donut_v2

3D printing wheels and tires for the Renault Alpine A110 and Citroen 2cv

I've gone back to work on this one since my 2cv body finally arrived. Here's the body propped up by a couple of wheels. The wheels and tires are just freely standing under the fenders to see how they look.

unfinishedc2v.jpg.f56cdc390325ca53c0f729fd65faaeec.jpg

I will try printing a grille and the door handles.

Update: Just printed it and realized it was wrong. I need to make a "Charleston" grille.

Grille3D.JPG.18828dadf60a3b7cde64322d9b01acff.JPG   wronggrille.jpg.67e54bd2b05c33b91aca8c6ca2776337.jpg   chargrille.jpg.dbc05a44a6cdfa1d3f8d02ba37d454fd.jpg

• Like 4

Absolutely INCREDIBLE work you've been doing!!! 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

I've wondered for years, at least since the M02 Beetle came out, WHY are the Tires always so FAT?? 😲  OK, good for performance and in Racing... But Tamiya gets so close to true scale on some of these Cars, why haven't they ever come out with Scale width and height Tires?? 

The Cars you've been working on are classic examples. Start with the Beetle... The largest Tire offered on them was a 175/80-15". Most were smaller. You're nearly spot on with your VW Wheels and Tires!! They look amazing too! 

I've got no experience with the 2CV... But know well what they look like. Your Wheels look perfect! I know you'll perfect your RTV Molding process - you might even have a marketable product!! 👍👍💯 

I read where you were having issues with the Center Caps.... If I may offer a suggestion...

Take a look at the Center Caps on most Axial SCX10s. The Caps have 4mm deep holes in the middle, and actually screw onto the Axle Threads, over the Wheel Nuts, for a very secure fit, that's also easily removed.

Just throwing it out there... 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Absolutely INCREDIBLE work you've been doing!!! 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

I've wondered for years, at least since the M02 Beetle came out, WHY are the Tires always so FAT?? 😲  OK, good for performance and in Racing... But Tamiya gets so close to true scale on some of these Cars, why haven't they ever come out with Scale width and height Tires?? 

The Cars you've been working on are classic examples. Start with the Beetle... The largest Tire offered on them was a 175/80-15". Most were smaller. You're nearly spot on with your VW Wheels and Tires!! They look amazing too! 

I've got no experience with the 2CV... But know well what they look like. Your Wheels look perfect! I know you'll perfect your RTV Molding process - you might even have a marketable product!! 👍👍💯 

I read where you were having issues with the Center Caps.... If I may offer a suggestion...

Take a look at the Center Caps on most Axial SCX10s. The Caps have 4mm deep holes in the middle, and actually screw onto the Axle Threads, over the Wheel Nuts, for a very secure fit, that's also easily removed.

Just throwing it out there... 😉

Thanks! 

I absolutely agree with you regarding wheels and tires on the Tamiya classic cars -- same small diameter fat tires on all of them.

I'm working on make some white side walls for the Karmann Ghia. Something like this --

spacer.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, donut_v2 said:

Thanks! 

I absolutely agree with you regarding wheels and tires on the Tamiya classic cars -- same small diameter fat tires on all of them.

I'm working on make some white side walls for the Karmann Ghia. Something like this --

spacer.png

OH MY!! I wish there was a Love Button! 😁

My future Project (IF I can find $$$), is the Karmann Ghia - on the M08 Chassis. I needed an excuse to get a M08, I learned how to Drive in a Karmann Ghia. My Dad told me "Boy, if you can Drive THIS, you could drive anything!" 

He was Right! That Shifter seemed to have a 1 foot circular swing.... and SOMEWHERE in there, was 4 Gears!! 😜😂 So yeah, definitely a memory I want to recreate! THANK YOU Tamiya! 

I would even love to try to run it on what in Scale, I used to call "Bicycle Tyres" when I was a Teen....

A LONG TIME AGO!! 😖

Looks like completion is going to be delayed a bit. I discovered that replacements for those awful looking window trim decals can be 3d printed decently. I am going to try adding the chrome detail that 's supposed to be on top of the rubber gasket.

windowtrimraw.jpg

• Like 1

Outstanding work!

How do you 3d model something like that? Do you scan the decal and trace over it or do you have a way of templating from the shell?

On 7/31/2020 at 6:28 PM, Superluminal said:

Outstanding work!

How do you 3d model something like that? Do you scan the decal and trace over it or do you have a way of templating from the shell?

Correct, I just scan the decal and trace over it. I suppose you could also scan the side of the shell.

The chrome frame on this one is too thick.

windowtrimraw2.jpg.16f3e37ccb2e3111a76af7a4002583ff.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome detail work! Respect!

The 3d print is also flawless. What process is that?

• Like 1

Everytime I see this work, it just leaves me speechless! Incredibly good, both from designing, but also from the finish.:wub:

The 2 CV will look upper cool in the end. Can´t wait your work on the Karmann some day!

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 3

see that empty space below my typing? that's called lost for words.............................

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ACCEL said:

see that empty space below my typing? that's called lost for words.............................

+1 !! 😲

It looks so fragile.... but that's what makes it look AWESOME!

That window trim takes me back to my first g/fs Dolly, the window would fly open at any given opportunity.  Top work!

• Like 1

Seriously.... This is Master Class work!! 👌👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏  There are so many possibilities for skinny Tyre Cars to have unprecedented accuracy.

Any chance you're going to take a chance on the 12" Mini Wheels?

That is so good.

Love the silver colour - is that paint? Actually looks like a piece of pressed metal

• Like 1

Amazing work with the prints so far! Any chance you will be making the designs available anywhere for other people to use/buy? Thingiverse, MyMiniFactory, Shapeways etc.?

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 11:54 PM, Superluminal said:

That is so good.

Love the silver colour - is that paint? Actually looks like a piece of pressed metal

I used Alclad polished aluminum. Alclad Chrome would have been better but it's not available anywhere in my part of the world right now.

It can actually look a lot better by giving the hub caps a smooth glossy black base. Since I just wanted to see what it would look light, I just sprayed the 3d printed part with a single coat of black paint then gave it a coat of Alclad.

Here are the door trims and grille frame printed in Alclad.

chrome.jpg.15941bb977a5594636f2ced6a4f0f03e.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2020 at 11:44 PM, Carmine A said:

Seriously.... This is Master Class work!! 👌👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏  There are so many possibilities for skinny Tyre Cars to have unprecedented accuracy.

Thanks! 

Oh no! You just planted a seed in my mind suggesting the Mini wheels! Too many ideas and not enough time (and money).

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, donut_v2 said:

Thanks! 

Oh no! You just planted a seed in my mind suggesting the Mini wheels! Too many ideas and not enough time (and money).

My Friend, I understand!!  Keep it in the back of your mind... I believe if anyone can do this, you can!! 👍👍

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 4:44 PM, Carmine A said:

12"? Why so big! My 1:1 mini has 10" wheels!

I'm not sure how real scale wheels will look on the tamiya mini body - the early one (with the separate grille piece) has smaller wheel arches I think so that would probably be the best choice. I'm thinking that the arches on the later one-piece body will look too big for scale 10" wheels. 

For most of the cars tamiya makes, the standard 'one-size' wheels and tyres don't look too bad as they are generally modern racing cars, but as you say, there are several classic cars for which the modern wheel and tyre proportions look silly (not limited to being too wide as you suggest, but also taller sidewall profile). The 40th anniversary Porsche 934 model (and the black version) use the wheels from the 90's 993 GT2, for example; their width is fine, but their sidewall profile is far too low for that car. 

What's even worse, at least in my opinion, than reusing similar-looking wheels that aren't quite right, is making a totally new set of wheels specifically for a new model and still getting the proportions totally wrong - I'm thinking of the 30th anniversary Porsche 934 here, with those ridiculous huge wheels and rubber-band tyres. Looks like something out of 'pimp my ride'. 

@donut_v2 - what you're doing is really cool - I can't wait to see the finished model, and even more so what you will do next!

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, rich_f said:

I'm not sure how real scale wheels will look on the tamiya mini body - the early one (with the separate grille piece) has smaller wheel arches I think so that would probably be the best choice. I'm thinking that the arches on the later one-piece body will look too big for scale 10" wheels. 

When Tamiya released the first Mini with the smaller wheel arches body, they used the front tires from 43018 QD On-Road Spare Tire Set F&R, the spare tire set for the QD Ferrari F40 and QD Honda NSX. I reckon Tamiya at that time didn't anticipate that the M-chassis would get so popular and that keeping cost down by "recycling" the QD-tires was sensible although they weren't so suited for the much higher power of the M-chassis when compared to the QD's.  Once the M-chassis got popular, Tamiya standardized on the larger M-specific 60D tires first used on the Alpine A110, leading to the new Mini-body with larger arches. A compromise indeed, especially when considering that the QD (55D) tires were already too big for the Mini.

50 minutes ago, rich_f said:

For most of the cars tamiya makes, the standard 'one-size' wheels and tyres don't look too bad as they are generally modern racing cars, but as you say, there are several classic cars for which the modern wheel and tyre proportions look silly (not limited to being too wide as you suggest, but also taller sidewall profile). The 40th anniversary Porsche 934 model (and the black version) use the wheels from the 90's 993 GT2, for example; their width is fine, but their sidewall profile is far too low for that car. 

I couldn't agree more. It also annoys me that Tamiya "recycles" existing wheels so much instead of making correct new wheels for new bodies. Sometimes it's an acceptable compromise, sometimes it isn't. Using the Humvee wheels for the 240Z Rally is just one example of many where I think the new body had deserved more correct wheels. Also, the use of low profile tires with large wheels on for instance the 1/10 Countach, 1/10 Celica Turbo  and Ford Capri is really sad, especially for a premium static model kit manufacturer like Tamiya.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@rich_f. TEN INCH!!? 😲 My only experience with Minis has been with U.S. spec Cars, with 1.3L Engines and 12" Tires...

(I'm guessing - more displacement to offset gut clogging Emission Controls - and the Wheels because 155/12 is the smallest Tire sold in America) 

The "60D" (which is only 36mm or 1.42" diameter), has been used to represent small Wheels on a variety of their Cars - and INCORRECT on most!  I'm SURE the Accounting Dept had a say in that!! 

Going "true scale" would result in a 51D sized Wheel, which would NEVER fit around the C-Hubs. If they came out with a stronger 55D Wheel, that could be a more realistic compromise... 

So... WHY do the Wheels on the NSU TT Jagermeister look SO SMALL?? Is it just an illusion, maybe the taller boxy Body?