Andy Stewart1

What should I do with these?

I dug out my old RC stuff. This has not been touched in 30 years. 

The yokomo is exactly as it was from its last race so all that needs is a battery pack to get going. (I threw all the batteries away when I was storing this lot). I am trying to get a saddle pack for it, I can’t see how a stick pack would fit in either the yoko or optima. 

The vanquish was my first ‘serious’ car. I’d had remote control cars from very young the nikko type deal ...in fact I have those in the loft still. 

But i remember it being slow and quite weak so I entered the world of racing and it all kind of went crazy. 

Then the optima bought 2nd hand followed by the yoko which was the only one which was competitive against the myriad of super modified Schumacher cats. 

Not sure what parts can still be got for any of these, I’m sure I’ll be scratching around somewhat. But would like to see them all at least running before possibly putting for sale who knows...

Donate them all to me!!! :P

or.... restore them all and get them running - loads of fun to be had with them!

But just for the record, I endorse option 1 ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jonboy1 said:

Donate them all to me!!! :P

or.... restore them all and get them running - loads of fun to be had with them!

But just for the record, I endorse option 1 ;) 

Cannot find a nimh saddle pack anywhere!! what happened !? 

Would these be any good? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163915373625

Might well just be just giving them to you :) 

or is it possible / easy to cut up a stick pack and solder them? I do have the means to do so. 

12 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

much as it goes against my better judgement to help you when it will deter you from going through with you giving them to me, here goes:

https://tamiyabase.com/articles/53-how-to/148-fitting-lipo-cells-in-tamiya-packed-batteries

"sob sob"

;) 

Oh blimey, thank you!! Plenty to get my teeth into there ... I’ll digest it all 

Is an easy option is to just buy Lipo cells? I was told they are a bit scary and... would they work with all this old equipment ? 

Hmm seems not, I would need a new ESC and then radio gear and I kinda just wanted to buy some ni-mh and go and play. 

Might be able to create something that will accommodate a stick pack pushed through the drive train belt !! :-0

Ignore @jonboy1 - even if you did send them to him they would just end up in a box never to see the light of day again :P:D

• Haha 1

Just now, Peter_B said:

Ignore @jonboy1 - even if you did send them to him they would just end up in a box never to see the light of day again :P:D

How very dare you!! I'll have you know all my boxes are clear plastic so they see plenty of light!! :angry:

1 minute ago, jonboy1 said:

How very dare you!! I'll have you know all my boxes are clear plastic so they see plenty of light!! :angry:

Yes but only artificial light.

Never again would those poor cars feel sunlight on their lexan bodies, or feel dirt beneath their tyres

:P

6 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

Yes but only artificial light.

Never again would those poor cars feel sunlight on their lexan bodies, or feel dirt beneath their tyres

:P

.... you mean like your Blackfoot, Monster Beetle and RC10? :P not to mention the others (don't mention them, whatever you do!!)

11 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

.... you mean like your Blackfoot, Monster Beetle and RC10? :P not to mention the others (don't mention them, whatever you do!!)

Yes exactly like those!

But you know I can't let those out because the paint work on them is just too nice.

1 hour ago, Peter_B said:

Yes exactly like those!

But you know I can't let those out because the paint work on them is just too nice.

But that's the same issue with mine you see. Ok, so admittedly most of mine are still pending paint, but its the same principle of care at its core! :P

You're right about those paint jobs though - pieces of art if ever I saw one :wub: must be a fantastically good looking and charming (talented and modest goes without saying, but I will) person that did those! B)

Deepest apologies to @Andy Stewart1 for hijacking your thread - but @Peter_B started it!

No problem @johnboy1 ....

I bought the VOLTS saddle pack from the ebay link I posted. 

But model sport tells me they are unsuitable and for 1/14th scale

i don’t understand 

they are 2100mah 7.2v ni-mh why won’t they work....

Hmmm :huh:

I'm sure someone more experienced on this will chip in (as you may have gathered me and finished running cars don't mix) but I reckon they are saying that because 2100mah probably won't last very long in a 1/10 scale buggy. It will absolutely work as far as I can tell, it's just that it will drain pretty quick, probably sub 10 minutes.

But it will work - don't worry! :) 

• Thanks 1

Take your time, clean em up a bit, repair what's needed (ebay is your friend) set them up however you want to, they're your cars after all.

• Like 1

Hey guys. 

Would anybody happen to know where I might be able to find the bottom piece of this shock absorber. I can only assume it broke off and that’s why I removed them. 

88184313-AE9D-4A4E-9AC7-0CD51B119CFC.jpeg

On 3/2/2020 at 10:36 AM, Andy Stewart1 said:

Cannot find a nimh saddle pack anywhere!! what happened !? 

The racing world swapped to Lipo! 

I run these in my Mid :-

https://www.muzzoommodels.co.uk/lipo-saddle-holder-kyosho

A modern slipper swap (someone was selling a shaft, that took a modern team Accociated slipper), brushless esc and motor , and you're good to go! (I'd recommend a quick servo too, they go like stink!! ) 

My build thread.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 11:42 PM, Andy Stewart1 said:

Thanks for replies, things are clearer to me now. 

@NWarty not sure if that’s good or bad

Most definitely good ;) 

• Like 1