TDanny

Is it worth making a Tamiya 1/16 display tank RC?

Hello,

I'm thinking about a new long term project a while now but it seems that time has come.

The 1/16 Tamiya Display Abrams is in discount in my LHS. To be honest I love building and tinkering with tanks but I'm not fancy about the extra functions which the MFU provides. I only like to drive my RC's. Maybe sounds boring but that's the truth...:)

So while the Full Op Abrams costs about 900 Bucks, the Display version costs only 300. I can get a complete gearbox and bearings for around 150.

Do you think it worth doing? I mean that the display version is the exact same as the Full Op version only excludes electronics... as far as I know. Are there differences in materials? I think no, the display version is made from the same Aluminium and ABS plastics...

What do you guys think?

Depends if you want to drive it round with sounds or not :)

I always build rc versions as they look good on the shelf and have the ability to be driven and have custom sounds.

Weigh up how much it will cost to get a static version up and running. The hull etc is still aluminium.

I recommend here for buying a full option version, always had great service from Felix.

https://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/katalog/en/

• Like 1

I think that sounds like a great project - re-engineering is always fun, and especially if the mechanics essentially drop in - then all you need to do is make your own pew pew noises ;o)

Go for it!

Jx

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't forget turret and gun movement, that the cool bit of tanks. Being able to move those whilst driving.

1 hour ago, waterbok said:

Don't forget turret and gun movement, that the cool bit of tanks. Being able to move those whilst driving.

I don' t care about those functions eighter. I just like to cruise around. Trail running with tank. 

And I love to build. I'm addict. You know when you open a new kits box. Feel the smell. Hold those bags with all those tiny metal parts, screws and nuts. I feel like  Im in heaven. :)