Sign in to follow this  
Gazzalene

Double sided/servo tape

I am fed up with sticking a esc down only to find its came loose or moved from slight tension of the wires! I remember years ago the stuff would stick never to come off again!  Tried different types from shops with no luck. This is always the white foam type. What do the guys here in the UK use? My LHS is limited to stuff,being a small shop.

Try to seek mirror tape. I use it over two years now, it is used to fit mirros on walls, you have it for outdoor and indoor use. I always use the indoor tape for bathrooms. Holds up to 60kg and it is weather resistent.

the manufaturer here in east europe is Tesa.

33FF06FE-B74C-4070-8242-0140D5732E8D.jpeg

I feel your pain this was always my absolute bugbear when racing illustrated by huge cable ties holding down the servos. I always found Velcro the best for sticking down static items. 

I tried to buy some today actually. It’s hard to get hold of. Pun intended.

Andy, I am glad its not just me, yesterday I went to b+q to see what tape they had. Came back with some quite expensive Velcro . The glue is very strong and the parts will not come apart BUT still has a bit of play,ok for a esc. I am going to try the "mirror" tape tip by Fabia.

3M Heavy Duty Exterior Mounting Tape, Holds 5 pounds.  1"x60" 

We have mounted a little office number on the outside door over 10 years ago.  Sun, rain, snow, it's not coming off.  I suspect that I could have mounted an old iphone on the door, and it would have stayed there for 10 years.  

bRCBPdc.jpg

• Like 1

I use this stuff for everything around the house: ceiling lights in the conservatory, pictures on painted walls, doorbell and door number on upvc front door... oh, and rc car electrics. :lol:

spacer.png

Edited by martinjpayne

Give the surfaces a wipe with some Isopropyl alcohol or similar before sticking them down, it does help, even a new chassis has probably got traces of mould release agent on.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NobbySideways said:

Give the surfaces a wipe with some Isopropyl alcohol or similar before sticking them down, it does help, even a new chassis has probably got traces of mould release agent on.

Good point, I never clean the surfaces prior. will do that also next time. got some stuff to look out for now.

Both 3M VHB tape and Tesa double sided are great tapes. I use vhb grey and clear Tesa depending on what’s closest.

Wiping both surfaces well with Isopropyl/rubbing alcohol and warm the adhesive before applying it is how I do the phone screens at work and it seems to work a treat. It’s kept many an esc in place too. The cleaning is the most important part in my eyes. 

• Like 1

Agree cleaning is more important than most tape or pads

It also helps preserve the chassis if restoring vintage - because the tape will ultimately ‘rub’ off with hard pressed thumbs 

I’ve lost count of the number of lovely chassis (or electronics boxes / plates) ruined by previous owners removing stubborn tape with screw drivers ...

Would be even more careful if anchoring to any anodised or plated part 

On 3/5/2020 at 8:56 PM, FoxShot said:

3M Command Strips. :)

These are great as they are very strong and also easily removed. The only problem is that they are a tad pricey for how many you get in a packet.