Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

Frog gear questions

It dawned on me the other day that IIRC, the re-re Frog has an aluminum gear in the two-piece counter gear assembly vs the brass of the original. Anybody have any issues with this spreading aluminum paste through the gearbox like the DF01s?

Not a clue to your question, but I have the remains of my original Frog, and when I rebult the Foxshot geabox I noticed it had the Frog brass counter gear. I also have 2 other gears to fit to it, making it possible to chaneg the ratio even more in the Foxshot. Was this normal for the Frog?

1 hour ago, FoxShot said:

Was this normal for the Frog?

Yes, that's normal. The Frog used a rather unique method for changing gear ratios vs. the more typical adjustable motor mount. The counter gear was in two pieces, made up of the smaller brass drive gear (aluminum in the re-release) and three interchangeable larger spur gears. The spurs had to be used with specific pinions to get three different ratios. 50T spur gear with 18T pinion gear was 7.3:1, 49T spur gear with 19T pinion gear was 6.7:1, and 52T spur gear and 16T pinion gear was 8.5:1. The later monster truck ORV variants (Blackfoot, Monster Beetle, etc.) reverted to a fixed ratio with a one piece nylon counter gear and a longer 10T brass pinion plus an adapter plate to gear down for the bigger tires.

• Like 1

Yes.I've seen this in a xb frog....whole trans needed new gears...was watching it being driven.....and when he gassed it..it was making a clicking sound......when the trans got ripped apart...looked just like aluminum paste...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinned said:

.when the trans got ripped apart...looked just like aluminum paste...

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info!

Use better grease in your gearbox such as Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2.  The ceramic tamiya grease inst the greatest for extreme conditions.....