J@mes

Super HotShot vs Bigwig

All comes down to personal choice as both re-re have same motor, are 1 shock per corner and ballraced....

I lucky don't have to choose as now have both, got the BigWig first though.

What is your end use? vintage racer, basher, shelfer?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the response @Baddon I got a Rere bigwig to build & having a look at the SHS as I hadn’t realised the BW was in the HS family. I guess the steering & the styling are the big differences. I would only be using either for light running and looking at when on the shelf! 

The Super Hotshot of course. Because. That's all there is to it.

Gearbox-wise they are the same. For the money, the Bigwig is probably the better deal. Both were Tamiya's top buggy during their original reigns, the Bigwig essentially supplanting the Super Shot. The Super Shot was a Hot Shot with all the hop-ups in the kit. The Bigwig was Tamiya's ultimate attempt for the Hot Shot buggy range, making sure it swallowed 8.4v power out of the box (as it had come into vogue by then).

The Super Hot Shot uses a boxed chassis overlaid with a roll cage. Its shocks are "added on" to the basic Hot Shot design. The steering is direct and has bump steer. The twin front shocks have less travel than the Bigwig's in stock form. Obviously you get the cool gold wheels and aggressive-looking pin spike tires. It also has the nice solid prop shaft that comes with the standard Hot Shot.

The Bigwig uses a wide open tub chassis to fit 8.4 battery out of the box (other 'Shot series cars can be adapted). It has a unique rack and pinion steering system to cut down on bumpsteer. It has a "coat hanger" wire prop shaft. Being the 10th anniversary car, there's some other details like the molded-in engine detailing, exhaust pipes, specially designed body etc.  

Both are great. I've had a Super Shot runner for years (probably my favorite 4wd buggy) and just purchased a Bigwig re-re to run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So what justifies the 35% extra on the price of the Supershot than the Bigwig?

The Super Hotshot probably has a a higher parts count (although I haven't counted each part to be 100% sure). It comes with gold plated wheels which might add some cost. The SHS has a nice solid prop shaft.  It also comes with an ESC which the Bigwig re-re does not (in the US market anyway). Judging on the price of the Hot Shot re-re, I wasn't surprised at the price of the Super (Hot) Shot re-re. I was surprised at the price of the Bigwig re-re being so reasonable. Granted Tamiya shaved some cost by leaving out the ESC, but you still got the GT Tuned motor and full ball bearings in both kits. Being the 10th anniversary buggy and some of the "uniqueness" around it, I was fully prepared to pay the same price as the SHS was going for,  yet was pleasantly surprised at its affordability. The price was low enough to tempt me into buying one recently for a runner. Then again, its tough to understand Tamiya's price points. Why was the Super Astute way more than the Top Force?  Why was the 4wd Boomerang re-re cheaper than the (Nova)Fox re-re? Is there real gold in those wheels?:lol: I'm sure Tamiya has it all figured out in the end with projected unit sales, cost of manufacture, etc.

• Thanks 1

I have an unused vintage supershot with unused controller for  $450 if interested. Not much more than a re re when you factor in shipping. 

DD9927B2-CCD7-4B56-B19B-993082C6284E.jpeg