netsmithUK

FAKE Sand Scorcher - Fake rhymes with cake?

quote:Originally posted by technical.burP

What is so wrong about my statement Wendy? The Tyrell and the XR-311 were available in the shops here in Germany in 2001. The Lancia 37 is from 2003 I think. I guess they simply started slowly and now they have switched onto nostalgia. By the way, I never excluded the idea that Tamiya could rerelease a metal type of car because what they always produced in metal were those tiny nut drivers that you get with any Tamiya RC kit.[8D]

id="quote">id="quote">

It's Wandy, not Wendy![:D]

Yes, so that is 4 re-releases in four years. How does that compare to 8 re-releases in 1 year? What I am suggesting is that Tamiya HAS been influenced by a potential "new" market, ie the "OLD" market they actually had 20 years ago. Those re-release you mention were a token gesture...what is happening new represents a whole new niche in the market.

I kinda tend to agree with Wandy. I think that the past re-releases weren't really re-releases, except for the XR-311, Dyna Storm, and Tyrell 6 Wheeler. The Lancia was a TA03, Wild Willy 2 was all new chassis, etc. The re-releases that they are putting out now are basically exactly the same as the originals except for the speedo and some decals. I think Tamiya is heading in the re-release direction at full force and will probably focus on this direction for a while. I think they will be suprised by how many people will eat these kits up when they come out!

Wireless you say you have ACTUALLY ORDERED 2 scorchers??????

from where did you do that??

because this must surely be proof of the re-re if you were able to actually ORDER them already!?!?

let us know and we can all order one too!!

Not only will the 30+ crowd pick them up but I am sure kids will see them and want them as well. Or parents will buy them for there kids. I know if I had a kid they would get a pile of RC cars

Wandy take a look at the differences between those re-re's the first re-re's were more involved. the XR311 with it's aluminum chassis. the tyrell with it's complicated front wheels and adapted f-103 chassis. The Hornet/grasshopper/lunchbox are made mostly of plastic which is cheap and easy to do.

Now for the SRB. I would be very surprised if it comes with a chassis similar to the original. I bet there will be a lot more plastic in it and a lot less pot metal.

Phew what a day!

Secret meetings, big surprises, mammoth threads, conspiracy theories and emails by the score.

I know once a conspiracy theory starts there is no stopping it, so I'm not really going to get involved in arguing it. I will say though this with my hand on my heart and not a word of a lie this photo was taken by me with my IMate Jam camera phone pda thing 'subversively' I took three as I wasn't sure if I should be doing and this was the best. Don't blame me blame the technology. If I had known what was coming I would have been better prepared. Any ikeness to Simens floor or picture is 100% coincidence ( I can see why you would think otherwise though)

Anyway on to the real factsid="red">.

I was summoned to a meeting today with a bunch of other people, mainly shop and magazine people and treated to some nice free sandwiches. I got to see all the latest rereleases destined for a shop near you soon. To top it all off we we then treated to this unveiling which I think I can say without exception caught us all by surprise. I was easily the mosted excited there, most of the rest were pleasently surprised and talked about the good old days, but didn't really understood what this rerelease means.

The inside of the box looks exactly like it did back in the day blisters and all, but on further investigation there are differences. (Did I hear some one say Phew! [;)])

The body is a white Blitzer Beetle one, it even says it stamped to the inside. Side mounting holes are obviously filled and I think in certain lights you can see where they were.

Decals are tweeked, some logos removed others added including the tamiya.com ones. I only saw the decals briefly but did not see the Belray or NGK ones, there may be others too.

Radio box is identical but heres the twist, the battery shown on the box isn't the hump stype its the mini style that came with the rerelease P34 Six Wheeler! What you can see in the picture is that battery with a ESC on it.

Bumpers, shocks, rear cage and just about everything else is identical The metal bits looked a bit more shiney but I just put that down to them being new. I've seen so many old ones in my time.

Manual has been updated, but just those pages relating to the battery

The box itself has also been updated again it looked different but i think that is just because they were all soooo shiney and new. The obvious difference was the battery picture and the 'also required' bit now shows an adspec type controller You can see that if you look closely enough.

There was no word on spares availability but as the on the street price was quoted at £169.99id="red">, I imagine a lot are going to be bought and split up on ebay

That about as much as I can say write now, as far as I know I never signed any sort of Non Disclosure Agreement, so posting these pictures and info here should be ok. Particularly if you bear in mind they are all of course complete fakes and I just made the whole story up. So if you were suspicious your were absolutely right - sorry guys just coulnd't resist it. I stand by the bit about taking the picture with my pda and it not being Simens floor.

Cheers

Chris

Maybe this thread was started to

a.) panic people and have the price of SRBs drop on e-bay

b.) Help take the focus off the community built Sand Scorcher :)

c.) Tamiya Just wants to make people happy

I like to think its c Does not seem like Chris would start such a rumor

Aaaaarrrgghh you swine! I still stand by everything else I said though!

This makes perfect sense. Tamiya has realized the market is there and is tired of people making money off ebay on their products. This way they take control of the market and make some extra cash on old product. Not bad. I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by netsmithUK

Phew what a day!

Secret meetings, big surprises, mammoth threads, conspiracy theories and emails by the score.

I know once a conspiracy theory starts there is no stopping it, so I'm not really going to get involved in arguing it. I will say though this with my hand on my heart and not a word of a lie this photo was taken by me with my IMate Jam camera phone pda thing 'subversively' I took three as I wasn't sure if I should be doing and this was the best. Don't blame me blame the technology. If I had known what was coming I would have been better prepared. Any ikeness to Simens floor or picture is 100% coincidence ( I can see why you would think otherwise though)

Anyway on to the real factsid="red">.

I was summoned to a meeting today with a bunch of other people, mainly shop and magazine people and treated to some nice free sandwiches. I got to see all the latest rereleases destined for a shop near you soon. To top it all off we we then treated to this unveiling which I think I can say without exception caught us all by surprise. I was easily the mosted excited there, most of the rest were pleasently surprised and talked about the good old days, but didn't really understood what this rerelease means.

The inside of the box looks exactly like it did back in the day blisters and all, but on further investigation there are differences. (Did I hear some one say Phew! [;)])

The body is a white Blitzer Beetle one, it even says it stamped to the inside. Side mounting holes are obviously filled and I think in certain lights you can see where they were.

Decals are tweeked, some logos removed others added including the tamiya.com ones. I only saw the decals briefly but did not see the Belray or NGK ones, there may be others too.

Radio box is identical but heres the twist, the battery shown on the box isn't the hump stype its the mini style that came with the rerelease P34 Six Wheeler! What you can see in the picture is that battery with a ESC on it.

Bumpers, shocks, rear cage and just about everything else is identical The metal bits looked a bit more shiney but I just put that down to them being new. I've seen so many old ones in my time.

Manual has been updated, but just those pages relating to the battery

The box itself has also been updated again it looked different but i think that is just because they were all soooo shiney and new. The obvious difference was the battery picture and the 'also required' bit now shows an adspec type controller You can see that if you look closely enough.

There was no word on spares availability but as the on the street price was quoted at £169.99id="red">, I imagine a lot are going to be bought and split up on ebay

That about as much as I can say write now, as far as I know I never signed any sort of Non Disclosure Agreement, so posting these pictures and info here should be ok. Particularly if you bear in mind they are all of course complete fakes and I just made the whole story up. So if you were suspicious your were absolutely right - sorry guys just coulnd't resist it. I stand by the bit about taking the picture with my pda and it not being Simens floor.

Cheers

Chris

id="quote">id="quote">

Erm, Chris I dont think you realise what you've started here. [}:)][:0]

This is SOOOO amazing! THIS KIT WILL EVEN HAVE THE BLISTER PACK TOO??!! Very awesome!!

Hats off to Tamiya![^][^][^][^]Well done!

quote:Originally posted by Gixer Jay

This is SOOOO amazing! THIS KIT WILL EVEN HAVE THE BLISTER PACK TOO??!! Very awesome!!

id="quote">id="quote">

Mate, read Chris' post again. IT'S A WIND uP!![:I][:I]

no guys - listen I really did make it up. Thought you would have twigged a lot earlier

Just fooling around with my 3d software - heres a couple that didn't make it [;)]

for all of you that thought my 'cameraphone' one was too blurred [;)]

parcels.jpg

fake1.jpg

I'm a bad man.[:I]

PS Thanks to all my partners in crime [;)]

quote:Originally posted by RichieRich

This makes perfect sense. Tamiya has realized the market is there and is tired of people making money off ebay on their products. This way they take control of the market and make some extra cash on old product. Not bad. I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!

id="quote">id="quote">

Read netsmiths posts again.

I'm just curious as to where Wireless has preordered one from[xx(][:D]

LOL, it was nice to be right in the end though.. Even though you really ARE a bad guy, Chris, (and the rest of your hoax-guys) it was quite fun stuff.. Hats off to you, for a well done-scam.. LOL..

Cheers.

Michael

I can now imagine how a lottery winner might feel after he just lost the winning ticket. P.S. Wireless your a fiend too! [}:)][}:)][}:)]

quote:Originally posted by Wandy
quote:Originally posted by Gixer Jay

id="quote">id="quote">

Mate, read Chris' post again. IT'S A WIND uP!![:I][:I]

id="quote">id="quote">

I know, but I had to play along with it.haha[}:)]

More fuel for the fire.

Chris, if you had kept ypu're secret that it was all fake for another week or so there would have been some cheap sand scorchers around on ebay and the price would be so low it must be something identical to a rereleas. So i might get that blitzer beetle body now for my super hornet:P LOL

Nice one chris!!! To be honest i felt something like this was coming. When i saw the picture i alredy didn't understand why the bocxes where actually thrown on the ground instead of placed like you would with a kit of 170 pound:P

So did you use sonics pictures?

Chris Look to your right out the window you will see an angry mod fastly approaching. If I were you I would hide!!!

But I seen a F150 on the bay for only 22.00 I was getting excited.

So is the frog for real or is that another hoax?

ED