donut_v2

3D printing wheels and tires for the Renault Alpine A110 and Citroen 2cv

I've gone back to work on this one since my 2cv body finally arrived. Here's the body propped up by a couple of wheels. The wheels and tires are just freely standing under the fenders to see how they look.

unfinishedc2v.jpg.f56cdc390325ca53c0f729fd65faaeec.jpg

I will try printing a grille and the door handles.

Update: Just printed it and realized it was wrong. I need to make a "Charleston" grille.

Grille3D.JPG.18828dadf60a3b7cde64322d9b01acff.JPG   wronggrille.jpg.67e54bd2b05c33b91aca8c6ca2776337.jpg   chargrille.jpg.dbc05a44a6cdfa1d3f8d02ba37d454fd.jpg

• Like 3

Absolutely INCREDIBLE work you've been doing!!! 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

I've wondered for years, at least since the M02 Beetle came out, WHY are the Tires always so FAT?? 😲  OK, good for performance and in Racing... But Tamiya gets so close to true scale on some of these Cars, why haven't they ever come out with Scale width and height Tires?? 

The Cars you've been working on are classic examples. Start with the Beetle... The largest Tire offered on them was a 175/80-15". Most were smaller. You're nearly spot on with your VW Wheels and Tires!! They look amazing too! 

I've got no experience with the 2CV... But know well what they look like. Your Wheels look perfect! I know you'll perfect your RTV Molding process - you might even have a marketable product!! 👍👍💯 

I read where you were having issues with the Center Caps.... If I may offer a suggestion...

Take a look at the Center Caps on most Axial SCX10s. The Caps have 4mm deep holes in the middle, and actually screw onto the Axle Threads, over the Wheel Nuts, for a very secure fit, that's also easily removed.

Just throwing it out there... 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Absolutely INCREDIBLE work you've been doing!!! 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

I've wondered for years, at least since the M02 Beetle came out, WHY are the Tires always so FAT?? 😲  OK, good for performance and in Racing... But Tamiya gets so close to true scale on some of these Cars, why haven't they ever come out with Scale width and height Tires?? 

The Cars you've been working on are classic examples. Start with the Beetle... The largest Tire offered on them was a 175/80-15". Most were smaller. You're nearly spot on with your VW Wheels and Tires!! They look amazing too! 

I've got no experience with the 2CV... But know well what they look like. Your Wheels look perfect! I know you'll perfect your RTV Molding process - you might even have a marketable product!! 👍👍💯 

I read where you were having issues with the Center Caps.... If I may offer a suggestion...

Take a look at the Center Caps on most Axial SCX10s. The Caps have 4mm deep holes in the middle, and actually screw onto the Axle Threads, over the Wheel Nuts, for a very secure fit, that's also easily removed.

Just throwing it out there... 😉

Thanks! 

I absolutely agree with you regarding wheels and tires on the Tamiya classic cars -- same small diameter fat tires on all of them.

I'm working on make some white side walls for the Karmann Ghia. Something like this --

spacer.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, donut_v2 said:

Thanks! 

I absolutely agree with you regarding wheels and tires on the Tamiya classic cars -- same small diameter fat tires on all of them.

I'm working on make some white side walls for the Karmann Ghia. Something like this --

spacer.png

OH MY!! I wish there was a Love Button! 😁

My future Project (IF I can find $$$), is the Karmann Ghia - on the M08 Chassis. I needed an excuse to get a M08, I learned how to Drive in a Karmann Ghia. My Dad told me "Boy, if you can Drive THIS, you could drive anything!" 

He was Right! That Shifter seemed to have a 1 foot circular swing.... and SOMEWHERE in there, was 4 Gears!! 😜😂 So yeah, definitely a memory I want to recreate! THANK YOU Tamiya! 

I would even love to try to run it on what in Scale, I used to call "Bicycle Tyres" when I was a Teen....

A LONG TIME AGO!! 😖

Looks like completion is going to be delayed a bit. I discovered that replacements for those awful looking window trim decals can be 3d printed decently. I am going to try adding the chrome detail that 's supposed to be on top of the rubber gasket.

windowtrimraw.jpg

• Like 1

Outstanding work!

How do you 3d model something like that? Do you scan the decal and trace over it or do you have a way of templating from the shell?

On 7/31/2020 at 6:28 PM, Superluminal said:

Outstanding work!

How do you 3d model something like that? Do you scan the decal and trace over it or do you have a way of templating from the shell?

Correct, I just scan the decal and trace over it. I suppose you could also scan the side of the shell.

The chrome frame on this one is too thick.

windowtrimraw2.jpg.16f3e37ccb2e3111a76af7a4002583ff.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome detail work! Respect!

The 3d print is also flawless. What process is that?

• Like 1

Everytime I see this work, it just leaves me speechless! Incredibly good, both from designing, but also from the finish.:wub:

The 2 CV will look upper cool in the end. Can´t wait your work on the Karmann some day!

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 2

see that empty space below my typing? that's called lost for words.............................

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ACCEL said:

see that empty space below my typing? that's called lost for words.............................

+1 !! 😲

It looks so fragile.... but that's what makes it look AWESOME!

That window trim takes me back to my first g/fs Dolly, the window would fly open at any given opportunity.  Top work!

• Like 1

Seriously.... This is Master Class work!! 👌👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏  There are so many possibilities for skinny Tyre Cars to have unprecedented accuracy.

Any chance you're going to take a chance on the 12" Mini Wheels?

Amazing work with the prints so far! Any chance you will be making the designs available anywhere for other people to use/buy? Thingiverse, MyMiniFactory, Shapeways etc.?

• Like 1