TITANIUM94010

XV01 upgrades

I'm looking to buy a new RC rally car, specifically a XV01. This would be my first rally rc, as all of my other RCs are Crawlers, SCTs, and Monster trucks.

I'm thinking of upgrading it to brushless, and I am looking at a HW Justock 13.5T brushless motor. 

Is this a good motor and do you guys have other motor reccomendations?

Thanks!

I can’t speak to that particular motor but I have two XV-01s and I have tried a few different brushless motors. 

The motor I like best is a finned 540 brushless. It isn’t a true 540 (actually a 380) but it has just the right amount of power, it’s very light, and it gives me out of the box the performance I normally get with lots of tuning. 

I am running 3000kv on 3s. Works well. 

Here's an older article about turns vs KV:

https://www.rccaraction.com/brushless-motors-turns-vs-kv-rating/

3000 kv is about mid-way between a 13.5t and a 17.5t motor. 3000 kv can work on either 2s or 3s.

You posted on another thread about battery compartment size. The compartment will fit most standard 2s lipo up to about 5000 mah. However, the opening between the battery compartment and the top side of the chassis (where your ESC is) is kind of small, so traxxas connectors might not fit without enlarging the hole. The new Traxxas ID connectors are very large, so those definitely will not fit. Xt60 connects are a tight fit. Luckily, making the hole larger is very easy.

Back to the battery: I use a shorty 3s lipo with 4000mah capacity, and even that battery is quite large. I am looking for something more like a 3s 2000 to 2400 mah .

I always have a tendency to stuff huge motors in my cars, and then to use very large batteries. This is not a great idea. A properly sized motor, and moderately sized batteries, often deliver better performance, more fun, and more run-time. The XV-01 can certainly handle a LOT (probably anything you want to throw at it) but I have found the modest electronics really do deliver the most fun. With the smaller electronics, the acceleration, turning, and runtimes are much better.

I run a 13.5t brushless in mine and it's always been a blast to drive.  Not uncontrollable but plenty of speed.

Can I pop in here and as what people would think of the brushed Tamiya 27T dirt tuned motor would go in one of these?

57 minutes ago, KalEl63 said:

Can I pop in here and as what people would think of the brushed Tamiya 27T dirt tuned motor would go in one of these?

That would probably be lacking since the consensus seems to be 13.5T or around 3000kv. Look at the Super Stock 23T motors which will be similar to the 13.5T. This is out of spec for the TBLE-02S if thats what you have, but then go for a 13.5T brushless. If you have a Hobbywing 1060 (since everyone seems to run those) then go for thr Super Stock 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

That would probably be lacking since the consensus seems to be 13.5T or around 3000kv. Look at the Super Stock 23T motors which will be similar to the 13.5T. This is out of spec for the TBLE-02S if thats what you have, but then go for a 13.5T brushless. If you have a Hobbywing 1060 (since everyone seems to run those) then go for thr Super Stock 

Yeah I don’t want to go 13.5T as I know what it’s like in a 4WD buggy

so a 23T brushed do you mean a BZ or RZ and I will be running a HW ESC

2 minutes ago, KalEl63 said:

Yeah I don’t want to go 13.5T as I know what it’s like in a 4WD buggy

so a 23T brushed do you mean a BZ or RZ and I will be running a HW ESC

Yep, BZ or RZ or TZ. I know there is a difference between them but real world I think they're very similar. I have a TZ and HW1060 on 2S lipo in my Top Force and it goes really well. Similar to my 17.5T race buggies which are geared aggressivley and run fans to keep temps in check

• Like 1

I don’t see much issue going for a 13.5, given the xv01 has that closed up radio box if your running the stock tble02s  esc you won’t be able to gear it up as much as the motor can take as the esc will just thermal out. 

thermal management is a bit trickier with the xv01 unless your willing to forgo the mudguard and therefore the radio box cover.  Whatever you do the thermal management will be your limiting factor, particularly if you want to run a lower quality, lower amp rating esc. 

in theory a higher quality higher amp esc won’t need to work so hard so hopefully produce less heat, allowing you to run whatever motor you please. I think the 13.5t that’s able to be geared properly would be plenty though. 

• Like 1

I use a 13.5 on 2S in mine, and it's just right for me. My friend uses a 5700/Mamba X in his, and I'm slower with it than my car because it's so overpowered. A guy in our club runs top 5 times with a silver can. 

I'd go with something between 10.5-17.5, geared properly, depending upon where you intend to run the car.

As far as heat goes, you can install a 30mm fan in the forward electronics compartment to give some airflow.

You'll need at least a 275mm sensor cable, and installing the ESC at the front of the electronics box makes wiring much easier.

• Like 1

I'm running a 13.5T blue bottle with a TBLE02 and NimH batteries and its a blast. Its a T rather than rally car but a blast all the same

• Like 1

3 hours ago, montogeek said:

brushless ESC that can fit inside the XV01 electronics box

Tble02.

22 hours ago, montogeek said:

Can somebody recommend a brushless ESC that can fit inside the XV01 electronics box? Thanks!

Hobbywing Justock, XR10 Pro Stock,  XR10, etc..

Tekin RSX, RS G2, RS Pro

SkyRC TS120, Stock Spec

Pretty much any racing ESC, really, even the Castle Mamba X, which is a very tight fit.

SkyRC TS120 is under a hundo, Justocks are less than $50. TLBE02 gets too hot with zesty motors.