Jason1145

Seeking a faster 380 motor for T3-01 Dual Rider

Ok I’ve just built and run my stock T3-01 Dual Rider ( Trike thingy) and it’s great fun but a tad too slow...... what faster motor can I try?

Im using a Hobbywing 1060 ESC so it needs to be a brushed motor and be faster than the stock (silver can?) 380 it came with... I’m new to 380 motors and thought someone here could help a lazy time poor guy out lol.

Note - using a small 1700mah 2s lipo already

UK availability would be a plus.

• Like 1

Tamiya make a 380 Sport Tuned motor which surely is faster, cos you know, its sport tuned and has a sticker on it.

Otherwise I'm sure aliexpress or banggood will have a cheap and cheerful brushless combo too

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'd be interested too.  If it were 380, I'd get the Sport Tuned.  I think I've seen how 380 Sport Tuned does as well as the stock silver can.   But I think T3 motor is actually smaller than 380--the manual says 370.  

YUhNIQy.jpg

The diameter looks like 24 mm, length is 30mm.  I'm wondering if 2430 sized brushless would fit.  The shaft diameter of 2430 is also 2mm, same as 370 motor.  2435 (5mm longer, thus stronger) also looks like it uses a 2mm shaft.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Tamiya make a 380 Sport Tuned motor which surely is faster, cos you know, its sport tuned and has a sticker on it.

Otherwise I'm sure aliexpress or banggood will have a cheap and cheerful brushless combo too

Lol stickers and Sport have me sold, marketers dream me!.

5 hours ago, Juggular said:

I'd be interested too.  If it were 380, I'd get the Sport Tuned.  I think I've seen how 380 Sport Tuned does as well as the stock silver can.   But I think T3 motor is actually smaller than 380--the manual says 370.  

YUhNIQy.jpg

The diameter looks like 24 mm, length is 30mm.  I'm wondering if 2430 sized brushless would fit.  The shaft diameter of 2430 is also 2mm, same as 370 motor.  2435 (5mm longer, thus stronger) also looks like it uses a 2mm shaft.  

Right, need to go check the manual if it’s a 370 or 380 motor now haha, knew this was going toooooooo easy 😂

I remember the pinion is weird on this, it’s a push on type and has no grub screw holding it on... so shaft size is unknown at present etc.... yeah... push on?!?!? Weird.

I think I want a brushed motor to work with the 1060 ESC to keep costs down 

• Haha 1

Yes it’s a 370 sized motor... I’d guess I would just pull the pinion off and push it back on a new motor shaft again??? 

You can get an adapter to take a pinion with a grub screw normally found on motors with a 3mm shaft.

Don't know if there are gearing options available?. 

But it basically changes the ,2mm shaft to a 3mm so you can use a steel pinion gear.

• Like 1

Tamiya makes a sports tuned 370. It also comes with the adapter to for normal pinions.

its a good pep up in the speed stakes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The 370 is the same as used in the Tamtech Gear cars I guess? When using the black Sport Tuned 370 be sure that it has the red endbell. This is the faster motor. Even faster (and cheaper) is the Graupner speed 300 series. Both motors are brushed and work perfect with the HW esc.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, qatmix said:

Tamiya makes a sports tuned 370

I did not know that.  Thank you for that info.  Since it's got that Sport Tuned sticker, I might get it. I was worried that a brushless would destroy plastic-augmented dog bones, but Sport Tuned might be fine.  

Has anybody tried different steering springs?  I wonder if harder spring reduces the wobble when the steering is nearly straight? 

11 hours ago, qatmix said:

Tamiya makes a sports tuned 370. It also comes with the adapter to for normal pinions.

its a good pep up in the speed stakes.

Super,  thanks I might try this one as it comes with motor wires Pre installed 👨‍🔧

Any idea on the jump in speed, either motor RPM over stock etc?

There’s a really nice TC member on the main site who put a 380 ST in his DT02 Holiday Buggy for beach duty and he thought it was an really good hop up.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Super,  thanks I might try this one as it comes with motor wires Pre installed 👨‍🔧

Any idea on the jump in speed, either motor RPM over stock etc?

This site says an increase from 21km/hr to 27km/hr which sounds pretty good for the price

https://www.rcnz.co.nz/categories/electric-motors-and-accessories/brushed-motors/car-brushed-motors/tamiya-380-sport-tuned-motor/

• Thanks 1

so not to start a new topic, so a 380 can will fit ?

Is there any 370 brushless motors, besides for airplanes and such, but rotation is opposite i believe.

Thanx if you can provide an answer.

i'm still combing the cloud, even as i type.

If I get round to finishing mine we’ll see. I have a longcan brushless motor with 2s lipo. I have replaced all the plastic bits in the transmission with metal hop ups 

• Like 1

I tried a cheap brushless combo with mine, and it was much faster, but cogged terribly.

Just bought a Sport Tuned (sitting next to me on my desk) and will try it out and let you know once I get a pinion for it

• Like 1

Consider the cost of just adding a 3S battery too, that way you get a 50% speed boost (the ESC can handle 3S) without changing anything. You can still run the 2S battery for a more relaxed drive :lol:

• Like 1

well i found this, when looking for hop ups...

1:18TH SCALE MOTOR, INRUNNER, 0808-4100KV Castle Creations / Mamba Micro X ESC

and they also have it in a 5300 &8200 (that could be a bit much) on top end.

RCExpress had the Tamiya Sport tuned 370 so i ordered that last night.

Thanx for the replies, when it came down to it the Dual Rider was a no brainer when it came to a different RC for sure and the Video of these racing and leaning into turns was way too neat not to build one.

My goodness the Hop Me Ups sure added Up fast.

i didn't realize that this Lil' ride could be so tricked out, almost scary:o  i never putt my toe in the water, i simply dive in, this will be nifty, (do you like my old man words?) me to:lol: This will be Bosso Neato!

3 hours ago, Busdriver said:

If I get round to finishing mine we’ll see. I have a longcan brushless motor with 2s lipo. I have replaced all the plastic bits in the transmission with metal hop ups 

Tried to find the Hot Racing Trani gear housing (Alliexpress apparently has them but couldn't log into purchase)they're Out every where, so i ordered an Integy in gray metal,

internal gears are Hot Racing & Tamiya's New gears.

i can't wait (it'll be awhile before every thing comes in) to paint the Tamiya rider he's got pizza to deliver.

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it yet. The Traxxas LaTrax part 7575x is a 370 motor

I dropped one in my Dual Rider last night. It’s got plenty more speed without overpowering the whole chassis and gearbox. They are about $10 on eBay and a direct bolt in . 

• Like 2