Dave Double Dex

Sand Scorcher shell on a Stadium Thunder/blitzer chassis

5D413165-4EC5-44C2-89A9-2904DBE85B5E.thumb.jpeg.6b02dcaefee223a69924bfa4ddf102a4.jpegHello all

Im back to RCs after a long break and wanted to introduce my kids to the hobby

I picked up a cheap used Stadium Thunder and want to convert to a Blitzer Beetle

I fitted new  Blitzer front and rear (side) body mountings

I bought a re re Scorcher body shell and drilled out the mounting points in the pre marked dimples in the shell

But when I offer up the shell to the chassis, it can only fit on 2 mounts. The other mounting hole is a good few mm away from fitting. if forced, one of the other mounts will pop out (not secured with the clips but it should just drop on)

the nose cone also is also marginally fouling the front springs. 

Anyone else experienced issues with the re re scorcher she’ll fitment onto a Thunder/blitzer chassis?

I'm surprised as Tamiya builds are usually really nice quality

Appreciate any comments

B7FCD58E-804D-47F5-8540-BBF299CB18AA.jpeg

The Blitzer shell has a different hole pattern to the Scorcher , and the Blitzer nose was longer than the stock Scorcher one

• Like 3

Time to get out the filler, drill and file. Needs a bit of work to fit. I run a monster beetle body on my blitzer out of cheapness and the nosecone needed modifying. 

• Like 2

First post but here goes, the blitzer shell has two mount position holes on the bonnet, I would image the dimples in the side you drilled out are ok, it’s possibly the bonnet mount that needs adjusting.

i fitted a blitzer body to a frog chassis and filled one of the bonnet mount holes

5EC3FC76-59CD-49BA-BF1A-89E108CF692C.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Toolmaker72 said:

First post but here goes, the blitzer shell has two mount position holes on the bonnet, I would image the dimples in the side you drilled out are ok, it’s possibly the bonnet mount that needs adjusting.

i fitted a blitzer body to a frog chassis and filled one of the bonnet mount holes

5EC3FC76-59CD-49BA-BF1A-89E108CF692C.jpeg

That looks fantastic!!! 

Thanks for the replies. Ref nose cone, Ok that’s clear, time for the dremel to add some clearance. 

I had already drilled out the bonnet mounting hole, so sorry but that doesn’t really help.

i guess it’s a case of marking up where the body wants to fit and drilling another hole in the side.

as long as the body sits nicely I guess it doesn’t really matter where the mounts are. Better that than forcing it to sit stressed.

i was under the impression that the basic mould is the same for Scorcher, Blitzer and Monster beetle, just inserts added/removed for each variant. Hence my surprise at the mods needed  

cheers

Eureka! It fits!

I located the body using the rear 2 mounts as suggested by toolmaker and marked the nose cone foul with a sharpie, and trimmed little by little with a dremel.

The more material I removed from the SS nose the better the front end fitted until the shell dropped in place perfectly onto the front mounting post (after drilling out the dimple)

so the key is the unique nose piece  as advised by Kev the Rev, which just needs a good few mm clearance adding.

and Tamiyas parts fitted right after all....

thanks to all for your input.👍

will post some pics as the build slowly progresses 😀

B15C648B-196F-4A3C-89BA-4E49226886A4.jpeg

10389B4F-2799-443E-B591-2C14031494B6.jpeg

• Like 2