Rilles

A modest Neo Fighter

Hi All, 

Came back to RC few weeks by restoring a 20 years old FF01 chassis. It was fun, I like it but unfortunately quickly broke one of the front pieces. While waiting for a spare part (quite hard to find) I was thinking that a buggy would probably better fit with my idea of RC fun.
After few hesitations, I finally ordered a basic Neo Fighter as it seems quite fun, easy to find and cheap replacement parts while open to some tuning.
It's a standard one (EU model with oil damper kit) and just added the ball bearing kit.

I unfortunately didn't took picture as I was building it but here is the final result. It was my first in a long time trial for body paint and I wanted to customize it a bit. Result is not as I expected but kids love the result so it's ok.
I wished the body to be more red (guess its because of the green applied on top of it, should have applied a kind of white intermediate?
As well as the wheels, I tried to color the white plastic in red but failed at selection of the good product :)

Now waiting to run it but it dosn't stop to rain since it's finished...

IMG_20200223_121858.jpg

• Like 8

I hope it stops raining for you soon buddy, your buggy will look even better in motion ;)

From what I understand, they are very tough buggies, enjoy it.

• Like 1

I'm planning to take some more pics outside once the level of water will be acceptable as it"s not a boat :D

Just kidding but seriously I'm currently wondering if I can make it go in really wet mud with the default ESC/motor. 
My road chassis is really collecting water when running, I don't know how the DT03 chassis will behave and if it will be like a filled bathtub or not.

A buggy is made to go in the mud for me but I would have preferred to try it with more dry conditions and I'm sure some mud will make it even more beautiful :wub::P
I would like to run it as it is to learn it's behaviour before upgrading to a waterproof brushless motor/ESC.

Any feedback from people from other rainy countries like mine (Belgium) ?

55 minutes ago, Rilles said:

I'm currently wondering if I can make it go in really wet mud with the default ESC/motor. 

Any feedback from people from other rainy countries like mine (Belgium) ?

Thanks to its unusual layout, the DT-03 is more capable than most of surviving wet conditions with non-waterproof electronics. Even if the tub fills, the receiver and ESC are safely up on their little platform in front of the shock tower. As long as you don't submerge the car, or run without the shell, you'll be fine. 

There is snow right now, if I have time while still daylight I'll inaugurate it in few hours then.

As I wanted to set max ground clearance, I've currently setup the fix of the bottom of the damper in the most "inside" position and I've increased the preload for the rear damper as it seemed a bit "lazy" in static conditions, will see how it behaves in real.

IMG_20200227_152514.jpg

IMG_20200227_152229.jpg

1 hour ago, Rilles said:

There is snow right now, if I have time while still daylight I'll inaugurate it in few hours then.

As I wanted to set max ground clearance, I've currently setup the fix of the bottom of the damper in the most "inside" position and I've increased the preload for the rear damper as it seemed a bit "lazy" in static conditions, will see how it behaves in real.

IMG_20200227_152514.jpg

IMG_20200227_152229.jpg

The reason the rear is "lazy" is because the kit springs are way too soft. Core RC 2.6lb (CR188) springs are good, or if you want a set then 53927 is the one. I use the gold springs at the rear from this set. 

First quick run this morning with iced road and compact snow. It confirms that my first tuning will be about shocks and probably front tires. Due to the cold and hard ground, the car is quite jumping all around and I find that the steering radius is really long (maybe also because I'm used to the behaviour of my FW FF01).
I'll start by following advices related to springs and probably setup some toe-in for the front wheels. 
Today was just a flat grass field so the car seemed quite "slow", I'll try more funny places or look faster than I thought to a new motor kit.

Few pictures in the sun, tried taking a video but impossible without a third hand :D

IMG_20200228_080325b.jpg

IMG_20200228_075747b.jpg

• Like 6

A bit of news from my side.

First: I really enjoy this dt03, it's just fun.

I finally set damper fixation back to their "original" settings and for the rear, I set the "spring plate" above the travel reductor added a midsize spacer and I feel it's now ok for the suspension part.

Was already feeling it was a bit slow so I gave it a bit of muscle upgrade with this:IMG_20200314_152731.thumb.jpg.83f7510c7cd51edfb4b5d2a53a80dd24.jpg

IMG_20200314_152805.thumb.jpg.4ce5ed87d6e1a587e104862320dde08f.jpg

As I'm still running NiMh battery I'm not enjoying the full potential of the motor but it's already way better and fun and enough for my driving skills.
Once I'll get used to this I'll upgrade to LiPo.

Next potentials upgrades are probably

• stronger/faster servo with full turnbuckle set (but probably keep the double suspension arm and just use the bottom par of the set for easy tuning)
  • tires and even wondering to get some biggest wheel just for fun in grass
  • Like 2

Nice! I have ended up using the steering arm and rear turnbuckles for tuning, but leaving the front upper fixed arms for stiffness as they give some good camber anyway. 

Before going all the way to a better servo, get a kimbrough medium servo saver. Its way stiffer and more positive than the kit one. Helps steering a lot. 

Big wheels are super fun, but if you want a good step in the meantime that's quick, easy and cheap get some schumacher 4wd wide stagger rib yellow tyres and medium foam inserts for the front wheels. Will give you loads more front grip. 

If you go big wheels, you will need the Mad Bull steering parts bag to get the long axle front knuckles, then you can fit blitzer wheels. 

Thanks a lot for the tips. 
I have the same view on the front upper fixed arm.
I'll give a try to the servo saver before upgrading if still necessary and get a pair of schumacher tires as well.
Will go for bigger wheel later in the year when grass will be more high :)

• Like 1