A while ago, I decided I wanted to alter the suspension setup on my Jugg2 runner. The leaf spring setup was not flexible enough and didn't have enough travel. I also wanted to eliminate the 4 wheel steering at the same time. 

So I started off by removing the stock suspension, and adding a txt-1 front axle guard and 4 link mounts. 

SAM_1892.jpg

I had to modify the link mounts slightly so that I could get the 4 link geometry right. Fortunately I already had replaced the stock suspension links with aluminium ones, so it was easy to shorten them to the length required. I also had to remove the front chassis cross brace and replace them with aluminium bars, to allow room for the monster servo when the suspension was at full compression.

SAM_1894.jpg
SAM_1895.jpg

I also made a rear steering lockout that bolted directly to the axle:

SAM_1899.jpg

I took it out and tried it, and having the 4 link with coil overs on the front and leaf spring rear end gave a good middle ground suspension movement. The leaf springs prevented the worst of the torque effects, and the softer, more pliable suspension at the front gave better movement over obstacles.

However after a while I decided to go for coil overs all round.

As I couldn't find reasonable  priced TXT spares on the internet (£28 just to get the 2 grey suspension mounts / axle guard mounts) I made my own from aluminium:

SAM_1901.jpg

SAM_1902.jpg

I painted them and fitted them to the axle. I designed them to make it easy it lock the rear steering. I can still adjust toe in / out by using different length spacers between the track rod ends and the suspension mounts.

SAM_1910.jpg

SAM_1911.jpg
SAM_1912.jpg

I tried this new system out this afternoon, it has a lot more travel now than before and works really well over rough ground, but is now more susceptible to torque effects, so I might add and extra set of shocks to the rear to stiffen it back up again, I guess it will depend on how I plan to run it.

If anyone is interested in doing their own (machining or 3D printing), here's the dimensional diagram.

SAM_1917.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Man thats awesome!!!!! Id put the leafs back, as you stated it soaks up the torquw twist.

17 hours ago, GTodd said:

Man thats awesome!!!!! Id put the leafs back, as you stated it soaks up the torquw twist.

I must admit I do prefer the 4 link system, as the design and number of components is a lot less than with the leafs. I'm thinking the most likely outcome is to double up on the rear shocks, as it's mostly the rear end that suffers from torque twist when pulling off fast. Plus, in all fairness, I've only run it on 3S (with silver cans) at the moment, I think the torque twist will be a lot less severe on 2S.

Looks sweet, how are you bolting it on? Long screws all the way through?

I’ve nearly got an .Stl file made, must wait on a warm day to test print as my printer lives in the shed. 

1 hour ago, ad456 said:

Looks sweet, how are you bolting it on? Long screws all the way through?

I’ve nearly got an .Stl file made, must wait on a warm day to test print as my printer lives in the shed. 

Yep, I've got some 3mmx50 stainless socket caps bolts that go up from underneath the axle, and then thread into the top of the bracket.

You might be waiting a long time for a warm day the way the weather has been recently.

Yeah, I might have to break the space heater out if it’s not warmer by Saturday;)