New to RC cars just bought a tt02 two first day out today day 13 miles per hour slight damage to front end but enjoyed it need advice and guidance for my rs1800 rally car. I would like to do speedruns and develop this car thinking of going brushless Steel gears and alloy everything else.

Ball bearings if not already fitted.

And cva oil dampers if your using the stock kit undamped ones.

I wouldnt bother about alloy everything else apart from the steering set and the prop shaft. Dont bother with aftermarket alloy suspension arms as you will break the chassis or gearboxes if you crash it too hard.

This will be an ongoing Project I want to do everything step by step and see what improvements to speed and reliability I can get I am motor vehicle engineer by trade so I can use my knowledge to good use I think 2s will be quick but I like to go 3S under control if you know what I mean top speed runs on my aim

If you're looking to liven up a TT02 and do some speed with it, here are some suggested upgrades to make:

• Tamiya 54500 TT02 high speed gear set:  The main reason to get this is so you can mount 48 pitch or 64 pitch spur gears and then run larger pinions on the motor.  You'll get a lot more gearing options by having this critical spur gear mount and spacer included in the car.
  • Yeah Racing TT02-13BU adjustable motor mount:  When you start experimenting with different spur gears then you'll need more options than what the kit motor mount provides.  This motor mount gives you the ability to set the pinion/spur gear mesh perfectly.
  • Tamiya 54501 aluminum prop shaft:  The kit plastic center prop shaft is an improvement over the older TT01's prop shaft, but if you're going to run top speeds then it's better to install this in place of the plastic shaft.  I'd skip the 54502 prop joints as the shaft itself seems to fit better in the kit plastic prop joints.
  • Tamiya 51004 "G" parts for TT01:  These are the differential cases, ring gears, and pinion bevel gears to be used in conjunction with two sets of Tamiya 51008 bevel gear set.  The TT02 internal gears are all plastic; the TT01 internal gears are metal.  Some people in the past have upgraded their TT02B differentials to DF02 differentials; the same can be done by upgrading from TT02 differentials to TT01 differentials.
  • Tamiya 51008 bevel gear set:  See description above for Tamiya 51004.
  • Personally I don't think upgrading the differential joint cups, dog bones, or axle stubs from the kit parts to CVDs / universal joints is worth it for speed running.  If you were racing on a track or drifting with wider steering angles then some better component might be worth it.
  • As mentioned earlier, a full set of ball bearings if you haven't done it already.
  • Yeah Racing #DSG-0055BU "Shock Gear" 55 mm damper set:  I've used a few of these and they seem to work pretty well.  The kit includes multiple spring sets with different rates, shock pistons with different numbers of holes as well as straight and tapered holes, threaded aluminum bodies, and all the hardware needed to mount them.  With the threaded dampers you can adjust ride height and corner weights to try to balance the car a little better.
  • I'd skip any alloy suspension arms, adjustable upper arms, or alloy uprights/bearing hubs.  All this stuff is subject to bending in a crash or breaking your main chassis; just stick with the plastic parts for more durability.
  • Yeah Racing TT02-04BU aluminum steering set:  The TT02 plastic steering is much better than the older TT01's stock steering, but it still has a little slop in it you can trim out with some tape, or you can buy this upgrade set with ball bearings to make it even better.

I'd shoot for the motor mount, high speed gear set, center prop shaft, ball bearings, and damper set first.  Then if you strip a differential go for the TT01 diffs.  The steering set is a nice-to-have.

• Like 2

I was thinking of using a Hobby rocket 4.5t v2 motor with a 120amp each or does any one have a better idea for a  motor/Esc for speed runs?

Everybody is giving good advise. You can make a tt02 go pretty fast and being four wheel drive it is less of a handful at high speeds. You'll find that sometimes it's not hard to go fast but slowing the car down is where it gets squirrely.

My only input is that there is more to this hobby than just doing speed runs. Ive built cars for this purpose and its cool to drive 60 mph but it's never really given me lasting joy. Making a car that handles awesome and fine tuning it is pretty fun. I don't know how new you are to the RC hobby but it takes some serious practice to drive a car at high speeds on the edge of control. You will see experienced guys on here doing speed runs and crash hard. It's part of the game. I guess I'm just preparing you for some pretty catastrophic speed runs. If you are willing to break some parts it can be rewarding.

As far as motors. These days I have been favoring higher turn motors with really tall gearing. If you buy the gearset and motor mounts mentioned above you can run some pretty tall gears while keeping temperatures low. On speed runs temps aren't totally critical as you will just do a pass or two.

On 2/25/2020 at 12:58 AM, Pops1371 said:

I was thinking of using a Hobby rocket 4.5t v2 motor with a 120amp each or does any one have a better idea for a  motor/Esc for speed runs?

How fast are you wanting to go? A 4.5T motor will be on the limit of a 120a ESC on 2S. You may be better going for say 8.5T and running 3S. Or getting a 160a ESC that coukd handle a low turn motor on 3S. Or buying an 8th scale ESC and running 6S on a lower kv motor. There are a few speed run threads on here, have a read of them and see what they recommend

• Thanks 1

I used to run 12th scale nitro car in in the late 90s and smashed it to bits a lot of times lots of fun though. I don't know a lot about electric is it more Windings more torque hence higher gearing? I used to do a lot of motorcycle drag racing and have access to their Fields so brakes are not critical. Would like to do 60 mph maybe 70mph if not more if I Can? I'm not going all out for the all singing and dancing alloy stuff except for steering and tansmison mods..

3 hours ago, Pops1371 said:

I used to run 12th scale nitro car in in the late 90s and smashed it to bits a lot of times lots of fun though. I don't know a lot about electric is it more Windings more torque hence higher gearing? I used to do a lot of motorcycle drag racing and have access to their Fields so brakes are not critical. Would like to do 60 mph maybe 70mph if not more if I Can? I'm not going all out for the all singing and dancing alloy stuff except for steering and tansmison mods..

That should be fine with a normal sized 540 can and maybe even on 2S. 

What ESC in particular are you looking at?  Like I said in the previous post, I would look for a 160a or more that can handle 3S, and look for one that can handle low wind motors on 3S.  Most 120a will handle 3S but will be limited to 10.5T or something much higher than the 4.5T you're proposing.  You're right on the limit with that setup so probably can't handle much dynamic timing on the ESC either, so another reason to run a bigger ESC.

What about a surpass  v5r 13.5t motor I don't know what ESC to run with that but any ideas? would that be better?

57 minutes ago, Pops1371 said:

What about a surpass  v5r 13.5t motor I don't know what ESC to run with that but any ideas? would that be better?

They are great motors.  I run the V4S in my race buggies and the V5R is an evolution of that, bigger number = better right?

The same 120a ESC you were talking about will run it, and probably on 3S and with heaps of timing and boost.

SkyRC TS120 or TS160 are good.  Hobbyking have a range from cheap to more expensive, anything Hobbywing is generally good.  Make sure its programmable and not a stock spec or blinky though.

I think I'll go that way it sounds like a good plan with the V5R. Was as wondering about does anybody know about tyres for speedruns as in radial or whatever else is available go to suit?

1 hour ago, Pops1371 said:

I think I'll go that way it sounds like a good plan with the V5R. Was as wondering about does anybody know about tyres for speedruns as in radial or whatever else is available go to suit?

Check out the speed run thread as people usually list what tyres they use.  The issue you have is ballooning at high speed.  Foam tyres don't do this, not sure how much speed they can handle before they fall apart though

See what winds you can get the V5R motor in, a 10.5T or 8.5T may be a better bet as a starting point for speed runs.

Thanks for the advice on the tires I've seen some radials that supposed to be going to high speed with the motor I think bigger is better as you say and why why not go the whole hog I will only  spend the money again and again on it.so here's goes V5R 13.5T!

For reference, you might want to browse this thread and its predecessor.  It'll give you some ideas about motors, ESC, gearing, tires, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1