Sign in to follow this  
APR91

ABC Lancis Stratos shell

Hi everybody,

Hopefully someone out there has already done this and can help.  I recently bought a ABC Hobbies Lancia Stratos Shell.  I then picked up a set of Carson Stickers for the Alitalia car.  The problem is the stickers appear to be too large?  I haven't tried applying them yet, but they just look a bit too big when placed next to the body.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? or have I mad a mistake?  If these are the wrong size, does anybody know of a set od stickers that will fit?

thanks for your help in advance.

Alan

• Like 1

Pretty sure the Carson shell fits the TL01/TT01 sized chassis, so if the ABC shell is for M chassis then the Carson decals will be too big  (257mm ish wheelbase v 208mm for M Chassis)

• Like 1

I think I have a Colt Stratos shell lying with an Al Italia livery stickerset. I could do some measurements, if you like?

• Like 1

ABC has two different Lancia Stratos bodies. One for normal 257mm’ish wheelbase touring car size and one for M-chassis short wheelbase (210mm’ish). The Carson body is also for 257mm’ish wheelbase touring car, but the body is so brutally disproportioned, that the green/red stripes will hardly fit a ABC TC Stratos body. I learned it the hard way as I ordered and received two Carson Stratos bodies before catalog photos got available, and ended up putting them both in the garbage after trying to cut and modify one of them to look reasonably similar to the real thing.

If you have a TC size ABC Stratos body (# 66080), your best bet is probably to paint the red/green stripes and just use the sponsor stickers from the Carson sticker set as far as the sizes allow.

If you have the ABC M-chassis Stratos body (# 66062), either the stickers for the Colt or HPI Stratos might be suitable, but it’s a bit unlikely that they all will be a really good fit for the ABC body.

To put sizes into perspective: 

ABC M-chassis body:  about 1/11 scale both in width. length and wheelbase

ABC TC Body: about 1/9 scale in wheelbase and width and 1/8 scale in length! 

Carson body:  about 1/9 scale in wheelbase and 1/10 scale in width. Don't know about length, but most likely somewhere between 1/9 and 1/8 scale.

The Nichimo (hard plastic) body has the sizes quite right, making it suitable for medium wheelbase M-chassis with touring car suspension arms or M-chassis suspension arms with long wheelaxles and wide wheel hubs (depending on choice of wheels).

• Like 1

Hi 

Thanks for all your help and advice.  The shell is the ABC M Chassis shell.  Rather than mess around I may just try and pick up the Colt or HPI shell with the stickers included.  Its a pity, because I think the ABC shell looks the best, but I did have the HPI shell and it looked great on a modified M04 chassis.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Alan

1 hour ago, APR91 said:

Hi 

Thanks for all your help and advice.  The shell is the ABC M Chassis shell.  Rather than mess around I may just try and pick up the Colt or HPI shell with the stickers included.  Its a pity, because I think the ABC shell looks the best, but I did have the HPI shell and it looked great on a modified M04 chassis.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Alan

Yes, it´s a shame that the HPI is discontinued, decided too late to pick one up...