4

Some progress

Radio gear all cleaned up ready to be refitted

IMG-5853.jpg

The tank went in some denture cleaner along with the fuel tubing

IMG-5854.jpg

and 24 hours later is looking much better. I have found a nice shiny looking cap in my Kyosho spares as well. Just needs a rinse wash and drying out.

IMG-5855.jpg

Carb arrived today so that's ready to go back on the engine once its refurbished. Next step will be washing the plastic parts. Tyres are in the dishwasher. Sorry dear!

• Like 2

Wheels and tyres came out great. I'm very tempted to get a nitro car to relive my youth - I have fond memories of a Nitro Evader truggy thing - but wouldn't know where to begin. What's a good (well supported) Tamiya nitro car I could keep an eye out for? Didn't they build one based on the TT01? Sorry to hijack your thread with questions!

Look forward to seeing your progress...

10 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Wheels and tyres came out great. I'm very tempted to get a nitro car to relive my youth - I have fond memories of a Nitro Evader truggy thing - but wouldn't know where to begin. What's a good (well supported) Tamiya nitro car I could keep an eye out for? Didn't they build one based on the TT01? Sorry to hijack your thread with questions!

Look forward to seeing your progress...

Thanks for the comment. Sadly none of the Tamiya nitro cars are particularly well supported as they haven't released a new one for some time. In the UK the TGS chassis still has ample parts availability but the engine and Fuel Tank are getting harder to find parts for, especially the engine. That said the engine can be replaced with slightly more modern engines from the likes of Force. The good thing with the TGS is that it shares lots of parts with the TT-01 so wheels, tyres and bodies are amply available.

Buggy wise I always think the NDF-01 range are underrated. Again though engine parts are getting thin on the ground as are bodies. The rest of it is easy to get.

I get a lot of enjoyment from the large scale TGM chassis cars and I have a build thread for a TNX at the moment. A used TNX would make a good project as the engine can be swapped for lots of other types and the original engine was made by O.S. If you go for a TNX 5.2r the engine was by Force and that is also easily aquired.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of nitro's, but you seem to pick the most interesting models every time for a build. I'm following all your restorations closely! The progress from the before and after pictures is just so satisfying to watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

I'm not a fan of nitro's, but you seem to pick the most interesting models every time for a build. I'm following all your restorations closely! The progress from the before and after pictures is just so satisfying to watch.

Thanks, I will keep documenting the more interesting ones here. I have a crash damaged 1/8 Tamiya Nitro TGR coming up and a rare 1/8 Nitro Kyosho Porsche 959 in the pipeline.

Good news and Bad news today!

Good news is the plastic parts are washed and they came up fine

IMG-5868.jpg

A few bits to work on like the shocks and diffs but basically clean. Also started looking at the seized engine and it is well and truly stuck. Tried every trick I know to release the crankshaft but its had it. So stripped off what I can save to recover and will get what I need elsewhere. Found this on Ebay in France (a GS-11r crankcase) and purchased it. Not 100% sure what parts I am getting but its brand new and was cheap. Engine recovery on its way! 

s-l1600-2.jpg

First set of bearings arrived, maybe others today so I can start building the diffs and gearbox casings up.

• Like 1

So I had a very productive day Saturday. The engine arrived and I found out I had basically bought a crankcase and backplate. I added some new head screws, fitted the carb and set about recovering what I could from the old engine. I think I will need to purchase the crankshaft, piston, liner and conrod. I think everything else will be ok (maybe the one way bearing). Everything was then cleaned and polished that would be re-used. The heatsink head was blasted and then the lower lip polished. Looks great. The muffler polished up well also.

IMG-5876.jpg

Spent the rest of the day sanding and then polishing all the metal parts. It was nearly three hours work to get them all done but that allowed me to get the car together. Some before shots

IMG-5869.jpg

and as of ten minutes ago the car looks like this

IMG-5873.jpg

IMG-5874.jpg

IMG-5875.jpg

The only new parts on this at the moment are the screws, washers, servo rubbers, bearings and some of the e-clips.

Some more things to do though:

Order parts for the engine and get it built, fit a cable-tie round the RX, finish off the servo linkages (I have one missing), polish the fuel tank cap, fit the wheels when the new black wheel nuts arrive and fit a battery box

Happy so far! Body next

• Like 4

Did a little bit more research today on the engine. It would appear that the engine originally fitted to the kit was a Kyosho GS11-CR. This is extensively the same as what I have but it had a red plastic backplate, different heatsink head and a different starter, starter shaft and one way bearing. Sometime in the past this has been changed to a later setup from the GS11R. This uses a later and very different set of parts. They both work but originality is always good.

Now the question is where do I go? Keep the setup as it is or try and find the older parts? Decisions decisions!

I am following your thread with interest, as i have a real soft spot for these Kyosho's.

I have all of the variations, exept the Pajero, so a bit of body envy here... Is the new body you have a re re, or an original? I wouldn't mind finding one.

34 minutes ago, acprc said:

At one point i had nearly 30 of these models, but after realising i had become a bit of a hoarder, i slimmed the collection down, and just have 12 now. I have a large collection of NOS spares for these too, so i may have some parts you are after. I do have an NOS engine as well...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Speaking of bodies.. is this car just a weird size? Are there any aftermarket bodies that would fit the same dimensions as the RS200 ? 

Loving watching the build, excellent. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 7:58 PM, Andy Stewart1 said:

Speaking of bodies.. is this car just a weird size? Are there any aftermarket bodies that would fit the same dimensions as the RS200 ? 

Its a weird size for sure! Not sure what outside of the Kyosho bodies will fit.

Not much progress this week as I was overseas on business. I did manage to get a few bits though.

New muffler bolts. The Kyosho cars of this period use M2.6 not M3 and as I have a few cars to restore still I picked up a pack of ten.

s-l1600-2.jpg

Managed to get the Con rod. Thats one more bit ticked off for the engine restoration. I am contemplating cutting open the old engine casing to get the old parts out as I love a challenge!

s-l1600-1.jpg

And the wheel nuts arrived so duly fitted them, the wheels and the new aerial holder.

IMG-6452.jpg

IMG-6451.jpg

The chassis is pretty much finished apart from the cable tie, a battery box and the throttle servo linkage. I need to get the linkage set for that and have my eye out for it. Progress.

• Like 3

On 3/3/2020 at 8:58 PM, Andy Stewart1 said:

Before the 190-200mm touringcars took off in the 90s we run wide touring cars, that were mainly lowered 4WD buggies, like Optimas, Cats etc. A lot of companies made bodies for that kind of cars like Parma, Frewer or Kyosho. Some were designed especially for buggies and some were designed for 1/10 pan cars and cut to fit more or less....

Parma Alfa 155

RIMG2988.JPG.d9a45d8b10bc96dffa9235dc2bf1728f.JPG

Frewer Vauxhall Cavalier

RIMG3322.JPG.5e3140845d0dc2256211bd5e99960505.JPG

Parma Vauxhall Astra

RIMG3238.JPG.34ab42a31d575918a32645ba000beeb1.JPG

Parma 60t Vette

RIMG3056.JPG.bee5e4c2f71423b36ded686ac71d72cc.JPG

Parma Calibra

RIMG2833.JPG.7253472f656468b05e4794f8c4cd8720.JPG

Frewer Peugeot 205 T16

RIMG2754.JPG.59ac8ee07408db9a03e71c98a9fdba1d.JPG

• Like 2

I’m drooling - both at all those bodies and that RS200!!! Wow how do you get that so clean!!! It’s gorgeous. 

Yes all those bodies would be on my Xmas list 

....in the meantime ... I ordered some BMW M3 bodies direct from frewer

im waiting to see if they will arrive 

@acprc send me that engine I’ll get it moving! It cannot be more seized than mine was!

3 hours ago, Andy Stewart1 said:

I’m drooling - both at all those bodies and that RS200!!! Wow how do you get that so clean!!! It’s gorgeous. 

Yes all those bodies would be on my Xmas list 

....in the meantime ... I ordered some BMW M3 bodies direct from frewer

im waiting to see if they will arrive 

@acprc send me that engine I’ll get it moving! It cannot be more seized than mine was!

Its truly stuck. I am actually planning on cutting it open!

• Like 1

Spent an hour or so on Saturday cutting the old engine casing open with my Dremel. I managed to recover the crankshaft and polished it up. That will save me approx £30. The piston and liner have had it.

IMG-6459.jpg

Won a piston and liner in France for approx £3, I already have the con rod and ordered a new gudgeon pin. I think that's all I need now to get the engine finished.

s-l1600-1.jpg

• Like 4

With all the COVID-19 issues at work and making sure my team of 30 are ok its not left much time for RC this week. The engine parts came for the GS11 motor and so I built it up and fitted it into the car. The chassis now looks like this

IMG-6460.jpg

I have two parts to do and its finished. It still needs an Acoms battery box and the iconic red Kyosho air filter. The engine came up nicely in the end

IMG-6461.jpg

All the linkages are now in place.

The new body will go to @jonboy1 when he is ready for it and then she will be pretty much done. I matched up the reusable ty-wrap and picked up some on Ebay so will change the one on the chassis when they arrive. Debating about painting the tyres and I still need to polish the fuel tank cap. Small jobs that will get done this week.

• Like 2