Nutloaf

Frog Front shocking

Hi, I know frog and monster beetle share same basic chassis, does anyone know if mb front shock towers can fit on a frog? (Putting aside the frog body shell might need to be modified)

18 minutes ago, slimleeroy said:

It will do yes but will look shockingly bad. The monster beetle also uses different wishbones and uprights

I agree that it will look pretty bad as the MB front tower is so high. Also, without the cover behind it, it will flex quite a lot. You are better off getting an aftermarket front shock tower made for the Frog and use “Mini” size dampers instead of “Short” size dampers as on the MB.

And yes, the uprights are different, but the MB wishbones are actually the same as the Frog wishbones. However, the upper/inner stepscrews for the wishbones are a little longer than on the Frog because they double as shock tower mounts (and to fix the servo saver “reinforcer” on the original release MB).

• Like 1

I’m doing a front Monoshock thing right now, but if If I was going for dual front independent shocks I’d opt for the Ampro solution that can be bought in shapeways.  It seems like it is the most frog-like while supporting modern shocks.  I like how low profile it is but it also extends the wheel base a little.  However you do lose caster adjustment.

• Like 1

I used stock CRP towers and CRP dampers and kept the original springs in the chassis for this runner , nice and cheap  . I might remove the springs and convert the dampers to coilovers at some point like the one shown above by Tacomancini

P5190016.JPG

P6130003.JPG

• Like 4

There are a few 3D printed solutions on Shapeways.  CRP also made a set (#9114). 

I recommend the alloy JunFac mounts (or similar).  

I do NOT recommend the aluminum horseshoe shaped one-piece mount available on eBay. It’s bends too easily. 

The Tamiya CVA shocks #50519 fit and perform well, considering it’s still a Frog...

https://jpegbay.com/gallery/007550055-.html#1

Terry

• Like 1

Also, if you use the Frog metal uprights, you can drill out the small unused hole with a 5/64” bit and needle file to get to the 2mm you need for a typical screw...

Terry

9 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Also, if you use the Frog metal uprights, you can drill out the small unused hole with a 5/64” bit and needle file to get to the 2mm you need for a typical screw...

Terry

It might be 5/32 and a 4mm hole...  too many years and too many beers...

Terry

7 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

It might be 5/32 and a 4mm hole...  too many years and too many beers...

Terry

Lol. You yanks are funny with all your imperial measurements. Why nit just get a metric drill bit set! :)

• Like 1

This is my Frog with a front shock conversion. I have not had chance to try it yet,  but it should work a lot better than the kit setup.

85115456_10163116873310584_7065303742601494528_o.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks. The front towers are the alloy ones on eBay, and Tamiya CVA 50519 on the front set to 70mm. The rear shocks are Trackstar and green Team Associated springs. 

• Like 1

The front wheels are Tamiya ones (not sure which ones?) and the rear are Kyosho Turbo Scorpion. 

Thanks StueyS, were the Rear Wheels a straight fit on the Frog or did you use some adapters?